• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More of a Notice about Kumho LE Sports, than a alignment/tire pressure thread

I just wanted to share my experience with the Kumho LE Sport tires. I like to try out various brands for personal recollection and reviews since our rear tires don't very long. As soon as I had these tires mounted, I had an alignment that was close to 93+ specs but about 3mm toe. I am lowered about 1.4-1.5 inches on Dali/Bils coilovers. Here is a pic of the rears with a little over 2,000 miles:

1186729_10102000836803863_1871836281_n.jpg

I did have my rear pressure pretty high at about 40 psi I think and did not catch it in time to correct the inner treadwear... Mostly highway miles also.

I've been chatting with another member up here who used this exact brand/model and had 94 OEM alignment specs and his rears only lasted 3000 miles, so it would appear these particular tires are horrible on treadwear. I was afraid the shop may have somehow screwed up my alignment specs, but it appears that is not the case.

My last sets were FK452 and they lasted about 6k miles maybe without an alignment after I lowered the car. Needless to say I am extreme surprised and disappointed I essentially wasted ~$400 on some rear tires as it did not even last me 6 months...

I've had tires last over 10K miles, but the treadwear was closer to 400/360 or over 300. So how are you guys pulling off ~10K miles on tires like the Dunlop Z1?

Wow, that is disappointing. Have you had S-Drives?

Yep, same thing happened to me. 1 oil change and I needed new rears.

I'm getting new ones put on, waiting for the fronts to wear out before replacing all 4 with less shitty tires next year.

Last edited:
I got 14K out of my Kumho LE Sports and my car is lowered as well. Then again my alignment was set for almost zero toe. I usually run with 40 psi rear so I don't think that is the issue. When I ran at the 91 alignment specs I was hard pressed to get 7k.

I got 14K out of my Kumho LE Sports and my car is lowered as well. Then again my alignment was set for almost zero toe. I usually run with 40 psi rear so I don't think that is the issue. When I ran at the 91 alignment specs I was hard pressed to get 7k.

Where did you buy your LE Sports from? Maybe everyone else got a bad batch? Because so far 3 people are attesting to about 3K miles or less on the rear... And I only drive like a maniac about 25% of the time if not less.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that is disappointing. Have you had S-Drives?

I have not personally, but some if friends swear by them. I personally think they are direct competitors with the FK452. Similar tread pattern and performance, but the S-Drives cost a little more. I was mildly impressed with the FK452, but I will admit the LE Sports perform better, but at a much greater cost apparently. Honestly, I've tried the Falken 912 and the 512 on heavier (cheaper) rims and they performed similarly to the FK452. Perhaps the new FK453 are better?

I don't have much experience with those tires and don't put alot of miles on my car ..but the center of your tire is corded ,the inner tire still has some rubber left,not as much as the outer.to me that is a sign of over inflation,along with the standard camber toe issues.Maybe those tires need to be about 35 psi instead of 40:confused:

I don't have much experience with those tires and don't put alot of miles on my car ..but the center of your tire is corded ,the inner tire still has some rubber left,not as much as the outer.to me that is a sign of over inflation,along with the standard camber toe issues.Maybe those tires need to be about 35 psi instead of 40:confused:

Yea, i usually check every 1,000 miles to see how my tread is doing and at 1000 miles (halfway point it was), they looked decent so I didn't think I should adjust anything. Perhaps I should invest in a tire/tread meter now. I'm definitely running 33-35 psi next go around anyways though.

I bought them from Tire Rack. Have you checked the manufacture date on the tires? Maybe you got old tires?

That's disappointing. I'd call the folks at Kumho as well as the Tire Rack to discuss it and see what they say and what they might do for you. Kumho's contact info is here and I'd probably start with their technical support contact.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought them from Tire Rack. Have you checked the manufacture date on the tires? Maybe you got old tires?
That's impossible. The LE Sport has only been on the market for a couple of years.

That's disappointing. I'd call the folks at Kumho as well as the Tire Rack to discuss it and see what they say and what they might do for you. Kumho's contact info is here and I'd probably start with their technical support contact.

That's impossible. The LE Sport has only been on the market for a couple of years.

I bought mine from Tire Rack too. I may have to email Kumho and see if they willing to do anything.

ALSO, I want to correct my reporting. I actually have a little over 3,000 miles, almost 3,500 miles on them. I just dug up my personal records and I verified. Still very disappointing at 3,000 miles. I expected them to last twice as long if not 3 times.

I would have expected them to give you about the same miles as the FK-452, which you said gave you 6000 miles.

I used to have these for around 3k (60% canyon runs); 94 oem alignment spec (my first on NSX before I was aware of toe "issue"); I think I was running around 35 psi;
And when mine wore out quick.. it was nice and even maybe a little bit more on the inner side. I had to take tires off to sell the wheels but rears could prob last another thousand or more. so say up to 5k;

I would have expected them to give you about the same miles as the FK-452, which you said gave you 6000 miles.

I have tried the Kumho Ecsta MX originally on these wheels. Lowered also no alignment and I managed to squeeze almost 9k-10k miles out the rear before the wear bars showed. They were great tires and tread wear was 220 i believe.

Last edited:
That's unusually high treadlife for the MX. Heck, that's unusually high treadlife for any summer tire on an NSX rear!

That's unusually high treadlife for the MX. Heck, that's unusually high treadlife for any summer tire on an NSX rear!

Yes, I was very surprised and impressed. I wish I could still buy those tires. I was driving much more spiritedly on those tires and my psi was low like ~32 psi, sometimes dipping under 30 during cold days if I remember correctly. Many 0-60 launches also. Maybe I should just drive like a madman more often and keep my psi low. I also reckon maybe they were quite old so the rubber compound hardened up a bit. The rears lasted so well that the front was starting to wear on the very inside a bit, but still plenty of meat left as usual. These days, my fronts look brand new still when my rears go out so quickly.

Well I do agree with Nsxtasy when it comes to having all 4 tires the same but if you can not then you want a similar performing tire. Nsxtasy has more knowledge in this though.

Anyone feel that mixing tires is a bad idea?

My front Kumho LEs are basically new. I need new rears. Should I just get the same? What would you get?
Well I do agree with Nsxtasy when it comes to having all 4 tires the same but if you can not then you want a similar performing tire. Nsxtasy has more knowledge in this though.
Yup, that's what you want to do, so that the car's handling is predictable.

I would get the matching tire for the rear. After that set of rears wears out, if the fronts are also close to replacement time, if you wanted to switch to a different make/model of tire, that would be a good time to do so, since you'll need to replace all four anyway. (If the fronts last through a third set of rears, then you could wait until then if you wanted.)

im upgrading my widebody. My rear wheels are 19x11 and the fronts are 18x8.5. i purchased a set of the michelin pilot super sports and the fronts rubbed. they were 225/440 R18, i sent them back to tire rack today for 4 of the the Kuhmo Ecsta LE sport XL. Is this the same tire you have?

I had the same tire - Kumho LE Sports. My rears lasted about 9k miles. Fronts basically new. Bought a second set of rears and have 3k on them so far. I will be switching to a different tire once these are finished.

I had the same tire - Kumho LE Sports. My rears lasted about 9k miles. Fronts basically new. Bought a second set of rears and have 3k on them so far. I will be switching to a different tire once these are finished.

Just curious what your alignment specs were? So far we have 3 who got 3K miles and 2 with over 8k on the rear.

my rear camber is -2.5 degrees and toe is 0.15 degrees

Hmm... my toe is similar to yours. That is very strange...

Well I received a reply call from Kumho the other day asking me to bring the tires in to a local Sears for an inspection. They told me they cannot cover it based on mileage warranty but would cover it if it was a flaw in their product. I politely asked how is barely logging 3,000 miles and I'm in the wear bars not a flaw? Especially when I had a fresh alignment within two days of mounting the tires and I spent nearly $400 for 3,500 miles of driving. The representative insisted that I have the tires inspected before they could make any decision.

I will have to drive up to Sears here soon. I'll keep this thread updated on Kumho's decision and support.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately these tires are my only option to stay with the same tires front and rear. Mine will be installed in a few days

Back