• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Monterrey Historics 2005 Planning / Please Help

Through a little planning and a little luck I am going to be in the Bay Area on 8/18 and was hoping to catch the Monterrey Historics Friday and Saturday.

Please help:

Are there a contingent of NSXers going that we might hook up with?

Where should we stay (on a budget)?

I hear that Friday is the best day for the races?

What should we do for the 2 days in your opinions?

Would love to meet up with some of you if you are going and get some of your local experience in planning.

Thank you in advance for any help!

:smile:

Nick, Friday is also the (only) day of the Concorso Italiano in Monterey. There are nine registered NSXes parking in the Acura Corral. This year the show features Alfa Romeo, but there will be about 250 Ferraris (including some Enzos),lots of women, about 100 Lambos that drive up from LA in the Lambo Club,lots of women, probably a Pagani Zonda or two, as well as vintage race cars, antiques and did I mention lots of women? :biggrin:

I plan to attend the Historics the next day. My wife and I would love to meet up with you if you do come to town.

ChopsJazz said:
Nick, Friday is also the (only) day of the Concorso Italiano in Monterey. There are nine registered NSXes parking in the Acura Corral. This year the show features Alfa Romeo, but there will be about 250 Ferraris (including some Enzos),lots of women, about 100 Lambos that drive up from LA in the Lambo Club,lots of women, probably a Pagani Zonda or two, as well as vintage race cars, antiques and did I mention lots of women? :biggrin:

I plan to attend the Historics the next day. My wife and I would love to meet up with you if you do come to town.

Hi Ken - would love to meet up with you & your wife as well as see some other NSXers that will be there! Sounds like Friday we should be joining you at Concorso Italiano and then the races on Saturday!

Questions:

- where would you recommend we stay (on a budget)?

- What time should we leave in the morning and where to park (or is there good public transportation)?

- How do the tickets work?

Thanks so much! It will be myself, my partner, and 2 friends from grade school so we will have a few folks as well...

Nick, there are, for all intents and purposes, no rooms left in Monterey. About twoo weeks ago I managed to get a couple of nights at a Days Inn in Salinas about 15 miles away. The number is (831) 759-9900. I wish I could be a little more help.

As far as ticket info for the Concorso, you'll have to check with them. Unless you have your NSX and a corral pass you won't be able to park in the corral area, but you will be able to walk through and ogle (this is practically as good as the shw itself!). In fact, make sure you stop by the NSX corral around noon as we will be having a little birthday bash with food and drink for me!

HTH

matteni said:
Hi Ken - would love to meet up with you & your wife as well as see some other NSXers that will be there!...

Unfortunately my wife and I cannot make it out for weekend festivities this year. But, from my past experience meeting Ken, Patti, and everyone else, you will have a great time. I also know that Ken likes white wine. ( :wink: For a birthday gift.)

DocL said:
Unfortunately my wife and I cannot make it out for weekend festivities this year. But, from my past experience meeting Ken, Patti, and everyone else, you will have a great time. I also know that Ken likes white wine. ( :wink: For a birthday gift.)

Just got my tickets for Concorso Italiano! Still looking for a place to stay if anyone has a lead.

Also - going to the historic races on Saturday! Woo hoo!

There is absolutley NOTHING in Salinas, (as far as attractions) so I would recommend considering staying in Santa Cruz - not too far away, nice 30-40 min drive down the coast and lots to do there too. Of course ideally if you'd planned far enough ahead, Pacific Grove would have been the place to stay - lovely old Victorian town, beautiful antique shops & fine restaurants. Still worth a visit in the evening if you have time.

If you choose Pacific Grove... Try the Borg's Ocean Front Motel... Ask for Upstairs Ocean View Room.... about $118.00 a night. Rooms are a little rustic, but the view is fantastic...(831) 375-2406

If you can't find rooms on the Monterery Peninsula or Salinas, you may want to see if rooms are available in Watsonville. I live in Santa Cruz and during the summer months it's not easy to find a hotel room here and Watsonville is a shorter drive to Monterey.

The Concorso/Historic Race/Concour de Elegance weekend locks up all of the hotel rooms in the area. You may get lucky and find a room in Seaside or Marina which are just North of Monterey and provide great access to Fort Ord for the Concorso.

Yes, there is NOTHING to do in Salinas. That's one of the reasons that i was able to get a room for two nights only one month out from the event. Salinas is only 15 minutes from Laguna Seca (the Historics) and only 20 minutes away from the Concorso. And the hotel rates that I was able to secure were nearlt half the price of anything out on the coast.

If you can get in, take a $60 tower room or a $30 cowboy room at the Hacienda Guest Lodge. Call them.

There is simply no better place to stay for this event if you are driving your NSX. Explore Del Venturi Road, then drive Nacimiento Road to the coast, or take G14 and G15 up to Carmel Valley Rd (PM me for directions before I go on vacation this Friday). I guarantee you will be thrilled with the place.

Links: http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/he.../a/hacienda.htm

http://hacienda.newhalltelecom.net/

You need to bring current registration and proof of insurance to get in the gate at Fort Hunter Liggett.

If they are full now, call on the day of your visit and you may find that a space has opened for you. It worked for me last year.

Beerdog said:
If you choose Pacific Grove... Try the Borg's Ocean Front Motel... Ask for Upstairs Ocean View Room.... about $118.00 a night. Rooms are a little rustic, but the view is fantastic...(831) 375-2406
we've stayed there many times over the years during our diving trips - good recommendation wrt view.

25 years ago the rooms were "rustic" ;)

Beerdog said:

Yep thats where im staying this year, its not too bad.

randomharmony said:
i have a place to stay at but no tickets. :frown:
I can sell you mine(Sat. & Sun.). I ordered in advance anticipating another vintage Formula 1 show, but alas, according to the schedule they won't be running this year. Kind of puts a damper on the weekend, but I'm sure it'll still be a good show.

Back