• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mods to make a Grand Touring NSX?

J-H

Registered Member
So lets say you're an aging baby-boomer (I am) and want to make your NSX more of a "Grand Touring" (comfortable and quiet) everyday car than a hard-edge race car.

What mods do folks do? Tires, suspension, noise suppression, etc?

Yea, I know, easy answer, just buy a more GT like car-but-I already love the NSX-just might want to soften the edges a bit. (Called-making it more wife friendly) The married guys know what I'm talking about here. <grin>

J-H said:
So lets say you're an aging baby-boomer (I am) and want to make your NSX more of a "Grand Touring" (comfortable and quiet) everyday car than a hard-edge race car.

Yea, I know, easy answer, just buy a more GT like car-but-I already love the NSX-just might want to soften the edges a bit. (Called-making it more wife friendly) The married guys know what I'm talking about here. <grin>

Actually, no offense intended but I'm married and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Compared to other sports cars (350z, S2000, 993) the NSX is very easy to live with. It corners and handles very well but doesn't beat you up at all on the freeway. Other than the fact that it's extremely low to the ground (which can make ingress/egress a challenge at times) it's a very easy car to live with.

Compared to other "GT" cars (M3) the NSX rides like a Lexus on the freeway. The current M3 (18" or 19" wheels) rides very rough compared to the NSX, in my experience. Granted you have the plus of a usable (by folks under 6' anyway) backseat but the long, heavy doors on the M3 make ingress/egress a challenge in tight parking areas too. Plus, and this is my opinion only, as awesome as the M3 is the stock exhaust sounds like garbage. That tinny resonance is horrible whereas the NSX uncorked sounds like a possessed demon.

Da Hapa said:
Actually, no offense intended but I'm married and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Compared to other sports cars (350z, S2000, 993) the NSX is very easy to live with. It corners and handles very well but doesn't beat you up at all on the freeway. Other than the fact that it's extremely low to the ground (which can make ingress/egress a challenge at times) it's a very easy car to live with.

Compared to other "GT" cars (M3) the NSX rides like a Lexus on the freeway. The current M3 (18" or 19" wheels) rides very rough compared to the NSX, in my experience. Granted you have the plus of a usable (by folks under 6' anyway) backseat but the long, heavy doors on the M3 make ingress/egress a challenge in tight parking areas too. Plus, and this is my opinion only, as awesome as the M3 is the stock exhaust sounds like garbage. That tinny resonance is horrible whereas the NSX uncorked sounds like a possessed demon.

I agree with everything you say about the NSX, I'm driving one now, and have owned (or at least driven) a number of "GT" type cars, including the M3.

The mod questions are with the idea of making a good thing even better...most mod talk here is to go "harder edge", just wondering out loud if anyone has gone "softer edge"

Now, about the marriage thing, guess I've just been married longer... :wink:

Seriously, my wife made a comment in the NSX the other day, that I suspect may impact the market for these cars. She said she feels unsafe so low to the ground, relative to the big trucks/SUVs taking over the highways. (This from a strong woman that is both a current pilot and former motorcycle rider) I pointed out that relative to the BMW bike I still ride, a NSX is crush proof!

J-H said:

we own a toyota, a BMW 540i, and a NSX.
i suggest you drive a BMW 5 series or an M3. that is what you are looking for.

willabeest said:
we own a toyota, a BMW 540i, and a NSX.
i suggest you drive a BMW 5 series or an M3. that is what you are looking for.

I'm an auto broker. Regularly, help folks buy and sell BMW, M-B, Lexus, Infiniti, etc, etc, GT and sports type cars (plus a lot of just ordinary cars and trucks). Which means I also drive those cars and have owned more than a few.

A BMW 5 series or M3 or other GT (or sports car) just doesn't excite me like a NSX, and those others are common as pickups, relatively speaking.

So has anyone intentionally done any "softer-edge" mods on an NSX?

I'm considering making a NSX my "business car". Sort of a rolling billboard, for the business, complete with personalized plates. Another consideration in this, is the "image" a NSX projects to the general public. That is a whole new topic and issue, to be brought up later! :rolleyes:

The NSX-T, especially the 97+ in its OEM configuration is a perfect Grand Touring. I wouldn't consider any mods. In fact, one knowledgeable insider NSX tech has mentioned that the 1999 or 2000 model years had even softer suspension rates than the 97-98, but I have never seen any factual confirmation.

The NSX-T is so compliant that to get the true sports car feel of the car, I started the slippery slope of adjustable sway bars, then Bilsteins, then Type R bars, race rotors ...... :wink:

J-H, I'm with you. My wife constantly complain the harsh ride and noisy engine/exhaust. Now I have Tein RA and Recaro seat myself, she dare not to put her make up on my car :biggrin:

ok, lets see, to make your wife happy about the ride, there's nothing to do with ride height: even you lifted it for 3 inches it still going to be low to ground.

Lets see, if you not interested in spirited driving, a slightly taller sidewall tires, an adjustable shocks which valving towards more comfort with comparable to stock spring rate. More sound dampening in trunk area, and doors. Maybe the firewall will help too.

Wow, whatever I suggested is something that I will never ever do......

Might as well make the wife happy in other aspects, and leave the nsx be a nsx.... ;)

NSXDreamer2 said:
J-H, I'm with you. My wife constantly complain the harsh ride and noisy engine/exhaust. Now I have Tein RA and Recaro seat myself, she dare not to put her make up on my car :biggrin:

ok, lets see, to make your wife happy about the ride, there's nothing to do with ride height: even you lifted it for 3 inches it still going to be low to ground.

Lets see, if you not interested in spirited driving, a slightly taller sidewall tires, an adjustable shocks which valving towards more comfort with comparable to stock spring rate. More sound dampening in trunk area, and doors. Maybe the firewall will help too.

Wow, whatever I suggested is something that I will never ever do......

Might as well make the wife happy in other aspects, and leave the nsx be a nsx.... ;)

I've got just enough sense to start leaving my wife out of this discussion! :biggrin: Actually, she is a remarkably tolerant lady who's spent some wild times beside me on some "interesting and challenging" airplane flights, boat trips, and sports car drives. (Once owned a no-heater, no-radio, full-race, hard-edged '64 Vette-and she drove the car to work a few times-complete with burn-your-legs sidepipes) Good woman-enough said about that.

The NSX is already a remarkably refined supercar in near stock condition-one of the things that I like so much about the '93 I'm driving/selling. It was used 4 years as a daily driver and I could see myself doing that, also. Just wondering if there are a few mods to make it even more refined without giving up those things that make an NSX what it is.

I'm guessing, tires, in particular, would make a noticable difference. Specific tire suggestions, anyone?

Sorta related comment. Right now besides the NSX, I'm driving/selling a nice '73 Datsun 240Z. Talk about the difference 20 years makes! That '73 Z was a pretty fine sports/gt car in those days...Feels like a crude truck compared to the '93 NSX!

J-H: I think you nailed it on the head. Your choice of wheel and tire will make a huge difference. If you have aftermarket springs, you may want to consider going back to OEM. If you have aftermarket wheels, you may consider going back to OEM, or at least getting new wheels in the same size. The more air, the more comfortable your ride. The tire itself will also make a huge difference in terms of ride quality and tire noise. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do know that some tires I've owned in the past have been very noisy compared to the ES100's I'm running now. Others can probably recommend a 'quiet' tire. You can also look into sound dampening materials like dynamat, although it can add considerable weight to the vehicle. I think prova4re did this and may have some thoughts on it. Another thing may be to replace the seat covers with new leather covers and add more padding -- although I personally find the NSX seats to be extremely comfortable as is.

I mayhave missed something but is your car stock?If bought used you can't be sure until you look to see if your springs and shocks are aftermarket,or have someone with nsx experience drive it to see.Older cars with oem original shocks can also get sloppy as the dampers loose effectiveness over the years.If you want a comfy susp just get an oem 95 or newer spring/shock combo.

docjohn said:
I mayhave missed something but is your car stock?If bought used you can't be sure until you look to see if your springs and shocks are aftermarket,or have someone with nsx experience drive it to see.Older cars with oem original shocks can also get sloppy as the dampers loose effectiveness over the years.If you want a comfy susp just get an oem 95 or newer spring/shock combo.

This is the current wheel/tire/suspension setup on the '93 NSX Coupe-89K miles.

17" and 16" Blades Steel OEM NSX wheels from 1998 to 2001 NSX models,
Falken Azenis Sport 245/45-17 (new) and 215/45-16 (50%) tires,
Eibach springs installed, OEM stock springs included with the car.

I'm already impressed and pleased with the car's general ride, handling and comfort level. Just wondering what the options might be when it comes time to change/upgrade the tires/suspension components. Just a subtle shift to the softer edge would be a goal. Maybe a little sound proofing. Stock seats feel great to me.

If I want to really pump the adrenlin, all it takes is a motorcycle street ride at rush hours with typical Cal traffic! :eek: The NSX doesn't have to be an all out performance machine.

The eibachs are slightly stiffer than stock,your dampers may be original,and if so I would go back to oem 95 or newer springs and new shocks.As far as tires for comfort,I have driven on pirelli p zero system and those tire were quiet, maybe some others can help you with grand touring tires.

Back