• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My first check engine light! Oh no!!

I'm freaking out (of course). I was just driving home and when I hit about 120mph the TCS and the CEL came on! I'll admit my rear tires are bald... I mean bald. AND I'm out of alignment, at least I think so, because it's a little wobbly once I get into the higher speeds... so I've been expecting the TCS to be coming on soon.

So when the TCS light just popped on I wasn't surprised, but why did the CEL also come on? Maybe the CEL just came on because it sensed the TCS problem?? Or does this mean there is something definitely wrong with the engine??

I pulled over and opened the hatch while it was still running and everything looked and smelled just fine. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on, and the TCS light and CEL light are still on. I drove the rest of the way home (only 5 minutes, I know that was probably stupid) and let it cool off in the driveway and turned it back on and both lights are still on. (not flashing, just steady on)

Any ideas?

I'm freaking out (of course). I was just driving home and when I hit about 120mph the TCS and the CEL came on! I'll admit my rear tires are bald... I mean bald. AND I'm out of alignment, at least I think so, because it's a little wobbly once I get into the higher speeds...

I don't know why your cel came on but unless you are trying to win a Darwin Award, your driving habits need serious reconsideration.......

If you dont' have a Check Engine Light reader, go to your local pep boys and they will tell you what the code # is.

Get new tires too.

Tires are on their way, I just had to pick my car up from the detailer. (alignment will be done once they're installed) I probably shouldn't have went so fast but that stretch of highway is amazing and complete unpatrolled, couldn't help it. I buckled up though!

pull the fuse, and let sit then put fuse back go drive car. what year is this NSX?

Upgrade the nut behind the steering wheel, then fix the CEL light.

120mph is no big deal, but not when you need an alignment and have really bald tires, unless you're trying to make an insurance claim for higher than what your car is worth.

I don't know why your cel came on but unless you are trying to win a Darwin Award, your driving habits need serious reconsideration.......

+1. Not trying to pile on here (who am I kidding) but IMHO CEL and TCS lights are the least of your worries. Not sure which is worse...driving 120 mph on misaligned bald tires or publicly admitting driving 120 mph on misaligned bald tires...belted in or not. You seemed more concerned about driving 5 minutes with a CEL!

DO NOT disconnect the battery. Get the code. Forget the TCS light, get the CEL code. Report back:).

Regards,
LarryB

Back