• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor swaps on an NSX

Sorry for the nobb question. But I always wonder if anyone has tried swapping in a LSX, RB26, 2JZ, ect into an NSX. Can it even be done due to the mid engine lay out? I'm just wondering because a few years ago I was told a company was trying to fit a Vette motor into a NSX but I couldn't find anything about it on the net.

Here's the corvette swap guy, way more work than I would ever want to do, but still pretty cool.

http://www.ls7nsx.com/

I think there's not too much potential for easy engine swaps, because there aren't too many transverse mounted sports car engines around. Also not too many transverse v8 engines. Cadillac Northstar comes to mind, but why would you want that in the NSX? Doesn't appear to be a huge amount of room from side to side in the engine bay, so you can't do the 2JZ or RB26 swaps.

On top of that, the Comptech supercharger has been available for years, and probably gives more hp/dollar than any engine swap under $20k. With big hp turbos systems available lately, I don't think there's any reason to swap anything.

Thanks for the link, wow that is lot of work.

My friend was going to swap in a 2JZ into a RX7 for me. I was thinking if I had a NSX roller maybe the same could be done, but nvm.

Stmpo racing is also working on a turbo K20 engine swap for their race cars.

I want to see someone swap an LS4 in to one, apparently it will bolt right up to the FWD 6 speed from the G6, I guess some fierro guys have done the swap as well.

some specs, horsepower is a little low for a V8, but it's an LSx so that could be remedied pretty easily :D

The LS4 is a 5,328 cc (5.328 L; 325.1 cu in) version of the Generation IV block. Though it has the same displacement as the Vortec 5300 LH6, it differs in that it has an aluminium block rather than an iron one and it uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine. The bellhousing bolt pattern differs from the rear wheel drive blocks.
This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications. According to GM, "The crankshaft is shortened 13 mm – 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end – to reduce the length of the engine compared to the 6.0L. All accessories are driven by a single serpentine belt to save space. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering."[5] Active Fuel Management is also used. Output of this version is 303 hp (226 kW)/300 hp on LaCrosse Super and 323 lb·ft (438 N·m).
Applications:
2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008 Buick LaCrosse Super

The K swap is interesting as I posted a suggestion about it about 2 years ago. I love the NSX engine but with all the price gouging for parts, limited tech, and tuning challenges I'm sure you could net some better performance from a K turbo. I mean you can bore and stroke a K to 2.7 liters then after that you install a turbo at around 15psi and forget it. You would end up with a lighter powerplant with more modern tech and more power. Plus like I said, parts are much cheaper and there's people tuning them at every street corner.

Of course I was slapped around like Nicolaus Copernicus and I'm surprised I didn't get banned, killed and buried in an unmarked grave :)

The major challenge for the NSX engine swap is that it's transverse mounted.

So is the LS4. I did some research into this. It would be a tight fit but I think it's doable. If I ever blow the NSX engine I'll probably give it a shot.

Northstar is also interesting in that is is a rare DOHC V8. High-rpm capable and transverse design. I think you can reliably build the C-series to equal or better power these days, but for those who want to take the plunge...

I like the 2JZ swap.

2jzswapwithnas.jpg

Out of all the possible modifications an individual could do to an NSX.......why would anyone ever consider a motor-swap?!?!?! :rolleyes:

To me that completely ruins the 'essence' of the car.

If your desire is to swap the current amazing 6 for a v8.....why not just buy a corjunk or a camarblow and move on.

Why even own an NSX at that point?!!?!?!

^^^

What if you already have four NSXs and want a project??

I know that sounds stupid but I am just saying this because everything is relative. Short story..... when I was 23 I worked at Executive Acura in North Haven, CT. I have wanted an NSX since I was in High School and I would sit in everyone that came in for service while working at that dealer. One day in the Winter an NSX came in on a flat bed destroyed. I asked the service Manager what happened and he said durng the last snow storm the owner went off the road commuting to work. I lost it and got real animated, stating what's wrong with this guy!! With all the money he has to own one of these can't he get a beater or a jeep for the damn snow!!!!! ........... The service Manager looked at me and said, John he owns a couple Lambos and 2 F-cars, the NSX is his Winter beater.

That was my first lesson in perception and things being relative. However ...... I understand what you're saying :)

Last edited:
^^^

That was my first lesson in perception and things being relative. However ...... I understand what you're saying :)

Interesting point and perspective.......got me thinking about this now - .......

The K swap is interesting as I posted a suggestion about it about 2 years ago. I love the NSX engine but with all the price gouging for parts, limited tech, and tuning challenges I'm sure you could net some better performance from a K turbo. I mean you can bore and stroke a K to 2.7 liters then after that you install a turbo at around 15psi and forget it. You would end up with a lighter powerplant with more modern tech and more power. Plus like I said, parts are much cheaper and there's people tuning them at every street corner.

Of course I was slapped around like Nicolaus Copernicus and I'm surprised I didn't get banned, killed and buried in an unmarked grave :)

Ha, you were thinking K series, I was thinking the nissan SR20DET series.

isn't the SR20 an iron block? that plus all the turbo stuff would add a lot of weight

a SR20DET is a all aluminum engine. When 240's swap that engine in to replace the cast iron KA24DE. the car loses a good amount of weight even if you include the turbo and all.

My friend brought a clean NSX shell for $8k. A 2JZ would run about $2k to $4k depending on the tranny. So I'm really wondering would this be possible.

Getting the motor would be easy, the hard part is going to be finding another NSX roller/shell.

Last edited:

jadkar....

You are right on the money man... small exception on the bore IMO... smaller INLINE motors can run very better with less displacement... allowing the rev line to stay in the 8k-11k rpm range... the timing chain allows you to "up the boost" and stay safe with the motor

The k24 drag cars have tons of power but you loose it on the rpm level... but when you blow up a k20... IF you blow up a k20... the cost for a motor swap would equal less than the labor of a c30 swap...lol

Regards

My friend brought a clean NSX shell for $8k. A 2JZ would run about $2k to $4k depending on the tranny. So I'm really wondering would this be possible.

Getting the motor would be easy, the hard part is going to be finding another NSX roller/shell.

I don't think there is the room to fit an I6 engine in an NSC with really modifying the chassis

Back