• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More V6 supercars

This car is puzzling to me, and agree there is something strange regarding badging this a Maserati and where it sits relative to the mid engine Ferraris in the market.

Ferrari only does a CF tub in their top price stuff (LaFerrari, SP1 and SP2).

So you can stumble into a Maserati store and get a CF tubbed car in the low $200K range that will take on a 488 (I kind of doubt it will be as fast as an F8).

It would seem that the clients who would be buying used 488s would flock to this.

The only thing that does make sense to me (regarding it having a Maserati badge) is that the interior is way more basic than the cabin appointments Ferrari does.

Ferrari is mostly spun off now from FCA so Maserati is finally allowed to truly compete. Also, while they try to downplay this, this car is essentially a larger souped up 4C. It uses a modified version of the CF tub already developed for the 4C that is built by the same supplier that AR used for the 4C tubs. The more you know.

The Maserati MC20 uses pre-combustion chambers, as did Honda CVCC engines in the late 1970s. It has a V6 with variable valve timing and all body colors come with a black roof, as did... well, you know.

Ferrari is mostly spun off now from FCA so Maserati is finally allowed to truly compete. Also, while they try to downplay this, this car is essentially a larger souped up 4C. It uses a modified version of the CF tub already developed for the 4C that is built by the same supplier that AR used for the 4C tubs. The more you know.

Welcome to the site.

Yes, I had seen it was based on the 4C, so that should have save a good amount of development costs.

The dimensions are similar to an F8 (somewhat wider I believe).

I just don't see how dropping this car into the market doesn't hurt Ferrari is some way or multiple ways.

It is clear that Ferrari for the most part is moving prices upward and good for them for being successful at this.

Ferrari is expanding their line up (maybe too much but let's see). I take the SF90 as an NSX with everything dialed up to 11. The DragTimes YouTube guy recently posting a high level of details on the spec for his car and it was in the mid $500K zone (He did well dumping his new Ford GT for a fat profit and pivoted into the SF90 and 765. Credit to him for the great example of how to sustain/potentially build your YouTube business).

Ferrari also took a brilliant step in bringing the Roma to market, a car that has old school classic lines and is much more of a week end get away car (without the excess oriented look of the Portofino) that will bring new checkbooks to the brand and increase overall volume (as will the upcoming FerrariUV).

Back to Maserati, I would have spent the money on improving their line up. The Ghibli/Levante are nothing special and those should be their core. The Quatroporte is older than Queen Elizabeth and can't compete. I just don't see the folks who roll the dice on if the MC20 will be reliable will be heading back to their dealership for a Levante when they can get a Porsche SUV.

Ferrari needs to revive the original Italian nsx....Dino...:wink:

The Dino was really small inside

My take on Ferrari cabins is they know their clients are older/bigger so a 4C sized interior is unlikely

They may basically take a 488 and drop a V6 in it, re-skin the car, de-content the interior and call it a Dino. I just can't see them doing a sub $200K car at this point (so you may be overpaying for a new base car).

This car is puzzling to me, and agree there is something strange regarding badging this a Maserati and where it sits relative to the mid engine Ferraris in the market.

Ferrari only does a CF tub in their top price stuff (LaFerrari, SP1 and SP2).

So you can stumble into a Maserati store and get a CF tubbed car in the low $200K range that will take on a 488 (I kind of doubt it will be as fast as an F8).

It would seem that the clients who would be buying used 488s would flock to this.

The only thing that does make sense to me (regarding it having a Maserati badge) is that the interior is way more basic than the cabin appointments Ferrari does.

I thought the same thing but then recall that Fiat (FCA) owns most of the Italian brands. The carbon fiber tub Alfa 4C is being discontinued and the Maserati could use a halo car like the old 12C (Enzo clone). I think Fiat is doing what GM use to do with badge engineering. It was well known Sergio Marchionne wanted Ferrari to increase production and met resistance. I can see the sales hype now. You can have this beautiful Maserati and it's $50K less than a Ferrari or $50K more than a NSX.

I read that the MC20 starts at $210K.
Could be market adjustments and pricey options to get toward $300K.
Marchionne got his open path to higher volume as the previous leader of Ferrari had enough and bailed out.
The MC-12 was a great example of badge engineering, it cost a smidge more than the Enzo.
It would be nice if the MC20 helped the Maserati brand, I just don't see how it would happen.

Maserati lost relevance with years of lackluster, uninspiring cars....biturbo anyone...

Back