• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor Trend unveils GT-R

motor_trend_cover_dec.jpg

After months of spy shots and drip-fed teasers Nissan’s all new GT-R super-coupe has been revealed with the early release of the December issue of MotorTrend. The tagline on the magazine’s cover claims the car is as fast as the Porsche 911 Turbo and is priced less than $80,000, confirming rumors the new GT-R will set a new standard in bang-for-your-buck comparisons.

Other details include the GT-R’s acceleration time of 3.5 seconds for the 0-60mph and 11.7 seconds for the quarter mile. Top speed is claimed to be a staggering 192mph.

Although we still don’t have any official details about the car’s new drivetrain, most are expecting to see a 3.8L V6 engine fed by a pair of turbochargers and mated to a dual-clutch gearbox with the latest ATESSA all-wheel drive setup. The car should measure in at 4,650mm in length and 1,920mm across. There’s rumored to be three different flavors of the new GT-R, starting with a 450hp entry-level model and ranging up to a 530hp flagship. This latter version is expected to be a stripped out racer with plenty of carbon-fiber and a track-tuned suspension.

Stay tuned for the flood of official details and images once the car is revealed at next week’s Tokyo Motor Show.
http://www.nagtroc.com/forums/GT-R-Unveiled-Cover-of-Motor-Trend-t20094.html

Thumbs up to Nissan for getting the car out the door. Looks good too. Price seems to be a little North of what I think the original projections of $65K was. I wonder how much the dealer mark up is going to be? :confused: At that price point however, it should keep it from becoming a "dime a dozen" car initially. My main concern with this car was that as soon as it comes out, boom, after a year or so, one in every corner. Im not a "me too" kind of car, which is why I bought my NSX over a Porsche. I like driving a my NSX around and not seeing very many of them. Living in Southern California, P-Cars all over the place and that killed it for me.

Oh yeah...is it me or does the front end look sort of like a Toyota Celica?

The specs are impressive, but the car looks **YAWN** boring. Anybody got any better pics?

Preferably in red?

I talked to my friend at Nissian, They are prob going to have some bugs the 1st year as well as mark'ups the 1st 6 months or so. I will get one 1-2 years once they are out if all goes well. Just excited so many nice cars coming out.

It's great to see another high-performance car on the market in the sub-$100k range, but I don't see how its a Corvette killer. The Z06 has the exact same performance specs (0-60 and quarter mile) and rings in at just under $80k. It's not rewriting the supercar rulebook - its on par with something thats been on the market for 2-3 years now. Again, choice is good, but its price-performance isn't anything new.

I like it overall, but hopefully the aftermarket will come up w/ a nose job to fix the front.

The rear looks better than the front.

It's great to see another high-performance car on the market in the sub-$100k range, but I don't see how its a Corvette killer. The Z06 has the exact same performance specs (0-60 and quarter mile) and rings in at just under $80k. It's not rewriting the supercar rulebook - its on par with something thats been on the market for 2-3 years now. Again, choice is good, but its price-performance isn't anything new.

For the price point it offers a V6 twin turbo with AWD and a DSG like tranny, a bit more sophisticated than a C6 Z06 for a wider variety of driving conditions.

For the price point it offers a V6 twin turbo with AWD and a DSG like tranny, a bit more sophisticated than a C6 Z06 for a wider variety of driving conditions.

And this will most likely have much higher build quality. Don't forget the two rear seats (Porsche style for kids). I hope it will be a hit, so I can get one in a few years.

This is a very complete car. 4WD, high performance, 4 seats, daily driveable, trackable etc etc.

I was hoping the bumper design to be more aggressive. I've been looking at these pictures for few minutes and couldn't find a angle that makes me think "wow that's a cool looking car!"
But I think they did everything right to retain the GTR "DNA"

Ok those second set of pics look much better than the cover photo. I retract my Toyota Celica comment. Looks more like a G35 on steroids now. Nice car, just not my thing. The design for some reason just doesnt do it for me, just like the R-34's, good numbers, so so design imo.

It's nice, but I think they're going to lose a lot of customers with the absence of a manual option.

Is that confirmed that it only comes with an AUTO ??
If that's true.........:rolleyes:

LAME

I've "heard" there is not a true manual available for the first run of cars. Unfortunately I've noticed this is starting to become a trend with sportscars in this price range. It's usually later in the 1st year or early in the 2nd year of production when the true 6spd option is available. Hopefully I'm wrong so I don't have to wait for the 09 models to depreciate where I want them to before I buy one.

I've "heard" there is not a true manual available for the first run of cars. Unfortunately I've noticed this is starting to become a trend with sportscars in this price range. It's usually later in the 1st year or early in the 2nd year of production when the true 6spd option is available. Hopefully I'm wrong so I don't have to wait for the 09 models to depreciate where I want them to before I buy one.

That's what I heard as well... Also heard essentially only the 'lower' model will be available with the manual, while all others will get a F1/SMG/DSG-type tranny.

why do you guys complain about auto tranny? I'm sure auto is faster than manual with today's technology.

just look at cars with auto tranny...Ferrari Enzo, Porsche 911 Turbo, Maserati MC12, etc...

Ok those second set of pics look much better than the cover photo. I retract my Toyota Celica comment. Looks more like a G35 on steroids now. Nice car, just not my thing. The design for some reason just doesnt do it for me, just like the R-34's, good numbers, so so design imo.

i'm actually surprised how you can see the R34 styling cues, even though the car looks completely different. they did a good job in that regard.
the tail lights are awesome.
the price sucks.....
they could've made it look more like a sports car than your run of the mill nissan. i'd actually rather have a G37 with twin t's. and, i'd never buy it even if i had the money. nissan is getting flakey in terms of quality.

still a nice car tho.

Oh yeah...is it me or does the front end look sort of like a Toyota Celica?
YA! That's what I thought I was looking at. I never really like the look of the Skylines anyhow, except for R-34 front. Rear lights always reminded me of an "Impala" from North America, but some improvements this new one has(lines). The #'s are impressive if it holds true. With the sticker price, I think I would trade my '98-T to a 2002+ w/turbo + spare engine + all the goodies + shoes/bags to spoil my wife + trip to Bally. Maybe even enuf to chuck a dam turbo in my Mdx. LOL...jk. But atleast I wont' be mistaken for a 'Celica'? lol....

Not my cup of tea but certainly kudos for Nissan for building such a killer car with such sophistication. Product like this is what makes automobiles exciting and advancing. So where the heck is the HSC or the ASSS thing from Honda?
Looking at today's products from Honda and the advancements from Toyota and Nissan, my NSX and my subsequent NSXs will likely be the LAST Hondas that I will ever own.
Steve

Back