• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More on why they are often "Stealers"

The problem that I see with flat rate charges is that the mechanics get paid the same for the job regardless of how long it takes, thereby giving them the incentive to "blow it out the door", resulting often times in shoddy workmanship and less than ideal repairs. Yeah, maybe they did install the timing belt properly but is the valve cover back on correctly? How many scratches are on your fender now that they didn't take the time to work carefully? "Oops, I forgot that fastener down there, oh well, the customer will never know............" "can't see it from my house......"

I guess back to my original rant, I was curious if dealers or indy shops you have taken your X to have tried the "diagnostic time" scam on you. I always went to Factory X in Las Vegas and another indy shop while I was in Atlanta, so have never actually been to an Acura dealer, other than for overpriced parts:rolleyes:

I still feel that, if you are paying the full part/flat rate for a given repair, there should be no add-on for some BS diagnostic time.

Interestingly, my neighbor is the GM at a large Toyota dealership, and he confirmed that the only time they charge diagnostic time is when the customer elects not to have the prob fixed, or it's some really unusually complicated deal.

NSX vs BMW

Vegas - the reason you did not go to an Acura dealership for service is...........? :rolleyes:

I am sure there are competent ones, however where I lived at the time the service dept did not impress me as being as
versed in the NSX as a local indy shop. I have owned several low production vehicles, and the problem, IMO, is that volume dealerships that see a particular vehicle sparingly just cannot, no matter thier desire, build up expertise.

Vegas Boy said:
I guess back to my original rant, I was curious if dealers or indy shops you have taken your X to have tried the "diagnostic time" scam on you.
No, never. Not by dealers or by independent shops.

Vegas Boy said:
he confirmed that the only time they charge diagnostic time is when the customer elects not to have the prob fixed, or it's some really unusually complicated deal.
That's my understanding as well.

When I had mine done a few years ago, it was $1,100. Of course, that was in Canadian dollars which, after exchange, converted into US$800.

Vegas Boy said:
I guess back to my original rant, I was curious if dealers or indy shops you have taken your X to have tried the "diagnostic time" scam on you. I always went to Factory X in Las Vegas and another indy shop while I was in Atlanta, so have never actually been to an Acura dealer, other than for overpriced parts:rolleyes:

I still feel that, if you are paying the full part/flat rate for a given repair, there should be no add-on for some BS diagnostic time.

Interestingly, my neighbor is the GM at a large Toyota dealership, and he confirmed that the only time they charge diagnostic time is when the customer elects not to have the prob fixed, or it's some really unusually complicated deal.

I have known of many repair shops that charge for diagnostic time. If you go in complaining about a particular symptom and then it takes them some time to figure it out, they often charge for that time in addition to the time for the repair. This fee is also often applied when the diagnosis requires connection to the diagnostic computer. They have to pay for the machine you know. The fee is usually anything from $40 to 1 shop hour.

BMW dealer charged me 120 dollars to change to wiper refills as part of a safety inspection. I guess the 45 dollars for the government inspection means they have to find something to fix.
total bill for wipers, one wheel rebalance, parking brake cleanup, new rear brakes, and a lightbulb repair was $1,444.

I have known of many repair shops that charge for diagnostic time. If you go in complaining about a particular symptom and then it takes them some time to figure it out, they often charge for that time in addition to the time for the repair. This fee is also often applied when the diagnosis requires connection to the diagnostic computer. They have to pay for the machine you know.

I have no prob paying for time to locate a problem.
I'm going to let this rest after this, but I guess it just plain
pisses me off to charge diagnostic time to a customer when
a) the airbag light is on, indicating what the prob is already b) how long does it take to plug in the computer and check this, not an hour? Nuff said.

Because, with very few exceptions (primarily in California, Phoenix, Orlando, and New York's Rockland/Orange County), the only mechanics who have a lot of experience servicing the NSX work at dealerships. Any competent mechanic can do routine tasks on the NSX like brake jobs, tire changes, and oil changes. But for things that are very complex (clutch replacement, timing belt replacement) and/or require troubleshooting and diagnosis, lots of NSX experience will reduce the amount of time it takes to perform the service and ensure the quality of the job.

BMW sells over 100,000 cars per year in the United States, so the chances of finding a competent independent mechanic who is familiar with servicing the car and its problems are a lot better than for a car that has sold fewer than 9,000 cars in its entire history.

True enough, but the BMW E30 M3, which has nothing in common with any other BMW mechanically. sold only ~5300 cars in the U.S. throughout it's entire history (1988-1991), and by far the best sevice for these cars in the greater Seattle area is at specialty independent shops. And there are at least three independednt shops locally whose reputation for NSX service (including timing belt service, clutch replacement, etc.) is far better (and less expensive) than local dealerships. Just saying...

.........And there are at least three independednt shops locally whose reputation for NSX service (including timing belt service, clutch replacement, etc.) is far better (and less expensive) than local dealerships. Just saying...

Can you name these 3 independent nsx shops in the Seattle area? All I know is Zahntech in Redmond and Lynnwood acura which is a dealer but they will do mods for you.

Can you name these 3 independent nsx shops in the Seattle area? All I know is Zahntech in Redmond and Lynnwood acura which is a dealer but they will do mods for you.

Yes, you're right. Zahntech is obviously the best independednt NSX shop in the area, and Jon Lai is a terrific NSX tech (but he works at a dealership, Acura of Lynnwood; my bad). Car Tender in Seattle specializes in German cars, but they are super-competent and will work on the NSX.

Yes, you're right. Zahntech is obviously the best independednt NSX shop in the area, and Jon Lai is a terrific NSX tech (but he works at a dealership, Acura of Lynnwood; my bad). Car Tender in Seattle specializes in German cars, but they are super-competent and will work on the NSX.

Does anyone have recent experience with Main Street Autoworks in Monroe? There are some old threads on here talking about the owner having an NSX but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll work on them or that the techs that do the actual work have NSX specialty training.

Has anyone had a recent timing belt/water pump and valve adjustment service performed at a reasonable cost preferably in the Pacific Northwest area? Thanks

I had those done about a year ago at Zahntech (Redmond, WA). Labor rate isn't unusually high. Parts are pricey because they're parts for an old car that doesn't exist in large quantities and those are just expensive.

Has anyone had a recent timing belt/water pump and valve adjustment service performed at a reasonable cost preferably in the Pacific Northwest area? Thanks

I had the timing belt/water pump service (but not valve adjustment) done at Acura of Bellevue last year. It was about $2200 (and the loaner car was free; it's a 60 minute drive plus a 35 minute ferry ride from my place to Bellevue). My guess is that Zahntech would be less expensive, but I don't know by how much.

I had the clutch done at the same time as my timing belt and water pump, so I saved on combined labor, but the estimate I received for just the timing belt and water pump by themselves was $2,091.76 in May of 2016. So not a huge difference, but that's to be expected because I believe in most cases Zahntech sources their parts from Acura of Bellevue.

I had the timing belt/water pump service (but not valve adjustment) done at Acura of Bellevue last year. It was about $2200 (and the loaner car was free; it's a 60 minute drive plus a 35 minute ferry ride from my place to Bellevue). My guess is that Zahntech would be less expensive, but I don't know by how much.

True enough, but the BMW E30 M3, which has nothing in common with any other BMW mechanically. sold only ~5300 cars in the U.S. throughout it's entire history (1988-1991), and by far the best sevice for these cars in the greater Seattle area is at specialty independent shops. And there are at least three independednt shops locally whose reputation for NSX service (including timing belt service, clutch replacement, etc.) is far better (and less expensive) than local dealerships. Just saying...
Why are you arguing with a 13 year old post?

Why are you arguing with a 13 year old post?

He posted 32 times since joining in 2004, maybe his reply was from 2004 and we're just now seeing the response due to some rip in the space/time continuum. Just think, he may have sent it back when gen-1's were still in showrooms.

Back