• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My car does not start on first crank

Sigh* ... My Main relay has been replaced last year with a brand new one striaght from acura but recently the car will not start on the first try. I would have to crank the car (doesn't matter how long) then crank it again so it fires up. I do notice a old gas smell (replaced fuel filter 2 months ago) coming out after the car is started for a brief moment then goes away. The car does not sputter or bog out once its started. What is going on?

EndlessNA1 said:
Sigh* ... My Main relay has been replaced last year with a brand new one striaght from acura but recently the car will not start on the first try. I would have to crank the car (doesn't matter how long) then crank it again so it fires up. I do notice a old gas smell (replaced fuel filter 2 months ago) coming out after the car is started for a brief moment then goes away. The car does not sputter or bog out once its started. What is going on?

I'm on my second NSX, and yes, it happens. Try this, turn the key to ignition position without starting the motor, let the starter warm up for about five to ten seconds, it should help.

Same thing was happening to me, SO I REPLACED;
the battery= newoptima battery
alternator=cantrell polished and NEW
starter=cantrell polished and NEW
replaced sparks, and she fires right up now.:wink: :biggrin:

EndlessNA1 said:
I do notice a old gas smell (replaced fuel filter 2 months ago) coming out after the car is started for a brief moment then goes away.

No gas leaks around the filter right?
Is the filter directional or anything on the NSX?

I've heard some people say this happens to them when they're low on gas. Don't know how much truth there is to that...

I've also heard the same thing above about waiting a second between turning the key to on, and firing it. This lets the fuel pump get pressure built up.

Briank said:
First guess would be that your fuel pump is going bad and intermittently not working. Also you can pull the clock fuse and reset the ECU which may help.

I can hear the fuel pump working fine everytime I turn the key. That wouldn't explain why I smell fuel after cranking it. I'm guessing it has to do with spark.

btcog82 said:
Same thing was happening to me, SO I REPLACED;
the battery= newoptima battery
alternator=cantrell polished and NEW
starter=cantrell polished and NEW
replaced sparks, and she fires right up now.:wink: :biggrin:

I have a kinetic battery
Alternator wouldn't have anything to do with this.
Starter... Possible but I doubt it.
I guess I'll try the spark plugs (I replaced those the same time as the fuel filter)

I dont know if I would feel good telling you to try this, but if you are careful and want to test it yourself, you can pull a sparkplug wire and see if it will arc to something grounded. It could very well be your coil.

jond said:
I dont know if I would feel good telling you to try this, but if you are careful and want to test it yourself, you can pull a sparkplug wire and see if it will arc to something grounded. It could very well be your coil.

Good answer, the NSX has no spark plug wires, cap or rotor but it does have 6 coils. :rolleyes:

Briank said:
See if it will fire by giving it a little gas. My NSX when its hot it somtimes takes a lot of cranking to get it to fire. Stepping on the gas a little while cranking will get it to fire right up.

I just tried it several times but did not work. The turn the key to on and wait 5 secs before I crank it works fine. I think its the ignitor unit.. Does anyone know hoe much this part cost?

Briank said:
Good answer, the NSX has no spark plug wires, cap or rotor but it does have 6 coils. :rolleyes:
hahahha. Shows you how much I've poped my hatch!
So what controls when the coils fire?

Back