• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most cost effective way to ship tires?

I'm going to be shipping two 295-30-18 and two 235-40-18 tires only, no wheels. Is the USPS the way to go or the local UPS store? I was thinking of shipping them individually with shipping labels covered with transparent tape.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DH has a good rate but I would not use them as I just bought a set of rims and tires shipped via DHL. They lost one from San Diego to Denver. Some how one of the others ended up in Ohio and I received it about a week late. I would probably use UPS as they have reasonable rates. Ship them separately with cardboard wrapped between the wheel and tape.

I would go with USPS. Just slap the address labels right on the tires and drop them off at USPS. I haven't found a cheaper way, with or without rims.

Not real sure of the distance you are shipping, but I have found that FedEx ground is cheaper than USPS for longer distances, but more expensive for shorter distances.

I'm going to be shipping two 295-30-18 and two 235-40-18 tires only, no wheels. Is the USPS the way to go or the local UPS store? I was thinking of shipping them individually with shipping labels covered with transparent tape.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I typically use commercial rates out of my business but anything that needs a pallet in size or weight capacity is going to be cheaper going by freight [18 wheeler] than in UPS/FED EX ground. If you must use regular ground, fed ex is the most reliable provider.

Tires don't need a pallet. When I've shipped them, I just use special reinforced strapping tape (which you can get at any office supplies store) to band two same-sized tires together, and tape a label on them with clear packing tape.

I've frequently compared shipping rates. I used to ship via FedEx Ground (they call it FedEx Home Delivery when it's to a residential address, it's basically the same thing) because they used to be the cheapest, but recent comparisons have shown DHL ground service to be significantly less than FedEx.

When you insure a shipment of wheels and tires, keep in mind that they might lose or damage one piece and not the other(s). Insure accordingly. For example, if four wheels are worth $800 but three wheels are worth significantly less than $600, you'd better insure the wheels for more than $200 each, in case only one gets lost.

When you insure a shipment of wheels and tires, keep in mind that they might lose or damage one piece and not the other(s). Insure accordingly. For example, if four wheels are worth $800 but three wheels are worth significantly less than $600, you'd better insure the wheels for more than $200 each, in case only one gets lost.

This practice doesn't work with DHL, when you're shipping with DHL, and file a claim, they require a commercial invoice from when you acquired the item, as they're only willing to pay your wholesale cost - they also require proof of sale, showing the amount the item sold for, before proceeding with a claim. So, if you ship tires, but don't have an invoice, it doesn't matter what you insure them for, if you cannot produce these two items.

I ran into this issue with a set of JDM tail lights, and had to produce records from paypal, when I paid my broker for the set, as well as printed-out PM's from nsxprime, showing the sale amount (buyer paid with check, instead of paypal) - only after getting these two items did they pay out the insurance claim.

Back