• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mods list advice?

hi everybody, my name is jay and i am getting my dream car very soon. i can't wait to work on it as soon as i get the car. i want to make a list of mod so i can do it right, step my step.
i am not bother about the look right now, i just want to work on the engine and suspension first. so what is a proper step to start? i am looking at 400 to 450hp. can somebody please give me some advice on the mods step my step? and how much am i lookin for to spend to get to that stage?

topgearnsx said:
hi everybody, my name is jay and i am getting my dream car very soon. i can't wait to work on it as soon as i get the car. i want to make a list of mod so i can do it right, step my step.
i am not bother about the look right now, i just want to work on the engine and suspension first. so what is a proper step to start? i am looking at 400 to 450hp. can somebody please give me some advice on the mods step my step? and how much am i lookin for to spend to get to that stage?

There's only one route to 450 hp:

Intake + headers + exhaust + throttle body (arguable) + manifiold + forced induction OR SOS stroker engine package + AEM (safest).

This setup will net you about 360-380rwhp, or about 450bhp.

Suspension wise there are endless threads about which suspension setup is best for your needs. Search around.

Have fun w/ the mods and welcome to Prime :smile:

I recommend

Jon Martin Service Director at Cerritos Acura, Designer of the 3.8L Stroker Motor

562-402-5281

However if you are located south past OC or way up north then I would say go to the ones closest to you recommended.

ediddynsx said:
I recommend

Jon Martin Service Director at Cerritos Acura, Designer of the 3.8L Stroker Motor

562-402-5281

Yes, indeed, particularly for your potential power needs. A great deal of FI experience as well. Excellent NSX tech.

He is the only guy I trust with my car besides Jon K. from HKS or Fastrax :smile:

But I do give props to the other guys too....:smile:

high numbers,

custom turbo kit + aem ems tune would give you that much hp

the0ne said:
high numbers,

custom turbo kit + aem ems tune would give you that much hp

For 450rwhp you are correct.

I'm not sure if that's what our original poster was looking for but 450bhp is easily attainable with standard FI options. An AEM isn't necessarily required with a top-notch tune (although I would invest in one anyways).

NSXGMS said:
Some very popular sites for parts:

www.scienceofspeed.com

www.daliracing.com

www.downforce.biz

In CA, I would highly recommend these mechanics:

Autowave in Huntington Beach;

Niello Acura in Sacramento;

Greenlight Honda in San Diego

thank you for all your helps! i am trying to looking turbo kit for these cars, but i couldn't find any. i remember i seem a thread about twin turbo on our cars. do they even make turbos kits for nsx?

NSXGMS said:
For 450rwhp you are correct.

I'm not sure if that's what our original poster was looking for but 450bhp is easily attainable with standard FI options. An AEM isn't necessarily required with a top-notch tune (although I would invest in one anyways).

for 400whp, what's the $ #'s i am looking at?

topgearnsx said:

You are only 17years old, do one thing at a time, take your time man. You can start by getting the NSX first, then spend some money and get the maintenance up to date. Depending on what you are rolling right now, you might find a pleasant surprise that stock NSX is a lot faster than you thought.

Don't be like a lot of rice boys who drive Civics/Accord/Camry, then when they finally getting a sport car. They forgot what they were driving and shoot for unrealistic #s.

topgearnsx said:

For 400rwhp I would strongly suggest an AEM. 400rwhp is pushing the skills of even a crack tuner.

With AEM and install plus all the parts metioned in my first post plan on spending $16,000-20,000 depending on what parts you choose and who you know...:wink:

Gotta pay to play--NSX isn't a Supra.:cool:

nsxsupra said:
You are only 17years old

Doh! I was beginning to sense that...:redface:

Look--you're not going to be able to squeeze into an NSX for 20K and put $5,500 into it and be dragging Supras.

If that's what you want--power--with all due respect the NSX isn't for you. If you're serious, buy a really nice NSX (spend the extra $5K) own it for 6 mos, make some relationships, learn the car and then mod based on what you want to do.

The NSX isn't inexpensive to maintain. Also, mods aren't cheap and HP/$ sucks. Unless you have $15K lying around and oodles of free time forget about big HP numbers. Just enjoy the car for what it is.

nsxsupra said:
You are only 17years old, do one thing at a time, take your time man. You can start by getting the NSX first, then spend some money and get the maintenance up to date. Depending on what you are rolling right now, you might find a pleasant surprise that stock NSX is a lot faster than you thought.

Don't be like a lot of rice boys who drive Civics/Accord/Camry, then when they finally getting a sport car. They forgot what they were driving and shoot for unrealistic #s.

i had two 3000gt, one is a vr4 stock, 320hp. but i sold it last month. i am selling my other one to get the nsx. and i also have a 04 mustang, planning to keep that for school and work. by the way, i hate ricer! i know what kind of car i am getting, i am not buying this car just for the look. i did a lot of rearch before i come to this beauty, but i am going to take my time to work on it.

NSXGMS said:
Doh! I was beginning to sense that...:redface:

Look--you're not going to be able to squeeze into an NSX for 20K and put $5,500 into it and be dragging Supras.

If that's what you want--power--with all due respect the NSX isn't for you. If you're serious, buy a really nice NSX (spend the extra $5K) own it for 6 mos, make some relationships, learn the car and then mod based on what you want to do.

The NSX isn't inexpensive to maintain. Also, mods aren't cheap and HP/$ sucks. Unless you have $15K lying around and oodles of free time forget about big HP numbers. Just enjoy the car for what it is.

i know the rate v.s. hp on these car suck, as well as maintain. i am planning spending my time to work on it and drive my other car. as it comes to money, i really don't have extra 15k lying around for emergency or upgrade. i was thinking upgrading step by step.

17?!?! wtf :eek: ......seriously man no offense but 17 year olds have no business owning an NSX........but if you end up getting one........don't ruin the image of an NSX owner..........most of the owners are mature older guys......we don't need a kid giving us a bad image with the cops or people.

1. Don't rice out the car or there will be some serious ass whooping.
2. Respect your elders when you meet them.
3. Respect the car for what it is.
4. Listen to the guys here if you are serious in learning about the car.
5. Don't be trying to act hard ass with the car either or else a ass whooping will be handed.

You seem pretty cool but I can also tell with the nieve talk you have going on. How did you know he was 17 Jason?

Don't tell me you another one of those rich taiwanese kids with money and don't appreciate the value of working hard or money. :cool: I hate those F**ckers makes me want to punch them everytime I see them. They have such bad attitudes for people who suck off of mommy and daddy's money from Taiwan.....typical Taiwanese kid situation.......mom and dad in Taiwan and kid lives here for school with unlimited money to spend.

When I was 17 there was no chance in hell I would be thinking of getting an NSX, but I guess now its possible with the banged up, salvaged, high mileage, need a lot of work ones out there for sale for under 30k.

Well whatever you do good luck and come to some of the meets if you want to get to know some of the owners out there and get to know the cars.

Must be nice to own two 3000 gt's let alone one and a mustang? ok you come from a rich family....and seriously don't give any BS about working for it..........not everyone is blessed with a rich family. But you seem like you got your head on straight so kudos to you.

ediddynsx said:
17?!?! wtf :eek: ......seriously man no offense but 17 year olds have no business owning an NSX........but if you end up getting one........don't ruin the image of an NSX owner..........most of the owners are mature older guys......we don't need a kid giving us a bad image with the cops or people.

1. Don't rice out the car or there will be some serious ass whooping.
2. Respect your elders when you meet them.
3. Respect the car for what it is.
4. Listen to the guys here if you are serious in learning about the car.
5. Don't be trying to act hard ass with the car either or else a ass whooping will be handed.

You seem pretty cool but I can also tell with the nieve talk you have going on. How did you know he was 17 Jason?

Don't tell me you another one of those rich taiwanese kids with money and don't appreciate the value of working hard or money. :cool:

When I was 17 there was no chance in hell I would be thinking of getting an NSX, but I guess now its possible with the banged up, salvaged, high mileage, need a lot of work ones out there for sale for under 30k.

Well whatever you do good luck and come to some of the meets if you want to get to know some of the owners out there and get to know the cars.

actually i turned 18 last month. i know it sounds crazy owned 3 cars at this
age. i could understand where all of you coming from, i had the same reaction in my other thread before, i don't want to go off topic and try to get attention from everybody. i really respect my cars and in no way i am going to make bad images for these car.
anyway, thanks for all your infor and advice. i am going to call
Jon Martin Service Director at Cerritos Acura this weekend to find out the details.
if you guys have anymore great web for nsx parts or any good shop, please post them. thanks

topgearnsx said:
i know the rate v.s. hp on these car suck, as well as maintain. i am planning spending my time to work on it and drive my other car. as it comes to money, i really don't have extra 15k lying around for emergency or upgrade. i was thinking upgrading step by step.

Good attitude. Step by step means many years for you. As long as you can accept that go for it.

However--if you buy an NSX do it right. Buy the nicest one you can find with all the maintenance accounted for. NEVER mod before maintenance.

Spend a lot of time on Prime studying maintenance costs, service intervals, common problems with early cars, what to look for, etc. It's all here. And very easy to find if you look--much more so than many other car forums.

There is so much information here about the NSX it's astounding. Also incredible is the knowledge and skill some of our members here have in mechanics, engineering, fabrication and design. Listen to the senior members here with all ears.

The NSX is a car for a serious, mature and financially stable person. If you are one of those people then go for it. I can't think of very many members here under 20 however. There's a reason for that. The NSX is a commitment of sorts for most young people. I'm assuming you're looking at the lowest priced NSXs. These are going to be 91-92 cars unless salvaged. Remember--the NSX may be reliable as any car ever made--but a 1991 is still 15 years old! Stuff breaks--more than a 2005. Just because the purchase price is low doesn't meant it's inexpensive.

9/10 trolls who post like you become combative with us--you have not. That's a good start and if you are the type of person who should drive an NSX I hope you find a beauty and stick around.

G

ediddynsx said:
There was a big thread a while ago. The guy is real deal though, definitely not a poser.

BTW: I had my first $40k car when I was 15years old, I be crazy to turn it down, got it months before I even got the license, went through 2 more even more expensive cars until I finally purchased my first car on my own at 19. You appreciate a lot more if you earn it yourself.

There are a lot of even younger driver with mega nice cars in Sydney, Bay Area, Southern Cal. The big difference is if they can sustain same life style down the road on their own.

I have no problem with young people driving nice cars, otherwise I be pulling out my hairs.

Last edited:
You seem pretty cool so don't take anything the wrong way from me.
Theres more snobby little rich kids out there then there are humble guys like Jason and others on here. I just can't stand them as you can tell :cool:

Anyways feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Jon Martin is the only guy to talk to about the NSX.....he has played with N/A and F/I. There are others out there too but I think Jon Martin is the most qualified out of them.

and I agree with what G said.......well said my man. :wink:

nsxsupra said:
There was a big thread a while ago. The guy is real deal though, definitely not a poser.

BTW: I had my first $40k car when I was 15years old, I be crazy to turn it down, got it months before I even got the license, went through 2 more even more expensive cars until I finally purchased my first car on my own at 19. You appreciate a lot more if you earn it yourself.

There are a lot of even younger driver with mega nice cars in Sydney, Bay Area, Southern Cal. The big difference is if they can sustain same life style down the road on their own.

I have no problem with young people driving nice cars, otherwise I be pulling out my hairs.

You are a lucky guy also Jason I am glad you did not turn out to be like the others. My kids will be lucky if they get an Accord let alone a 40k car at 15.

ediddynsx said:
You are a lucky guy also Jason I am glad you did not turn out to be like the others. My kids will be lucky if they get an Accord let alone a 40k car at 15.
I think we are really hijacking the original posters thread.:tongue:

Well, you are probably familiar with Diamond Bar. I have seen kids driving 575, 360 Modena, Skyline R34s etc. In my case it really is not a big deal.

Anyway, I wish I can have the same ability to do the same for my kids as a parent one day. Definitely no sports car for any 16year olds though, not without at least 2 years of driving experience.

Maybe not a big deal for you but it is a big deal for most of the people of my generation or older. They did not get the privilege of having 40k cars or more. When I was in High School the best car was a 1991 or 1992 Maxima and a 1992 integra rs. Other than that people were taking the bus, walking home, or getting picked up by someone like their parents.

Most of the kids if they had cars were driving beat up trucks, vw's and etc.....sorry didn't meant to hijack the thread. My apologies....I just shake my head when I see "kids" in cars that they have not worked for or deserve......and no just because you get straight A's does not mean you get a 40k car. My two cents and by the way those parents who spoil their kids in Diamond Bar should be held accountable as well for not teaching the kid how to earn it. My kid will never be driving a 360 unless he earns it himself. I am sorry if you don't seem like its a big deal but it is a big deal to have a 40k car at 15.....I think 99% of the people on here would agree unless they grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Hi Jay,

Where I come from most 18-20 year people don't own a car. They simply don't have the money to buy and drive one and even if they do it will usually be an old second/third hand car. As far as I know, at the moment I'm the only NSX in a 700,000+ people town. Of course, there are many more expensive cars in town, but they are not own by 18-year olds. So reading about people of your age owning more than just one car or being able to spend money like crazy, well, it just really sounds like another world.

As far as your plans on modding the NSX you are going to buy, I would just say take your time for it.

The NSX is not a car your buy for just a year.
It's a car you can spend your life with.

Last edited:
Back