• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My CD changer fixed itself!

Well almost by itself...

When I received delivery of my Zanardi the CD changer was completely dead. No CDs would play, and it would keep skipping to the next CD. A few days later I ran a CD cleaning disk, and to my suprize the audio portion on the cleaning disk played, but it was very distored. No other CDs would play.

Skip ahead about a week and about half of my CDs started playing, yet with lots of noise and distortion. At this time I disassembled the changer and cleaned the laser's lens with a alcohol swab, but there was no change in operation.

Another two weeks later and all my bought CDs play perfectly, yet some of my CD-Rs that I made play but with distortion. Today even the CD-Rs play perfectly. I don't get how it fixed itself, as there was no immediate effect after cleaning the lens.

Anyhow, I think I want to loose the CD changer and put in the new Alpine MP3 changer, this seems like a very cool product.

Another question, does my car have a subwoofer? I hear a lot of bass but I can't find where it's comming from. Thanks

-Eric C

[This message has been edited by EricC (edited 20 May 2002).]

If it's an Acura branded CD Changer, I'd try to have an Acura dealer replace it... then if you still really want the Alpine S634 MP3 player, I'd sell the Acura branded CD Changer as new and get the S634.

Honestly, I think I'd have a hard time convincing the dealer to replace the unit, since it appears to be working perfectly now.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
If it's an Acura branded CD Changer, I'd try to have an Acura dealer replace it... then if you still really want the Alpine S634 MP3 player, I'd sell the Acura branded CD Changer as new and get the S634.

My system has a wobble or distortion in the sound as well. I bought new door speakers because I thought the amps may be bad. After installing the new speakers I have found that it still sounds the same. Could this be the cd changer?

Wobble and distortion are two different things. Wobble - a variation in pitch (known in audio as wow or flutter, depending upon how it varies) - has mechanical causes and is most often associated with analog recording media (records and tapes), not digital ones (CD and DVD). Distortion can be introduced anywhere in the system. Presumably you have distortion, not wobble.

Since the CD player gets played through the same amps and speakers as the radio and cassette player, the first question is whether you also hear the distortion when you play the radio (preferably FM, with its higher audio quality) and audiocassettes. If you do, then it's not the CD player. If you only hear the distortion when playing CD's, then it's the CD player (or possibly the wiring that goes to the CD player).

I recently upgraded to the alpine cha-s634 and it skips all the time. My other Alpine changer never skipped. Has anyone else had this problem?

djdrock said:
I recently upgraded to the alpine cha-s634 and it skips all the time. My other Alpine changer never skipped. Has anyone else had this problem?
I wonder whether maybe it has an adjustment for the vertical mount vs the horizontal mount, like the stock system? The wrong adjustment can cause skipping. This is described in the FAQ here (scroll down to where it says "How Can I Stop The CD Player From Skipping?").

nsxtasy said:
I wonder whether maybe it has an adjustment for the vertical mount vs the horizontal mount, like the stock system? The wrong adjustment can cause skipping. This is described in the FAQ here (scroll down to where it says "How Can I Stop The CD Player From Skipping?").

Yes, it does have an adjustment for that. I moved it to the same location as was on my older Alpine changer. Still...it skips. I will mess with it a bit more, and if that does not work, I will exchange it. Thanks for you reply and link!!!

EricC said:
... Another question, does my car have a subwoofer? I hear a lot of bass but I can't find where it's comming from....

nsxtasy said:
Yes, in the passenger side footwell.

You can read more about the NSX sound system here.

I don't care what the marketing hype says, that is NOT a subwoofer.

"Bass" is a pretty broad term. The exact definition of "subwoofer" will vary, but general consensus is in the <120Hz range, although audiophiles will put them lower at <80Hz frequencies.
There is no way that puny 4" speaker is getting down to even 120Hz, let alone below it!

MCM said:
The factory sound system is the highlight of my car!
:biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:
I'm sorry to hear that. I can think of many many facets of my car that are highlights considerably beyond even my substantially enhanced media system.

Back