• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motorcycle opinions?

I appreciate all the recommendations but I don't think many of you read my requirements, you're just listing bikes you personally like. However some of the recommendations look pretty good and I'll be researching them Monday when I'm at the office.

I discussed with the wife tonight, we're both going to sleep on it. She's not 100% comfortable with the idea because she points out that I'm an aggressive driver and impatient and reactive, and she's right. I just need to decide if I can be mature enough on a bike to have some patience.

I think that the CBR1100XX will meet all of your requirements.
While it looks all sport, it is actually a sport cruiser. The body position while riding is very comfortable and does not put a lot of stress on your wrists. Adding a Corbin seat makes things even more comfortable for you and a passenger. Stock it makes about 139 hp and will hall you along nicely! It is very like the NSX in that it is easy to drive around town, but it changes into a different beast when the rpms get up there. :biggrin: There are also lots of luggage options available if you desire that.

Here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR1100XX

http://www.motorsports-network.com/HONDA/cbr11xx/xxtest.HTM

http://www.motorsports-network.com/HONDA/cbr11xx/xxtour.htm

http://www.motorsports-network.com/honda/cbr1100.htm

Good Luck!

Nate

Yamaha V-Star 1100

* Very reliable
* In expensive
*No crouching
* Has power
*Seats 2
*Comfortable

Was motorcycle magazine, "Motorcycle of the Year"

Like you, my requirements have changed over time. I went from superbikes to cruisers. I have Ducati 900 super sport (one sexy bike by the way), but I hardly ever ride it, partly because its not as comfortable as the yamaha, and partly because i feel like it brings out the wild side in me (not a good thing when it comes to motorcycles and i have kids).

So when i ride, i take the v-star. My wife loves it, and actually nags me for rides. The vstar, is comfortable, reliable, inexpensive, and safer to ride in my opinion.

Gorgeous bike, a bit more than I was looking to spend (seems to be going for $5000-$8000), the 650 seems closer to my price range but I'll keep my eyes open.

Yamaha V-Star 1100

* Very reliable
* In expensive
*No crouching
* Has power
*Seats 2
*Comfortable

Was motorcycle magazine, "Motorcycle of the Year"

Like you, my requirements have changed over time. I went from superbikes to cruisers. I have Ducati 900 super sport (one sexy bike by the way), but I hardly ever ride it, partly because its not as comfortable as the yamaha, and partly because i feel like it brings out the wild side in me (not a good thing when it comes to motorcycles and i have kids).

So when i ride, i take the v-star. My wife loves it, and actually nags me for rides. The vstar, is comfortable, reliable, inexpensive, and safer to ride in my opinion.

When I took my MSF course years ago, one of my instructors rode a Honda VF750C Magna. It has a V4 engine from a Honda VFR750 (sport tourer). You should be able to get one fairly cheaply ('94-'03).

I think the V Star 650 is the winner, I called my insurance company today to get a ballpark ($270/year, that's without taking any coverage off during winter), now I just need to convince the wife. She was all for it when I sold the NSX, but like I said, she's having second thoughts and I'm trying to learn to be more patient even in a car.

It's strage, I typically have no dead line to be anywhere and realize that some idiot driver causing me to make an extra red light will only cost me a minute or two, but it's very difficult for me to rationalize that and be patient vs. my automatic response of feeling like everyone on these over-crowded roads is an obsticle intentionally placed to slow me down.

I've tried driving the past few days without letting them get to me, with some success but clearly this is something that's going to require a lot of work to overcome my programmed emotional response. I think if I can accomplish this though, it'll help make me a better person as well as happier and safer.

Pick yourself up a nice BMW... like the R1200 RT.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200rt

-Wick

Again, requirements:

* Reliable - I don't fix squat on my own, if it needs even a screwdriver, I want nothing to do with it. (I've read enough of Neil Peart's books where he puts tens of thousands of miles on his BMW to know BMW bikes aren't the most reliable bikes around.
* Comfortable - None of the crouched over the handlebar stuff, my lower back is in enough pain all the time, though I probably won't be putting much in the way of miles on it. Work and back for the most part and that's about 15 miles round trip.
* Seats two (without a side car )
* Powerful enough to get up and go with a 220# fat-ass
* Used is preferred, I'd like to get into something for a couple grand if possible..

How's the V Max compare to the V Star 650 in areas other than performance? Can you ride 2 UP? I've seen comments that indicate you can't, but I've seen pics where it clearly has a back seat. It seems that one might be able to find a V Max for somewhere in between the price of the V Star 650 and 1100.

I've read a lot about the 650 the past few days and the only thing that makes me a bit wary is over and over I've read reviews that discuss lack of power when trying to make a quick pass on a highway, or when riding 2-UP.

How's the V Max compare to the V Star 650 in areas other than performance? Can you ride 2 UP? I've seen comments that indicate you can't, but I've seen pics where it clearly has a back seat. It seems that one might be able to find a V Max for somewhere in between the price of the V Star 650 and 1100.

I've read a lot about the 650 the past few days and the only thing that makes me a bit wary is over and over I've read reviews that discuss lack of power when trying to make a quick pass on a highway, or when riding 2-UP.

I've never driven a V-Star but I have to say that Mr Max is very very comfortable to drive.
As far as acceleration is concerned, You wont know you have a passenger on the bike,The acceleration and torque Is mindblowing, Hp in the 140 range,Literally like being shot out of a canon.

The engine has two different qualities, V-twin rumble at lower RPM's then at V-Boost Rpms it turns into a silky smooth refined superbike.

Personally this is my second V-Max I've owned and by far is my favorite bike EVER.

My wife says says its very comfortable as a passenger.

The V-Max is akin to a classic muscle car - a ton of power and torque, but heavy with a soft suspension. If you're just crusing on the open road vs. riding in the canyons, it's a good choice.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure you wear all your PPE gear. That includes leathers. I just dropped my bike earlier this afternoon. Of course I was in the canyons and went into a curve at the peak of the road a lil too fast and lost it. Fortunately, i'm ok. A lil bruised up and a few scratches here and there. The bike still runs, but i'll be needing new left side fairings.

Ride safe.

Wife and I talked, we're going to revisit this next year at tax return time. But I'm definitely not a full leathers guy. Long jeans, boots, leather jacket and full helmet will likely be as far as I'll go.

Wife and I talked, we're going to revisit this next year at tax return time. But I'm definitely not a full leathers guy. Long jeans, boots, leather jacket and full helmet will likely be as far as I'll go.

and race oriented gloves I'd hope.

I ride nearly daily, year round in all but leather pants which I don't wear for commuting. If anyone wants to say something, come down to Houston during the summer and we'll go for a "ride" on the beltway around 5pm during the week. The bike is banging off 220 degrees as the fan blows the heat on your legs, the highway surface temperature is 120 degrees, with leather gloves, thick jacket, etc., the not so cool/pleasant exhaust gases are dense enough around you that every direction looks like a blurry mirage out of a cartoon, and taking the humidity in to account it often feels like over 130 degrees outside. Builds your tolerence to heat quite quickly though, if you don't die of heat stroke obviously.

Congrad!! I am also lookin' for a v-star to strip bobber style :D If anybody got a 650 and wanna let go, pm me since robr is waiting for his tax return :D

I think the V Star 650 is the winner, I called my insurance company today to get a ballpark ($270/year, that's without taking any coverage off during winter), now I just need to convince the wife. She was all for it when I sold the NSX, but like I said, she's having second thoughts and I'm trying to learn to be more patient even in a car.

It's strage, I typically have no dead line to be anywhere and realize that some idiot driver causing me to make an extra red light will only cost me a minute or two, but it's very difficult for me to rationalize that and be patient vs. my automatic response of feeling like everyone on these over-crowded roads is an obsticle intentionally placed to slow me down.

I've tried driving the past few days without letting them get to me, with some success but clearly this is something that's going to require a lot of work to overcome my programmed emotional response. I think if I can accomplish this though, it'll help make me a better person as well as happier and safer.

For $2K you can buy mint VFR750 RC24 (1986-1990) or not so mint RC36 (1991-).

I ride it and can fully recommend it to you, its bulletproof. Several ran over 300.000 miles.

Too bad you said inexpensive. If I had room for one I'd get one of these just because I think its so different looking and sort of reminds me of those anime cartoons like Akira.

http://spyder.brp.com/

:biggrin:

Back