• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modified NSX

Don't know about everyone else but in my opinion, the NSX becomes a less prestigious car when it becomes modified. The addition of aftermarket rear wing, veilside, painted rims, and etc. just makes the car lose its original "meant to be" super sports car (exotic) look.

Over-modifications turn the legendary NSX into another wanna-be civic, accord, integra, or prelude and as a result loses its prestigiousness.

It's just my opinion and I know I can't tell you what to or not to do with your NSX.

Last edited:
I agree.

But the flipside of that coin is if all NSX's looked the same, our hobby would be boring. Some cars look good modified and some look good stock.

My Supra is slightly modified. I plan to keep the NSX stock (except for the 02 up rear conversion).

Tastefully modified is the key here. Stock trim can be boring to me (which is subjective), and modifications can either help enhance or destroy the characteristics of the car. Mods also are there for those who want to unleash the NSX potentials. For me, if it doesn't enhance the performance of the car then it doesn't belong on it.

My choice too is stock. But each to their own.

I do enjoy seeing the amount of work it takes to turn out these modified cars and everyone needs a hobby! :smile:

Awwwww Rick, now I'm going to be all subconscious about putting on a set of white or black rims now! lol You know I wanted to try! :biggrin:

I'll have to park my car around the corner when I come visit now cause I'll be too embarrassed lol :wink: :tongue: Or roll up on the scooter instead!

I love the modified clean look on most cars. SEMA is one of the greatest car shows in the world... I would say that the majority of car lovers prefer mods over stock at this point... wanting individuality over mass production.. which is what Honda started for us with the NSX.

I have to say I understand to each there own... but I think the NSX is the best car to modify IMO.. and I like the Stock as well. Just from a performance and modern styling standard though...

1) The camel lights spice car was in a modified class and pulled from the track while winning

2) The Real time NSX won the world challege twice then switched to the RSX and TSX

3)Very rarly raced in the states much other than that. Bad classing of the car exsisted

4) In Japan... the NSX dominates the JGTC and Super GT... AND the NSX-R isnt produced for us

5) Factor X, Driving Ambitions, Turbo Lab, JDR Motorsports, Billy, Kip, Igor.. all start showing up in the ranking at the redline... moding the car to specs similar that of the Super GT

IMO.. I think the this is the start to a revolutionary change to the NSX and making it's greatness seen by this side of the world.

I also love the quote the VrooM uses as his signature...

"anyone can restore a car...it takes a real man to cut one up" -Chip Foose

David,

No big deal. I'm not going to harass you when you put on painted rims (lol).

I guess the words "tastefully modified" is good. Extremities in modification, to me, is just wrong on a car so perfectly built like the NSX.

its really up to what the owner wants. the furthest that i would go with my car would be a 02 + conversion ( is that considered a modification if i use factory parts ) and a turbo or super charger kit. ( acura dealers use to use comptech parts and warranty them ) does that make it non oem?

the nsx is a great car but it isn't without flaws. i don't think a stock nsx would be fast enough or good sounding enough for me stock.

For me, it depends on what is being modified and why. If it is for performance improvements that can be practically used and modifications can be felt, then the car becomes more fun to drive. Flashy body kits and monster wheels look cool, but don't make the car more fun.

I think the NSX needs to be modified to be in the same realm of today's supercars. Not saying that it needs crazy wings, etc on the street but some FI, suspension, and brakes go a long way in waking up this old platform. Its difficult for people to understand that have not been in a 500rwhp NSX to truely appreciate what a bit more power can do to the car.

I think there are several mods that actually make the car more appealing. The stock wheels on the 91-93 cars leave a lot to be desired. Replacing them with 17"/18" wheels really help to fill up those cavernous wheel wells. Also the stock "Darth Vader" exhaust is outdated. There are numerous exhaust systems that look and sound much better.

In Southern California, most NSX owners have some sort of mods on the car, especially rims and lowering with springs or coilovers.

You must of got punked by Civic, Accord, Integra or Prelude for you to degrade Modified NSX's.
So your saying overly modification NSX like Comptech NSX, Factor X, JGTC 300 / 500 are all modified wanna-be civic, accord, integra or prelude?

If you haven't notice, those who have stock NSX's dont talk much bout their car on this forum. "check out my stock rims, or look guys, i just took pics of my stock interior, what you think?" or "hey guys, how do you like my stock front bumper, i just waxed it and i want to show you guys on here"
Those who do show their stock car is when they first purchase their car, they would like to show those on here what condition it's in.

Anywho, have a great day and week. :smile:
So Cal guys, see you all this Thurs at South Coast Acura

Don't know about everyone else but in my opinion, the NSX becomes a less prestigious car when it becomes modified. The addition of aftermarket rear wing, veilside, painted rims, and etc. just makes the car lose its original "meant to be" super sports car (exotic) look.

Over-modifications turn the legendary NSX into another wanna-be civic, accord, integra, or prelude and as a result loses its prestigiousness.

It's just my opinion and I know I can't tell you what to or not to do with your NSX.

If you haven't notice, those who have stock NSX's dont talk much bout their car on this forum. "check out my stock rims, or look guys, i just took pics of my stock interior, what you think?" or "hey guys, how do you like my stock front bumper, i just waxed it and i want to show you guys on here"
Those who do show their stock car is when they first purchase their car, they would like to show those on here what condition it's in.
LOL, you can't have missed the 11,204,837,842 pictures of my stock car that I've posted over the last 3 1/2 years! :)

And while I will always complement you on your car being an outstanding example of a show car, IMO it's not an improvement over the stock body. In that respect, I understand where the OP is coming from (although I would NEVER call it a wanna be Civic).

Seriously, aside from a scooped hood, I don't see any body kits or parts that I care for, that I consider an upgrade from the original.

After all this work it's just going to be a turbo 3.5L civic with the motor in the back :confused:

DSCN6550.jpg

Jeff, when you say "all this work" are you referring to the sway bar or the clamp install? :confused:

LOl :biggrin: He meant the front caliper paint:tongue:

Frankly, I’ve always sort of marveled at the way the stock-heads and the mod-freaks get along on this forum. I can recognize hard work and the desire to be unique, but in general I don’t lust over cars in the for-sale section unless they at least come with the OEM parts.

It’s weird. These days I long for an early coupe (exactly like Omega2’s avatar), with absolutely zero mods on the outside but a CTSC or stage 3 build on the inside.
Anybody here ever have it and not flaunt it?:confused:

Jeff, when you say "all this work" are you referring to the sway bar or the clamp install? :confused:

John, I'm hurt I wanted detailed instructions on how to get that gunk off the wheel wells and make them shiny :tongue:

Well i'll chime in here. When i bought my 91 NSX my intentions were to only restore the car but after owning it just a short amount of time it became clear to me that the car was lacking in a few areas and needing upgrading.
I did restore the exterior using nothing but OEM parts (expensive to get all of the screws, clips and fasteners) but now that i am about to start on the interior i have decided to forget OEM and simply improve the areas that need improving.
I will not replace the dash with another factory one that will bubble.
The tape deck will be gone along with it the horrible sounding Bose speakers and EVERYTHING stereo related in the car.
I may go aftermarket with the seats or at the very least recover them in a new color (ivory doesnt do it for me).
Ivory carpet is an accident waiting to happen so new color carpet is going in.
I'm on my second factory antenna and it needs replacing again.
I replaced my disaster of an engine cover with a nice looking CF one.
My brake rotors were always rusty looking so they got replaced with zinc coated ones.
My calipers were horrible looking so they got PCd.
The factory rims on a 91 are completely cheap and dated looking so they are gone too.
The original exhaust sounded fine to me but those cat eye tips were awful looking so i went comptech and while i was at it i thought i would try to free up a few ponies so i went with aftermarket headers and tp.

Those are just the things i have spotted since November, i'm sure i will find more.

Honda did not build the perfect car here and unless you own a type R, S or Zandari then i don't see the harm in upgrading were needed.

I'm not a fan of most of the body kits i see either and there is some truly awful mods i have seen done to some NSXs but i don't think it takes a genius to realize that if you parked a stock NSX next to one that was tastefully modified and told 100 random strangers to pick one i doubt many would be picking the fat fives and the tape deck over one with a nice set of Volks that fill the wheel wells and a 7" lcd screen w/ navi.:confused:

Back