• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most fun for $150,000

So, I have a Red 1991 5 speed. I love this car and will be keeping it for a long, long time. What I am looking for is a stable mate. Chances are that it will be a used car. I have set a budget around 150K. My wife is in agreement with this. Eat your hearts out guys.

Car and Driver did their most fun for $25,000. My list just changes the price, and probally more fun as well.

I hope that those of you that have one of cars I have listed can give me your pros and cons to ownership. I still need to check with my insurance carrier, I don’t think that it will affect my final decision. I have provided my initial opinion of each entry. What I am looking for is an attractive car with good performance and somewhat exclusive while maintaining its price.

Aston Martin – Good looks with a great sound, but not sure about performance, probably the worst of the group.
Audi R8 – long waiting list, not as good looking as others, good value for this price.
Corvette Z06 – I am not that interested, too common, but good performer/value.
Ferrari 360 Spyder – This is the favorite of my wife
Ferrari F430 coupe – Considerable performance increase from the 360 and the F430 Spyder is out of my price range.
Ford GT – very fast, good looking, very exclusive, probably will increase in value more than any other.
Lamborghini Gallardo – close to the Ferraris but not as attractive.
Nissan GT-R – Maybe a great performance value, but lacking in the looks of the list.
Porsche 911 – too common, not much performance increase over NSX.
Porsche GT3 – Wife doesn’t like it, never been a big Porsche fan.
Viper – Good performance but I don’t find it that attractive.

There is the list that I am trying to narrow down. Give me your thoughts. What are your top three?

1. F430 coupe. Can't beat the sound of that engine and it has a race mode setting.

2. Ford GT. Heard one on the 60 freeway near my house and giggled like a Japanese school girl.

3. Aston Martin. Makes any dork look like James Bond. Unfortunately, rocket launchers and mini guns are not included.

I would go...

Ford GT

F360 Spyder with a tubi

F430 coupe with a tubi

...in that order :biggrin:

You're going to spend $150,000 on a car and you need to check with your insurance company?:confused: I hope you're planing on paying cash for a car like this. I can't imagine financing a $150,000 car. Just my opinion, and that probably doesn't mean too much.:wink:

Last edited:
150k isn't enough to buy F430 or ford gt

You're correct about the 430, but you can get mint Ford GT in the 150k area, no problem. I want the Ford GT, R8 and 360 Spider, in any order!!!

I'd like to know---> What's the secret to getting the wifey to agree to buying a $150K car? You've got it made!

Biased of course:

1. 2005 NSX-T with Type R goodies (suspension etc.) and Comptech Supercharger. This allows you to get a NSX-T and 6-speed which your lacking on the present 91 you own.

2. Ferrari 360 convertible with Tubi Exhaust

3. Lamborghini Gallardo in manual

4. Porsche 997 Carrera S

what are you trying to get out the vehicle? most of the ones you listed are high performance exotics, but you mixed in a few luxury cruisers...

i just browsed through ebaymotors to see what is in that price range, new or used...

i would choose:

ford gt.
ferrari 360.
lambo gallardo
audi r8.
aston martin db9 or vanquish.

other cars in that price range that you didn't list:

bentley continental gt
spyker c8.
amg mercedes?
noble m400
tvr sagaris (last i read, two guys from florida bought TVR and will be bringing the sagaris over for around $120K)...

i think the dilemma you have is one awesome dilemma to have...although it's probably driving you nuts.

CORVETTE ZR1

Visible carbon-fiber roof¸ roof bow¸ rocker extensions and front air splitter.
Carbon-fiber domed hood with a window to the supercharger. Unique carbon fiber dual cove front fenders. 19-inch front/20-inch rear¸ 20-spoke wheels on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. A stunning new benchmark in Corvette performance with its 638 horsepower LS9 supercharged V8¸ ZR1 is capable of 205 mph on the test track. 6.2 Liter V8 with Eaton TVS Supercharger and intercooler produces 604 lb.-ft of torque. Massive Brembo Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

Save your money for the next 6 months to year to see what Lexus, Toyota and Acura put out. Oh and the new R8.

Other than that, I'd say F430, Lambo, 360, R8, Ford GT, Aston.

If you haven't already, I recommend you drive each before your choice. The easiest and cheapest way I know is www.worldclassdriving.com I've driven most of the cars on your list through them and comparing them back to back makes the choice easy. Here's my order:

1. F430
2. Gallardo
3. Ford GT
4. R8

WCD will be in San Diego in November.

Thanks for all the good input. It really stirs thought and narrows down the list. However, it may add to the list. Could a luxury cruiser, Bentley or Maserati be an added selection?

I really like the idea of World Class Driving, however the San Diego lineup really doesn't match what I can afford.

I agree the F430 may not fit in the 150k area, but they can be found at 175k and my budget has some flex in it if I can justify the extra expense. I think that with the economy sliding a little, prices may be coming down.

I also like the idea of waiting and see what may come up with new models with Acura and Toyota.

I am not in any rush, I still have to build a garage to put the new ride in.

So far it looks like the groups favorites are one of the Ferraris or the Ford GT with the Lambo close behind.

BOTH my neighbors have a ford gt. (unbeleiveable, eh!?). Those cars look absolutely incredible. And sound to match. And I think for $2k, one of the neighbors did the smaller pulley/ecu tune and bumped himself to about 625 rwhp!!!

As above,but really is what we say going to sway you on how you spend you 150-170k:confused:

GTR and Viper. After that I'd go for an AM or F360/430 depending on which you believe you will prefer. Only live once.

Back