• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mr. Honda strikes again

It feels like my NSX is a whole new car again! The cruise control switch wasn't missed either.
biggrin.gif

Don't worry. The "Acura" on the cassette deck is going to be history.

airbag.jpg

airbag2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 15 February 2003).]

Okay, this is something I've never understood. You bought an Acura. It's an Acura. In other countries, it's a Honda, yes. However, in North America, it's an Acura. Why pretend otherwise? Why is it so important to make it look like the Honda that it is overseas? I just don't get it.

Heck, if you want to look like a Japanese original, don't you need to swap the steering wheel to the other side?

*bewildered*

For me, one reason why I like the Honda coversion is it makes for better continuity on the car. Yes, the North American Acura NSX has Acura badges and letering on many of its parts, yet many other parts (Like the Engine) says Honda. Lots of the lables on the car says Honda as well. The NSX I bought from my friend had a Honda conversion with Honda Airbag and all and that is how I will keep it. Also, for most people it is simply a desire to be different than all the other Acuras out there. Suttle changes like that make the owners happy and I respect them for going through the trouble even if it does seem trivial and expensive to others. Anything that brings more enjoyment out of the car you own can't be anything but a plus. Also, I thought that some Honda NSXs designated for certain contries are also left hand drive as well. Like those in Europe.

Like mentioned above, to each his own. Everyone has their own taste.

It's a matter of taste. The NSX is manufactured by Honda and I personally dislike the Acura name/logo as well as as the mismatched names all over the car. I'd rather the car have the name of the company that built it, not a name the marketing department put on it. If it was a Infiniti, I'd have Nissan badges all over it.

Do the "Honda" NSX owners ever long for the exclusivity of the Acura badge and make a like kind conversion?
In Japan I would think it would be kind of cool.

I just had a good look at the Ferrari badges on my 360; I'm thinking of replacing them with Fiat badges everywhere; at least both start with the same letter.

Originally posted by pbassjo:
Do the "Honda" NSX owners ever long for the exclusivity of the Acura badge and make a like kind conversion?
In Japan I would think it would be kind of cool.

I can't speak specifically for Japan NSX owners, although I have seen some, but I know a lot of Japan Legend owners used to do an Acura conversion. Often we used to try and swap parts since they wanted the US spec parts and we wanted the JDM spec parts. These were usually things like the headlights and corner lights as some of the badges and stuff could just be bought at a local Honda dealer.

[This message has been edited by ChrisK (edited 17 February 2003).]

Can't believe the comments being made about your choice to do with your car whatever you like. Geez, let the man be.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by bboxer:
I just had a good look at the Ferrari badges on my 360; I'm thinking of replacing them with Fiat badges everywhere; at least both start with the same letter.

LOL!!!

I think one thing to realize is that most of us are proud of the Honda marque and the NSX's association with it. Honda has a terrific reputation in the United States for many reasons - reliability, design, performance, value, engineering, competition, etc. Many of those are the same attributes that resulted in our selection of the NSX for our needs. So we are not just proud to own an NSX, but proud to own a Honda. Its Acura nomenclature is essentially a non-issue to most of us. We know that it's a Honda, and we're proud of that.

I doubt that the same could be said for a Ferrari owner and its association with Fiat, an Aston Martin owner and its association with Ford, a Jaguar owner and its association with Ford, a Porsche owner and its former association with Volkswagen, a Rolls Royce owner and its association with BMW (or, previously, Volkswagen), a Bentley owner and its association with Volkswagen, a Lamborghini owner (ALLAN) and its association with Volkswagen (or whoever owns them this week), etc.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 February 2003).]

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Lookin' good, Vytas. What kind of digital camera did you use?

I got a new Canon Powershot S45. It's a cool compact 4 megapixel camera that takes great pictures. Check it out at www.dpreview.com in the Reviews section.

Im kind of weird on this issue. I would love to have the Honda badges on the NSX, but I definitely wouldn't, for example, want Toyota badges on a Lexus. I guess I'm an unwitting victim of those "evil marketing guys". Toyota has created enough value in the Lexus brand that I actually think of it as a separate marque. Honda, on the other hand, really hasn't done a whole lot to distinguish Acura. The Honda brand, on the other hand, has had lots of interesting successes (like the Civic, the S2000 and the Insight).

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 17 February 2003).]

to answer the question is it cool to put acura badges on jap cars in Japan. Yes! In the Option2 magazine here (next to carbon fibre nsx engine covers, they have acura badges for front, acura rear tail lenses etc advertised regularly. European cars are also considered cool esp. the merc. I personally dont like badges at all, each to their own, as its been said......

Originally posted by Soichiro:
To each his own BUT I would give my right testicle for a Honda airbag as pictured above.

I have one in my car, but you have to give up more than a testicle for it
smile.gif
Anyway,I've seen complete Honda steering wheels with air bags on ebay.

For the Lexus badges, there are a lot of people that change over to Toyota badges. People like to use the Aristo badges on the GS400, the Soarer badges on the SC400 and so forth. It's more common than you think.

Originally posted by Vytas:
I got a new Canon Powershot S45. It's a cool compact 4 megapixel camera that takes great pictures. Check it out at www.dpreview.com in the Reviews section.

Thanks for the info, Vytas!

BTW, I'm ambivalent toward the Honda vs. Acura badge issue. To me, it's just about being different, and that's each person's perogative. I would still love the car even if it had a Yugo badge on it. Just my $0.02.

Originally posted by Phoenix:
I would still love the car even if it had a Yugo badge on it.

That could be arranged. And it would make your car unique.

One day Soichiro (the one here on NSXprime, not Mr. Honda) was at the track with a BMW roundel in place of the NSX front badge. I promptly dubbed the car the MSX.

Well Vytas, if you ever want to go back to a stock air bag your car could have more balls.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Originally posted by Aiken Drum:
Heck, if you want to look like a Japanese original, don't you need to swap the steering wheel to the other side?

If ChrisK wants to make his NSX look really Japanese, he'd have to rice every part of the car.
biggrin.gif

Well Vytas, if you ever want to go back to a stock air bag your car could have more balls.

LOL... but since most of us class the NSX as being female, what's it doing with bags/balls in the first place?
tongue.gif

Back