• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 92 GPW turbo built motor build

I recently bought my first NSX in September. I found my 1992 GPW here on prime. I picked it up in Tennessee and drove it back to MA where i live. I didn't sleep much the night before, who can when they are getting their first NSX. It far exceeded my expectations of performance and even more so comfort, I had never actually been in one or driven one before so i wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't expect it to be the fastest which wasn't a concern, theres always a cure for that which is the highlight of my build. The car was mostly stock when i got it aside from headers and exhaust. I've had a lot of experience with turbo setups, but not on an NSX. With winter quickly approaching i dropped my car off at synapse motorsport to fabricate the turbo kit. I decided on a simple y pipe setup from my headers. And an air to water intercooler using a garrett core. I'm building a spare motor myself right now to run the turbo setup on, and I'm just going to sell the stock excellent running longblock before i run the turbo setup on it. I'm also looking for a good "bang for the buck" suspension and brake setup for street use, not really much track. Suggestions would be great.

Planned Build List:

Engine specs:
Benson Sleeves
93mm CP 9:1 pistons
Pauter rods
Stock crank
ACL bearings
OEM oil pump, and water pump
Supertech valves, springs and retainers
Stock cams

Turbo kit:
Custom Synapse Motorsport fabrication
Garrett Billet wheel GTX3076r(pictures show a non gtx, its just for mockup while we were waiting for GTX)
Y pipe from headers
Magnaflow muffler with dual outlets
Garrett 1000hp A2W intercooler core
2.5" Aluminum charge piping
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
SOS a2w heat exchanger and kit

Electronics and Fuel:
AEM EMS
ID1000 injectors with SOS resistor box bypass plug
SOS Carbon/Carbon Clutch
DW301 fuel pump
Volk GT-n 17/18 nitto 285's in the back

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015-1.jpg

IMG950281.jpg

Spare engine ready to do work.
IMG_20110209_133313.jpg

IMG_20110209_133300.jpg

IMG_20110209_133245.jpg

IMG_20110209_133233.jpg

Last edited:
Bravo! I like it. GPW and turbo! Get a vented hood to increase airflow through your heat exchanger/radiator and run E85.

nice build list, are you determined on getting the pauter rods? Have you consider sticking with the oem rods? The stock Ti rods are pretty beefy and I dont think anyone had problems with them even up to 600whp. If not use that money and get the billet oil pump gears, billet main caps, and ATI harmonic balancer.

nice build list, are you determined on getting the pauter rods? Have you consider sticking with the oem rods? The stock Ti rods are pretty beefy and I dont think anyone had problems with them even up to 600whp. If not use that money and get the billet oil pump gears, billet main caps, and ATI harmonic balancer.

I'm not sure where my power goals will end so i just want a complete longblock i won't have to build ever again. If i only make 600whp then so be it. Since i'm using the stock crankshaft i'm not too worried about the mains or oil pump gear. With aftermarket mains and main studs you need an align hone which affects oil pump clearances which opens a whole new can of worms and can cause oil pump failures. I will be using either a new oem crank pulley or a harmonic balancer with the build.

Boy the ol Nsx is looking good. :)

Shes looking great, haven't had any issues. Already put 3-4k miles on it in the month i drove it. 1k miles back home, another 1k to maryland and back. what did you end up with after you sold me the NSX?

Back