• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modified Mag NSX Haters?

I was excited to see an article about an NSX in the May 2009 issue of Modified Mag. Sat down to read it and felt like the author really has issues with not only NSX's but Hondas in general.

It was written by Jay Chen and it's called "More with Less". Not sure what this guys problem is, but below is the first paragraph in the article. Tell me what you think:

"NSX owners all have one thing in common: they're either closet or outright elitists. That why the fastest way to get NSX groupies in an uproar is to tell them the holy C30A or C32B engine that resides in in the NSX is nothing more than an overgrown version of the B-series found in a lowly Integra or Civic. They'll conveniently ignore the fact that the single cam versions of the C-Series engine all ended up in Acura Legend Sedans. But NSX elitists will have none of this and will forum-jump you with the help of thousands of their elitist friends until you are posted into submission. Once you get past the usual owners NSX owner's mentality, tuning the C-Series engine revolves around much of the same concepts and technologies as tuning a B-Series engine........" (Blah...Blah)

Does anyone know this Jay Chen moron and why he feels it's OK to personally insult NSX owners and to slam the NSX before he actually gets to writing the article he was assigned to??? What a worm.....

Last edited:
Re: Modified Mag May 2009 NSX Hater?

Woaw! I just lost a TON of respects for Modified Mag!

I actually have a buddy who knows the editor of that mag...I will def send him a nasty gram! Why would someone allow that to get published? Why could a car mag for imports bash or stereo type owners like that? :mad:

My ITR has been all over that mag too

Jay Chen was the Engineering Editor of Sport Compact Car Magazine until it was discontinued. He is the owner of "Project NSX" and brought the car and subsequent articles to his new job at Modified Magazine.

I think the way he is talking about his own car is to emphasize the ease of tuning the NSX engines. It reads like satire about NSX owners thinking their engines are above all other honda engines to me.

Last edited:
Doesn't Jay Chen actually own a nsx? I know one of the writers of these import auto mags actually purchased one.

Well jay does have it right that many nsx owners can be elitists and or assholes. He doesn't bag on the car. He bags on some of the owners. I'd have to agree with Jay. After all, it is JUST a car :) I love it and all, but it still has 4 wheels, an engine and can be driven on the street like any other car out there. Until there is a flux capacitor, it's still just a car.

http://www.modified.com/features/sccp_0812_jay_chen_first_car_show/index.html

http://sportcompactcar.automotive.c...acura-nsx-vs-1990-honda-civic-tech/index.html

Last edited:
I haven't read the article yet, but since you bring it up I'm interested to see why he has issues. I wouldn't hold one writers opinion against the entire magazine. I really enjoyed Mike Specks article on a prime members NSX several months ago and they have been favorable to showing more NSX projects.

As far as the "elitists" part, I think there is some truth to that. However, to say your "closet" or "elitist" sounds like he has an axe to grind. Maybe he was caught up in that way too long evo vs nsx thread. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just an opinion of some guy.

Last edited:
lol, he owns that white nsx in the article. When he first acquired it, it was a a berlina black that was in very poor shape. considering how far it has come in such a short period of time, i would say that he likes his nsx very very much.

Him and other writers are very..how should i put this...complete wannabe losers who didn't even pass there english class back in 8th grade. I have NO respect for modified mag or any tuner mag. Most pass around writers and editors because they are owned by the same parent company. Everytime i pick up a magazine(normally because of an NSX) I constantly find misinformation, mispellings, improper grammar etc. This in very sad considering i consider them(as i am sure they wont admit) writers/editors over them actually being gear heads. I am sure he wrote this article out of one of us writing in to tell him how little he actually knows about his own NSX. I could tell you every difference AND similiarity between ALL C-series engines and could tell you here and now, he has no clue wtf he just wrote. Seriously how do these guys keep their jobs??

Re: Modified Mag May 2009 NSX Hater?

Woaw! I just lost a TON of respects for Modified Mag!

I actually have a buddy who knows the editor of that mag...I will def send him a nasty gram! Why would someone allow that to get published? Why could a car mag for imports bash or stereo type owners like that? :mad:

My ITR has been all over that mag too

The company is going to cut either Modified or Import Tuner, last thing I heard was Modified is the candidate.

I compared my NSX engine to an Accord actually. :wink::tongue::biggrin: All that aside the guy was trolling for attention to get more subscribers. I don't know him, so have no issues about the article. For all I know he might have hit his head and gone insane. It's possible. All opinions are valid be it one you agree with or not. I never had much interest in the mag anyway so the article does nothing to my thoughts about my NSX. I guess I am an elitist. :cool:

Tell me what you think:

"NSX owners all have one thing in common: they're either closet or outright elitists. That why the fastest way to get NSX groupies in an uproar is to tell them the holy C30A or C32B engine that resides in in the NSX is nothing more than an overgrown version of the B-series found in a lowly Integra or Civic. They'll conveniently ignore the fact that the single cam versions of the C-Series engine all ended up in Acura Legend Sedans. But NSX elitists will have none of this and will forum-jump you with the help of thousands of their elitist friends until you are posted into submission. Once you get past the usual owners NSX owner's mentality, tuning the C-Series engine revolves around much of the same concepts and technologies as tuning a B-Series engine........"

The dude is exactly right. NSX owners are elitists to varying degrees. Write up a post that compares a C30 to a B18 and emphasizes their similarities. The howl you hear would start a rucus almost as loud as the laughter the Nick Sitko thread generated. Of all the things someone could call another, I'd be fairly happy if someone named me an "elitist."

And the fact that this thread exists kinda proves the guys point...

But NSX elitists will have none of this and will forum-jump you with the help of thousands of their elitist friends until you are posted into submission.

I think the only other thing the editor could have added was that NSX owners are thin-skinned as well.

Jay was the editor for import tuner for many many years and has done some great writing, its just one article debating a point he decided on. he is a honda and a car nut in general and a nice guy...

I still had to give Jay crap for saying the 3.2L motor was stroked from the 3.0L and has a lower redline similarly to the S2000's 2.2 from 2.0L :rolleyes:.

Jay has contributed a ton to the industry over the years and dosn't need defending.

Maybe "Jay Chen" has a small "wee wee"?? ... that's all, "elitist" groups you find @ ANY layers of society/people, but that is part of the game and is normal, thanks to the "elitist" that maybe he is attacking some of us are able to find such amazing cars barely used on the 40 to 50 K's ... oh he forgot to mention that the NSX interior is as good as a 89 Prelude *cough *cough ...

Unfortunately you find some "agression" inside the Honda family, but that I blame into the fact that some people have small "wee-wee's" .... :biggrin::biggrin:

Oscar

PS: It's 3am got back from a party, i better go sleep ... lol

Jay is a great guy and a true car enthusiast. Although his comment may appear cynical, I will take to heart whatever he has to say.

Regards,

Danny

Which issue is this in?

I used to be very "in" with the Modified group until they got bought out by Primedia and then Source Interlink. IMHO Rob Laidlaw sold Modified at the best time for the highest money possible, and it just went downhill from there. It was always just a fluff mag with nice photography. I went to SCC for content.

With the economy tanking, import titles are dropping like flies. I am starting to appreciate them more as I think their time had past and they will eventually be just another small title (like Hot Rod) in the magazine rack. Its a shame.

I should pick this issue up. I used to have a 99 year free subscription but Source Interlink found it and snubbed it out. I still have a prob actually paying for an issue nowadays :tongue:

OT: Yay! I hit 2000 posts today!

You know what. I can't be mad. Everyone has their opinions on cars. Are we elitist? Um hello, we're enthusiast, it doesn tmatter what vehicle you decide to purchase or enjoy, in one way or another, you bought it, to feel special to YOU. If being called an elitist is how some people want to look at it, so be it. At the end of the day, I get to enjoy a car, that most people never will, and for that I am grateful.

Modding a car/engine/suspension etc, in general can be looked at the same way, from civics all they way up to lambos etc! Only difference is how much you spend for the parts :tongue:

ehhh

when somebody asks me how my nsx is, my first reply is its just a honda

I was excited to see an article about an NSX in the May 2009 issue of Modified Mag. Sat down to read it and felt like the author really has issues with not only NSX's but Hondas in general.

It was written by Jay Chen and it's called "More with Less". Not sure what this guys problem is, but below is the first paragraph in the article. Tell me what you think:

"NSX owners all have one thing in common: they're either closet or outright elitists. That why the fastest way to get NSX groupies in an uproar is to tell them the holy C30A or C32B engine that resides in in the NSX is nothing more than an overgrown version of the B-series found in a lowly Integra or Civic. They'll conveniently ignore the fact that the single cam versions of the C-Series engine all ended up in Acura Legend Sedans. But NSX elitists will have none of this and will forum-jump you with the help of thousands of their elitist friends until you are posted into submission. Once you get past the usual owners NSX owner's mentality, tuning the C-Series engine revolves around much of the same concepts and technologies as tuning a B-Series engine........" (Blah...Blah)

Does anyone know this Jay Chen moron and why he feels it's OK to personally insult NSX owners and to slam the NSX before he actually gets to writing the article he was assigned to??? What a worm.....

Good job, you have done a great job proving Jay's point...:rolleyes:

Our C-series motor has the same basic development as a B series, so what. Is there another 4 cylinder that can be so easily and cheaply built to 500+ HP! That is not a bad lineage, IMO. Our motor works OK, no doubt, but it was designed 20 years ago with no real upgrades! Compare the internals to a modern K series, there has been a world of advances, especially in the bottom end! Where is the direct port injections Porsche and Audi have gained power and economy? Why was there no advance to the largest variable valve train I have ever seen? Our motor weighs almost the same as an LS7, with 60 % the HP, 40% to torque, cost the same to rebuild it as a full crate motor replacement for the GM(as long as they are in business:rolleyes:)

The bottom line is the NSX was an amazing engineering feat for 1989 when the design work was started, went places never thought possible back then. But come on, my first 386 computer was mind blowing too! Now I wouldn't even use that computer for a door stop, but the NSX is still a classic! I love mine because it is a classic, it has lines which will never be duplicated, a basic platform which we may never see as elegantly built in such a 'cost is no object' approach and a close to perfect combination of Grand Touring Car, luxury sports car and dependable Honda reliability. I love it because it marks a point in history, like a Dino Ferrari, not because it is the best motor there ever will be!

All's I know is I'm just sittin' there, pickin' my nose, mindin' my own business, and somebody calls me an elitist.
:confused:

All's I know is I'm just sittin' there, pickin' my nose, mindin' my own business, and somebody calls me an elitist.
:confused:

+1:biggrin:

All I know is that now, since this is getting more and more notoriety, some old school Legend owners will say that their cars come with "NSX" engines in it :biggrin: ..

Oscar

Hi

The NSX is all about how it makes me feel. I have never had any negative comments on my car. There have always been people that goes just wowwow.

It makes me feel good and that is why I bought it. Great if it impresses people. If it does not I do not care.

If the reason for buying this car was a way of penis enlargements I have a lot of super good offers on mail almost every minute which is cheaper then buying a NSX. :rolleyes:

So who cares. I know I am not a elitist. No man with a good car needs to be justified.

Regards

Last edited:
Back