• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Morning start up vibration

Hi, is it normal for the NSX to vibrate a bit rough during cold start up? It eventually goes away when the RPM drops after few seconds of warm up. Is this normal? Also, when I blip the throttle while waiting for the traffic light (between 1000~~1500RPM), the engine seems to vibrate a little more. Anything above or below (idling) that, it runs very smooth. It's a one year old car and has a little over 6k miles.

Thanks,

I detect no vibration at all in my 97'. I would assume your car is still under warranty. I would take it back to the dealer, my concern is the vibration caused by a motor mount.

i have read many times on this board that the nsx has a small rpm range around 1400 - 1500 rpm where you feel more vibration.

so i wouldn't worry about it. mine is like that as well.

My car has a slight vibration to it also when it's cold. I also had some major service work done, and still the car runs perfect, but has a slight vibration when cold. Seems normal.

Regards,
- Z

i wouldnt be surprised if many cars are like that during cold start ups, especially if the car has been sitting for a while. i know my volvo s80 was rough after 3 weeks. drove her around and the car smooths out. car need to be driven, tahts the only thing i can think of to prevent these sort of situation.

Very, very normal, especially on the original generation. Goes away as warming, and still noticeable as you manually raise the rpm's from a warm idle.

I've noticed that the left side of my car vibrates more than the right. If i'm looking at the outside of the car it's pretty clear. Anyone else notice that? Maybe my left side motor mount is bad?

I read somewhere that the additional vibration is due to the motor trying to warm up faster. I had an Accord in New Jersey and on cold days the motor ran very rough and even the automatic transmission shifted later to get the engine up to temp faster. It also helped get the heater's hot air to come in faster. :)

Something you really don't notice much in California.

What about during normal operating temperature while the car is idling.. Is the car totally smooth or can you feel a little vibration? Is this has to do with the more aggressive cams in the NSX?

Back