• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to Vegas

Hello to the Vegas crew,

There is a potential job opportunity that will require me to move to the city, myself, wife and a 9 months old girl. I've been to vegas many times as a tourist and always stayed on the strip, but never been into the residential areas.

I am wondering any recommendations as to good neighborhoods for a young family. My main concerns are proximity to work (work will be on the strip), day care, family oriented neighborhood (ie parks, playgrounds..etc).

Any suggestions for decent areas or a realtor would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting ya'll should the job comes through.

Thanks,
David

Hello to the Vegas crew,

There is a potential job opportunity that will require me to move to the city, myself, wife and a 9 months old girl. I've been to vegas many times as a tourist and always stayed on the strip, but never been into the residential areas.

I am wondering any recommendations as to good neighborhoods for a young family. My main concerns are proximity to work (work will be on the strip), day care, family oriented neighborhood (ie parks, playgrounds..etc).

Any suggestions for decent areas or a realtor would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting ya'll should the job comes through.

Thanks,
David

Hopefully WELCOME!

Both sides of the strip have good neighborhoods: Green Valley to the southeast and Summerlin to the west. Good neighborhoods scattered throughout. Great deals especially in the north/ northwest. I think the balance of NSXs are fairly even with big HP going to the west and super clean NAs going to the east:biggrin: Lance has a good realtor and I'm sure he will chime in soon. Our next meet is at C&C 8/28 to discuss more NSXPO issues so please come if you are in town. Good Luck!

Best Regards,

Danny

Hello to the Vegas crew,

Thanks,
David

David, You Can't leave SoCal!! See you at NSXPO 2010. Gil

I had to move to Vegas also for my new job. I live in summerlin that is were my job is. I like the area and also coming from L.A. I could tell you that its waaaaayyyyyy cheaper to get a place here. At first I was not very sure about moving to vegas but after some time and the fact that it is cheap and the traffic is not like LA that was more than enough for me. In LA to go 30 miles use to take me over 1 hour and to live close to work in LA would be alot of money. Here I am 1.5 miles away from work and in a nice area. I cant belive in California just my houseing cost only would be over 3k a month. In vegas its less than half of that. Plus I notice that cops dont mess with moded cars as much as in LA. Over there you have fog lights ant they give you a ticket.

Vegas Named America's Most Stressful City...

America's Most Stressful Cities 2010
Francesca Levy, Forbes.com, Forbes.com
Aug 17, 2010

Every day overwhelmed Las Vegas residents flood the Stress Management Center of Nevada, looking for relief from their problems. They often complain of irregular work hours that keep them away from their families, and tensions that result from family health crises.

In Pictures: America's Most Stressful Cities
"Las Vegas has got its share of stressors," says Kathleen Grace Santor M.Ed., Ed.S., a therapist and yoga instructor who founded the center and has studied stress for 15 years. "The 24-hour day requires employees to work 24 hours a day. They're too busy, they have too much on their plate, and they're always hurried."

There's a good reason that Santor's business is brisk. Forbes found Las Vegas to be the most stressful city in the country, followed by Los Angeles, Calif., and Houston, Texas.

To pinpoint the most stressed-out cities, we measured the country's largest metropolitan areas on six metrics that can either cause or be caused by stress: high unemployment, long commute times, long work hours, limited access to health care, poor physical health and a lack of exercise.

Frayed nerves in Sin City
To 36 million tourists per year, Las Vegas is a place to blow off steam and get away from the pressures of daily life. But residents of the city are far from carefree. The housing crisis and recession hit the city hard, and it currently has a 14.5% unemployment rate, the highest of all the cities we studied.

Making matters worse is how few people are taking steps to relieve the pressure. Physical exercise is known to reduce stress, but Las Vegans exercise less than residents of any other big city--a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey showed that nearly 30% of all residents hadn't exercised in the past month.

"Someone who exercises for 30 minutes a day is going to have a lower level of stress hormones in their bloodstream than someone who never does," says Santos, who adds that the searing Las Vegas sun and biting desert winds inhibit outdoor exercise. "Right now nobody is going to go out walking. It's not one of those nice places where it's conducive to go for a walk and then come back and cook dinner."

LA was number two. Houston number three. Tampa number four, and Riverside, California number five.

I have a family of two boys(3 and 5 roughly) and I would aim to live in the following areas: Green Valley, Henderson, Summerlin, Southern Highlands and Southwest(Rhodes Ranch and surrounding areas) Those are all have better schools to take your kids too. My wife is a high school teacher for now and she has some good insight into that also. Where is your job located is a good question. If it is the center of town than any of those choices will work. Green Valley/Summerlin are more developed areas but a bit pricier because of that. However, if you are buying a house you can a good deal anywhere.

I have lived in Las Vegas for 40 years and I like the place. Spring and fall are wonderful, winters are mild, summer days are hot, here, and summer nights can be comfortable. You can live a stress-free life, depending on your work and family,and not gambling. I have no stress, and I appreciate it.

I live in the northwest part of town in an area zoned rural preserve...... There are some small housing developments in our area which which have smaller lots. Most houses have 1/2 acre lots with limits on street light pollution. The lot size gives one room for horses or extra garages. I have space for five cars.

Jean Perry, 702-858-3653, a friend for over 30 years, is a wonderful realtor. She will work hard to help you find the right house for you. I recommend her wholeheartedly.

Lance

Back