• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MY 190e 2.3 16V Restoration

After discussing my winter project with a few of you. I thought I would share a few photos of my winter Mercedes 190e 2.3 16V restoration project.

Today we started the engine bay restoration. The heads are off to the machine shop, the cam covers off to the powder coater, the headers off for refinishing and the engine bay will be detailed before re-assembly. You can follow the project

HERE

Rich

sweet car! Is that a 5 speed?

Looks like it's going to be a fun Winter!
Really nice looking ride :biggrin:
Hope to see you soon !

RichH said:
It is a 5 speed.

I had been looking for one for a long time.

The engine was built by Cosworth not AMG as many believe.

I finally hope to make the Holiday party this year.

I knw about the Cosworth motor, as my younger had one back in HS. Sold it on Ebay to a guy in the town over and made a fortune.

Man, I finally found someone that owns a 16V on prime. I just finished the restoration on my 87 16V. I bought a brand new euro spec 16V engine from Mercedes in Germany and now it is sitting in my engine bay. Along with straight pipe (required by the euro spec engine in order to get 185hp), Remus exhaust and replaced some other mechanical parts, the car runs awesome. My next project is to completely remove the SLS suspension system and replace with Bilstein shocks and H&R springs. PM me if you have any questions and hopefully we can share some experience on the 16V restoration.

I had a 93 190E 2.6, 400E brakes up front, SL600 brakes out back, 500E bar up front, E430 sport wheels, 2.3-16v tranny conversion parts, and was waiting for an m104 3.0 24v engine to swap in there. Then I sold her... heck the guy I sold it to is probably loving me for it ;)

CarCrazed4Life said:
I had a 93 190E 2.6, 400E brakes up front, SL600 brakes out back, 500E bar up front, E430 sport wheels, 2.3-16v tranny conversion parts, and was waiting for an m104 3.0 24v engine to swap in there. Then I sold her... heck the guy I sold it to is probably loving me for it ;)

Are you "1993 Silver 190E" on 190 Revolution?

Nice! The Mercedes museum in Stuttgart has a gold colored one (IIRC) with a large rear wing and some slicks. Always wondered what the history of the car was...

larrynsx said:
Are you "1993 Silver 190E" on 190 Revolution?

No I'm not. I use to be ChiragP @ MercedesShop. The new owner might be.

190E%201.jpg

190E%206.jpg

There are a few shots of the car... Def a nice choice for a project car ;)

Can you PM for more info. on the 400E brakes? I'm very interested and would like to know other than the 400E calipers, what else do I need? Like what size rotors or any other brackets involved?

Thanks!

Well seeing this is a 190E thread, I'll just post it here if no one minds ;)

Personally, I think the best thing to do is use Front and Rear 95 E420 brakes. Slightly thicker, and you have more options for rotors IIRC. It is also more balanced.

All you need are new rotors, calipers and pads. SSBLs are recommended. You will have to trim your Brake Shields or remove them completely.

I usually use Potomac German for all my used car parts needs, but lately car-part.com is the best resource :D

I also used the 2-stage caliper paints after sand blasting them. With good pads like Axxis ultimates, and good zimmerman rotors (I stayed away from the Balos)

IIRC AMG C32 caliper also worked. I was even going to try ML500 calipers by Brembo. I actually have a set still in my garage. I Remember someone saying that the claipers actually bolt up perfect since MB never changed their mounting specs. If someone actually had the proper specs, I could confirm them. ML500 and ML55 shared the same calipers as used in the S55 prior to the larger 6 and 8 piston upgrades. These are also the same calipers in the S500. So I also thought the S500's X-drilled oem rotors would swap on well.

Also, since these fit under 16" wheels, I figured it was perfect for the 190E. Even though I had 17s, the 16 with 215/50/16s I had where great for almost all of my driving. The 17s just added the look for me.

I bleieve 2phast has taken the best journal of all the ideas out there @: http://www.2phast.com/190E/default.htm

Enjoy ;)

Back