• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mugen M7 Wheels

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
Maybe some of you old school guys can help me out here. Remember the Mugen M7s? I know.. some of you may think these are the ugliest wheels ever made :). I'm just trying to figure out 2 things about the center section.

1. Does it unbolt? (I'm guessing it's a true 2 piece wheel in that the center section unbolts. Doesn't look like a 3 piece wheel from the few pics i've seen)

2. Is the diameter of the center section the same for all the 3 different sizes it came in? 15, 16, & 17 inch..

It looks the same since in the pics below the outer wheel barrel looks slightly larger than in the 16" but it would be nice to get some confirmation.

15"
yhst-1408381693991_1899_13271831

16"
yhst-1408381693991_1866_137300

I love the M7's and some guy on here is selling a set but they have been altered. They started out as 16/17's but now are 17/18 he had the face mounted on larger barrels.

I do believe that the size of the faces differ in diameter but you can buy a set and have them mounted on new barrel sizes of your choice. I would love a set myself but the guy wants over 6K:eek:

Hey Ryu!

I'm sure alesisthemovie can help you with your Mugen M7 questions. He's the gentleman who is selling the re-barreled M7s. I've always loved the M7s and wish I can justify paying 6k for a set of wheels, but just way out of budget for me at this time.

Goodluck friend!

Photo courtesy of MotorMavens. All rights go to MotorMavens and owner.
IMG_9689_Mugen_M7.jpg

Last edited:
The centers of the wheels posted are definitely different. The 15's have 32 bolts while the 16's have 40.

From a quick internet search, it appears that it's technically a 3 piece wheel but the outer shell (or ?) is welded to the barrel as opposed to bonded as with some other 3 piece wheels.

So I just had a passing thought . In my "fantasy world" where machine shop labor is free , I would buy a set of rota J-mag , then have the faces cut out of them and machined/drilled to mount inside of a set of custom barrels ...

Notice how most guys' fantasies consist of naked blondes ... Not me

The centers of the wheels posted are definitely different. The 15's have 32 bolts while the 16's have 40.

From a quick internet search, it appears that it's technically a 3 piece wheel but the outer shell (or ?) is welded to the barrel as opposed to bonded as with some other 3 piece wheels.
Counting the bolts was genius. Why didn't I think of that... After further inspection I enlarged the images and you can clearly measure the size of the mugen logo in relation to the 15 vs. 16. The spokes are clearly longer on the 16. I really shouldn't have expected any less from Mugen. Silly me...

So I just had a passing thought . In my "fantasy world" where machine shop labor is free , I would buy a set of rota J-mag , then have the faces cut out of them and machined/drilled to mount inside of a set of custom barrels ...

Notice how most guys' fantasies consist of naked blondes ... Not me
Thought about this! I have a line into Rota in Manila and i've toured the plant. Huge operation. It wouldn't be hard to pull a set of J-mag blanks mid-assembly line and just have them redrilled to 5x114. The only issue I have with this idea is that it is still a cast wheel. I can imagine the bolts around holes would fracture like a cookie. Perhaps they can be rewelded with fake bolts. LOL If you're going this far might as well have the mugen logo laser etched/milled too.

Counting the bolts was genius. Why didn't I think of that... After further inspection I enlarged the images and you can clearly measure the size of the mugen logo in relation to the 15 vs. 16. The spokes are clearly longer on the 16. I really shouldn't have expected any less from Mugen. Silly me...

Thought about this! I have a line into Rota in Manila and i've toured the plant. Huge operation. It wouldn't be hard to pull a set of J-mag blanks mid-assembly line and just have them redrilled to 5x114. The only issue I have with this idea is that it is still a cast wheel. I can imagine the bolts around holes would fracture like a cookie. Perhaps they can be rewelded with fake bolts. LOL If you're going this far might as well have the mugen logo laser etched/milled too.

AS I was saying , you would cut the centers out , then machine them to fit aftermarket barrels , drilling them out for "actual" bolts .

You would want to start with finished wheels so you would not need to do too much machining .

The rota J-mag is available in 5x114.3 in 16 and 17 so I would think you could make them into 17/18

Last edited:
On the topic of having centers relocated onto custom barrels, does anyone know which company does this type of work? It would seem that many two piece wheels are great candidates for this type of swap.

To answer your question Ryu. You are correct it is a true 2 piece wheel. The face the bolts and the main hoop. I know because I owned 2 sets of these wheels at one point.

PM me if you have any questions...

1pg.jpg

Excuse my ignorance here guys, but with all due respect can someone explain to me why these wheels are so expensive? Are they manufactured in some special way? Are they significantly better than anything produced by a company such as Rays, BBS or OZ? I admit they have a style all their own but I cannot say it's attractive.

...or is this just some hyped JDM thing?

Being a Nissan guy one of my fave wheels is the LM GT2, which I know alot of outsiders consider ugly, but I love it because it came out with the Nismo 400R, one of my all time favourite Skyline GTRs:
400r.jpg

...so i guess M7's are similar in attractiveness?

Last edited:
Part of the appeal with the Mugen brand is their close affiliation to Honda. It's the closest thing to a AMG/MBZ relationship we can have with a tuner.

If you're a guy like me who likes to keep things relatively OEM but still add edge to your personal ride then going Mugen is often the only choice for us Honda guys. Sometimes aesthetics takes a back seat... sometimes...

CH@D

Your NSX with the Mugen M7 rims is probably my favorite NSX here on prime. I love that fact that everything is OEM or close to OEM. I love how you fully embrace the look and feel of an NA1 NSX.

I will one day have a set of M7s on my NSX. After looking at your NSX i want the original NSX mugen M7s and not the custom ones on here for sale, nothing against the custom ones but I want to go all original.

Back