• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Audi ownership has been horrible

Jim

Experienced Member
So in August 2009, my wife needed a car so we bought a '06 CPO Audi A3 2.0 turbo DSG with 38k miles. Personally, I did not want any Audi but she really wanted it. Prior to purchase, I combed the Audi A3 forums and did not see glaring owner issues. I lowered and debadged it, tinted the windows, installed clear corners and put on a S Line grill.

So far it’s nothing but trips to the dealership, recap of trouble:

Oct 2009 – ECM Software update (ok no big deal)
July 2010 – CEL light; Replaced all 4 Ignition coils
July 2010 - CEL light; They tell me the gas cap was loose (even though I checked and it was tight)
Dec 2010 - CEL light; Replaced the Pressure Regulating Valve
Feb 2011 - CEL light; Replace the Pressure Regulating Valve AGAIN!; Evaporator purge valve also replaced
Mar 2011 – CEL light; They tell me again it is the gas cap (even though I double checked)
Jun 2011 – CEL light; Coolant temperature sender replaced
July 2011 – Thermostat replaced
August 2011 – Thermostat replaced again!!!
Sept 2011 – Warranty expires
March 2012 – CEL light; EVAP leak detection pump replaced

So this month’s repair was out of warranty. I ranted to Audi and they good willed 50% and the dealership good willed the other 50%. Also, this car eats a quart of oil every month. I know all Audis aren’t this bad but it’s funny so many people warned me before about “buying an Audi”. :redface:

6967416297_96aecae2c1_z.jpg

Sorry to hear.

This is why I generally stay away from German cars. Because once you're outside of warranty, be prepared to hand over massive amounts of money to fix even minor things.

Stay with Japanese / Korean cars, even Fords, heck, they make great cars now.

There is really no need to buy a German vehicle unless you like the panache of a German brand. I love my Japanese / Korean vehicles.

I have 2 Audi now. Make sure you got the ext warranty up to 80K miles or so :tongue: it is a little bit like "money pit".

A good source for reliabilty records is the Consumer Reports auto issue or their annual paperback. Audi/Volkswagon has never done well. BMW and Mercedes just get average grades. CR results are non-biased and based on testing and consumer complaints. These cars are all fun to drive and that sells them. Then the maintenance issues start :frown:.

This is the reason why I don't buy a used Porsche.
Seems like German cars are nice when new, but can't hold miles at all.

Every time I think about getting an R8 I sit down and think about my experience with an 85 5000 - when I stop shaking the urge is gone and I go hug my NSX.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear.

This is why I generally stay away from German cars. Because once you're outside of warranty, be prepared to hand over massive amounts of money to fix even minor things.

There is really no need to buy a German vehicle unless you like the panache of a German brand. I love my Japanese / Korean vehicles.

Well, I am a previous owner of 2 BMW E46s, had them for 7 years total and nothing ever broke, just did maintenance. My current DD is a E60, going on 6 years now and nothing ever broke (knock on wood). Of course I know BMWs are not trouble free either, but my 13 years of ownership have been just as reliable as Japanese makes. I guess I got a little unlucky with this particular A3 so I may sell it soon.

Love German cars but it's like the owner of a BMW shop told me --- BMW stood for "Bring Money Wit'cha" and Porsche/Audis are worse. We won't even talk about Benzes---

Every time I think about getting an R8 I sit down and think about my experience with an 85 5000 - when I stop shaking the urge is gone and I go hug my NSX.

I never had to replace a trans in any of my Audis. Consumer reports are the extremly biased toward Japanese manufactures. Comparing anything 1985 to modern day cars is nothing short of silly. He's getting a cel code most likely from a $20 part. Op try replacing the temp sending unit on the back of the motor. There is a small retaining clip that holds it in. The temp sending unit will cause all kinds of issues. (Not the thermostat)

Last edited:

There are no neutral stories about German cars, you will either hear about those 200k+ mile worry free cars or complete nightmares. I'm sticking to my hondas :cool:.

I had a VW Jetta. Seems to run in the family. . :rolleyes:

Best advice I can give you is to buy an OBD-II reader so you can pull your own CEL codes.
Search for the codes online Audi forums and you'll find a lot of people with the same issues. I ended up doing that and purchasing my own parts and replacing them myself.. up until the point I got fed up and sold it!! :tongue:

You know what they say about stereotypes.. it's rare there isn't some truth to them. Anyone who thinks german luxury brands, on average, are anywhere close to Lexus/Acura etc. in terms of reliability/durability is dreaming. That isn't to say there aren't problem free BMW's and very troublesome Acuras (TL transmission debacle comes to mind).

This is the reason why I don't buy a used Porsche.

Porsche is very solid. They were ranked #1 in one of the latest JD power reliability tests. They are always near the top. Two Posrches in my familt with over 100K miles on each with not ONE THING gone wrong.

In between German marks they are really good.

Sorry to hear.

Japanese cars don't have the low end torque of German's. German cars feels much more sporty than Japanese cars - that's the most important difference to many people.

You know what they say about stereotypes.. it's rare there isn't some truth to them. Anyone who thinks german luxury brands, on average, are anywhere close to Lexus/Acura etc. in terms of reliability/durability is dreaming. That isn't to say there aren't problem free BMW's and very troublesome Acuras (TL transmission debacle comes to mind).

It all comes down to maintenace. Japanese cars will probably survive without much maintenance. However if German cars are properly maintained they are in fact quite durable. In general they do have more trouble with electronics, but both engine and transmission are quite durable.

Well, NSXs have many trouble spots too. Snap ring, auto climate control, speaker amp, some cars's ABS system (expensive fix), 2nd gear in manual transmission cars, etc.

I never had to replace a trans in any of my Audis. Consumer reports are the extremly biased toward Japanese manufactures. Comparing anything 1985 to modern day cars is nothing short of silly. He's getting a cel code most likely from a $20 part. Op try replacing the temp sending unit on the back of the motor. There is a small retaining clip that holds it in. The temp sending unit will cause all kinds of issues. (Not the thermostat)

+1 ........... 2009 A3 turbo here with chip. 40k miles, tires, wiper blades and that's pretty much it. That little wagon is quick!

Porsche is very solid. They were ranked #1 in one of the latest JD power reliability tests. They are always near the top. Two Posrches in my familt with over 100K miles on each with not ONE THING gone wrong.

In between German marks they are really good.

Porsche frequently replace their engines under warrantee. I know that because couple of my friends with 997 had it done. Always something stupid.

Well, NSXs have many trouble spots too. Snap ring, auto climate control, speaker amp, some cars's ABS system (expensive fix), 2nd gear in manual transmission cars, etc.

............. clutch master/slave leaks, right cv boot and rear tires.

I remember my 5000, was a beautiful spring day when I started the car to let it run for a while to warm up. When I came back out minutes later I could see smoke churning inside the car. At that very moment the car rolled its own windows down and opened the sunroof. My first mistake, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out. My second mistake was going to a junk yard and removing an ENTIRE wiring harness which I put into my car.

The A3 can be a headache. I had a VW GTI, DSG, with a few fun parts on it. IF the car is not mega maintained it will fall apart. I changed the fuel pump with the APR pump after I had to change the cam follower as preventative maintenance.

DSG flush has to happen every 40,000 miles, oil every 5000, and i did my fuel filter every other oil change. mine was amazingly maintained even up to 95,000 miles, but i hit a deer and the car was a loss..

Speaking of transmissions

www.roadandtrack.com/tests/long-tests/2010-audi-s4-wrap-up

Some of the responses make me laugh. I'm sorry that your experience has been poor, perhaps its just an incompetent dealer that you are working with?

To be fair, the car you bought is more a VW than Audi...but I guess its got the four rings.

Haha, twenty five years ago I had a 1985 Honda with a bad muffler. Better not by a 2012 Accord....

Yeah, damn those 911 Turbos with the 450 hp, AWD, the minute they are out of warranty they fall to pieces!

417640_309798719084648_106810686050120_838528_1754753232_n.jpg

Anyone who thinks german luxury brands, on average, are anywhere close to Lexus/Acura etc. in terms of reliability/durability is dreaming.

I agree, but Audi/Merc/BMW cars are a step up in terms of everything else. So you got to give to get. Sure the Lexus LS is bulletproof, but what good is reliability if you fall asleep behind the wheel?

Back