• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Dilemma.........to Stoptech or Not to Stoptech

Hi all,

The last thing (yes, I'm serious) I would consider upgrading (well, maybe also the ABS system) would be the brakes on my NA1.

Seeing Chris' beautiful trophy set during NSX Australia 2013 makes me salivate even more...........I'd only go for the normal version in the Silver colour.

I will admit that I would be getting it mostly for the bling bling wanky factor..............won't be tracking the car.....

The dilemma is this:

1) I'm conscious about insurance in the event of an accident as the brake kit is not ADR approved. I had a chat with my insurer and he said he'll insure it if it is 'legally on the road'. Onto VicRoads....

2) I believe this kit 'may' be TUV approved which is more stringent than ADR. I talked to VicRoads and mentioned TUV to see if ADR recognises this standard. They advised me to talk to a VASS engineer.

3) I spoke to a VASS engineer who said that TUV 'may' be recognised........but they could do a brake test and provide a certificate of non-degradation to braking performance for around $400-$500. But he did say to speak to my insurer and this was when I said that I'm going around in circles.

To those that have aftermarket BBKs, especially the Stoptechs.............have you:

a) Found a reference that the Stoptechs are 'legal' in Australia due to equivalent standard recognition or otherwise?

b) Got a certificate from a VASS?

c) Lost no sleep by ignoring ADR compliance and believe you'll be ok even in an accident as these brakes are easily proved to be superior in the court of law?

Cheers.

Its my understanding that 2 piece rotors are an illegal mod.
I hope i'm wrong cos i will be getting a set of stoptechs in the future.
Keep us informed if you have any news.
I would be very interested to find out.:smile:

Hey Funky, thanks for the heads up about 2 piece rotors..... But I thought even DBA sells two piece rotors? I may be wrong and this may not be a good reason to assume that their ADR approved.

To be honest, over the past week, I'm heading down the "I don't think it's worth it" path........unless someone can put my mind at ease.

It's a shame, I love the look of more modern brakes on the NSX.

DBA dont do a two piece for the NSX standard sizes in either 91-96 or 97-2005, i have upgraded to the 97+ size and have their 4000 series cryo treated.
I had to get the car certified for the coilovers or the insurance would not cover any accident and i would have had to get it done again if i went to different brakes which is why in the end i just went up the size and stayed OEM, our rules are modelled off the State of Victoria.
For what its worth with the pads, fluid, braided lines and no heat shield they handle everything i throw at them and do look way better than the old ones.
View attachment 98484View attachment 98485View attachment 98486View attachment 98487

Hey Funky, thanks for the heads up about 2 piece rotors..... But I thought even DBA sells two piece rotors? I may be wrong and this may not be a good reason to assume that their ADR approved.

To be honest, over the past week, I'm heading down the "I don't think it's worth it" path........unless someone can put my mind at ease.

It's a shame, I love the look of more modern brakes on the NSX.
I agree,
Stoptechs look great and thats the size brakes the car should of come out with in the first place.
You can always change back to oem brakes if you have an accident. (if its possible)

Michael,

You did say you were after the bling/wank factor rather than performance, so these do fit the bill. I'm pleased to hear you could anticipate where the link was taking you.

All the best,

David

Back