• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motion for posting to DIY forum

I'd like to make a motion:

That everyone that posts mechanical problems here, has to end the post with the resolution to the problem.

Anyone care to second the motion?

I make this motion so we can all learn what to do, when a similiar problem occurs to our cars. I think it's inconsiderate of those that request assistance to not follow up with their solution so it can bennefit us all.

There - that feels better! :wink:

agree

agree ,and i always thank respondants who do give us followup in thier threads.Without followup we learn very little.

Should there be a separate distinction between 100% DIY where u are doing the wrenching or u control the direction of the project (selecting mechanic, machine shops, doing the research, buying the parts, etc.) and then sourcing it out?

Cuz that is pretty much my project and I have a tough time figuring out where it fits.

Should there be a separate distinction between 100% DIY where u are doing the wrenching or u control the direction of the project (selecting mechanic, machine shops, doing the research, buying the parts, etc.) and then sourcing it out?

Cuz that is pretty much my project and I have a tough time figuring out where it fits.

Let's keep this simple. If you describe the problem, and we suggest various solutions, then tell us what actually worked to solve the problem. It doesn't really matter who does the wrenching.

Let's keep this simple. If you describe the problem, and we suggest various solutions, then tell us what actually worked to solve the problem. It doesn't really matter who does the wrenching.

Agree and indeed a timely idea.

But I would recommend that some details be added/offered regarding the particular circumstance, use, and other mods that affect the problem. Many times one has to probe the OP with several follow up focused questions only to find out what else was relevant - such whether it is CA smog legal, street legal, track only use, SAL/UL tested certified, etc.

Absolutely agree, if, when solutions are found they are not posted and made avail to everyone there is not a lot of point having a DIY forum.

There are few things I find more entertaining than reading the suggestions and diagnoses to other peoples car problems submitted here on NSXPrime.

Knowing the results and conclusions as understood by the OP will be as well.:biggrin:

How could this be enforced?

Maybe need a seperate troubleshooting section and when the problem is fixed move the thread to DIY. Just a thought.

I also agree final resolutions should be posted.

I was a design engineer for telecommunications equipment (a long time ago, it seems) and would get calls from clients to help troubleshoot a problem. Nothing was more frustrating than me providing 2 or 3 suggestions, and then never get a call back. No call back meant the problem was fixed - but how?? :mad:

I do my own wrenching, so I have the same frustration when we don't know which suggestion worked.

How could this be enforced?

Self-enforcement on our part by "reminding" (flaming) those, that do not do it, how inconsiderate it really is. Or possibly getting a moderator to request that a statement be included in the heading of the DIY forum, that posting final resolutions to posted problems is considered proper forum procedure. :wink:

I agree 100%

but the real question is how do you make them log in an post what worked?

suspend their account?

I agree 100%

but the real question is how do you make them log in an post what worked?

suspend their account?

I don't think we need to go that far. Most posters here are nice intelligent people. I think if we group our efforts towards educating (flaming) those that don't post their solutions, they will realize the bennefits of doing so as well and hopefully comply. There will always be those that dont give a rats ass, and nothing will change them. Since I've been coming here it seems to me that most posters would comply by us simply suggesting they do so. It's a good group.

Agree, no more going back to the thread starving for a response

Maybe need a seperate troubleshooting section and when the problem is fixed move the thread to DIY. Just a thought.
Actually, there is such a section .. it's called the Wiki. There is a Troubleshooting section and a DIY section and for the most part, 'maintenance/repair' DIYs are also listed in the Troubleshooting section.

The problem is that nobody ever helps convert DIY threads by cleaning up the text, removing all the non-contributing posts, consolidating multiple valuable comments, throwing away the useless ones, etc .. and creating a Wiki page. Part of my role is to promote the use of the Wiki and to make it easier to build pages. I even offered to build the page for people if they sent me text and pictures .. but I can count the number of people on one hand who have done this. So, I end up doing it myself when I have free time. I currently have a backlog of over 50 threads whose content could be added to existing Wiki pages to make them better or put into their own pages. I'd love to have some help. We have a good vehicle in place .. we just need to use it.

Back