• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 shift problems 2nd to 3rd> 6500 rpm - HELP

Hi guys,
probably you can help me in this regard:

Have shift problems from 2nd to 3rd gear (only this gears) and only > 6500 rpm and above.
Simply do not get the gear in. No scratching noise, nothing - just do not get the gear in.
Already changed fluid but no major changes, clutch has beeen changed approx. 3000 km ago, from previous owner.

Any idea? Might be synchronizer ring but there is no scratching noise so.... probably previous owner did mistake while changing the clutch?

I used this kind of tool
db52f8fd3416dc43f84aebe6005709fa.jpg

b11cbbffbf1c5b3eea3e4c366f0736a1.jpg

That fork looking that attaches to your clutch, you should be able to losten up the 10mm nut, adjust the rod(pushing out the pedal. This should give you a little more push on your clutch fork. If this process works, your clutch is worn out. BTW, are you in snap ring range? I can almost guarantee your clutch is worn, just because its not going in.

Last edited:
will check that - but if clutch would be worn, should't I have probs in every gear and not only from 2nd to 3rd > 6500 rpm?

I have the exact same issue on my 94. I thought at first it was just me missing the shift, but it happens almost all (98%) of the time when I am hard on accelerantion and only 2nd -3rd. The car does have a aftermarket knob with I thought may not be weight balanced well enough. Like the OP I have no clutch slip or chatter, nothing to suggest clutch issue and fluids have been changed as well. hmmmm.

I had the same issue and switched over to the GM synchromesh transmission fluid cocktail after about 2000 miles the problem disappeared.

I am not a native speaker so sorry for question, but what is " Double clutching"?

Thinking about to try the GM synchromesh friction modified Fluid... Pure ...or do i have to mix it? what do you think?
See if double clutching helps. Get back to us.

Last edited:
Double clutching heißt zwischenkuppeln. Also Kupplung steigen, gang raus, kupplung los lassen, Kupplung treten, nächster Gang rein. Das hilft die Drehzahlen der Synchroneinheit anzugleichen und damit sollte es eigentlich leicht reingehen. Wie früher bei nicht synchronisierten Getrieben.

Bernhard

Double clutching heißt zwischenkuppeln. Also Kupplung steigen, gang raus, kupplung los lassen, Kupplung treten, nächster Gang rein. Das hilft die Drehzahlen der Synchroneinheit anzugleichen und damit sollte es eigentlich leicht reingehen. Wie früher bei nicht synchronisierten Getrieben.

Bernhard

Lmao

Dear all,

old thread but wanted to inform you:
Double clutching helps meaning when I double clutch in high RPMs from 2nd into 3rd not shifting problems.
So what does it mean?

synchro rings ...

I would try another oil change before disassembling the gearbox because when you are in there you can also swap all bearings and maybe an NSX-R final drive which will add up to a big $$$$ invest.

Bernhard

Dear Bernhard,

which kind of oil do you recommend? Again ATF or is there anything "outstanding" available on the market?

Last edited:
Imho the only oil that belongs into a honda gearbox is honda MTF.

but you can try the special oil mix a lot people here on prime run with good results. The oil is changed easily .. if it does not work you can go back to MTF right away.

Bernhard

Hey Bernhard,

I know, oil change is easy.

Regarding oil mix I really tried to figure out how this mix looks like meaning who mixes which kind of oil in which way.
To be honest I did not get through this systematic completely, probably due to not being native speaker.
Do you know exactly which kind of oil typ is mixed with what ?

Imho the only oil that belongs into a honda gearbox is honda MTF.

but you can try the special oil mix a lot people here on prime run with good results. The oil is changed easily .. if it does not work you can go back to MTF right away.

Bernhard

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ansmission-Fluid-Change?highlight=synchromesh

From what I understand it is mixed like this:

1 QT - GM synchromesh fluid - #89021808

2 QT - GM Friction Modified - #12377916

1 QT is 1/4 of a gallon which is little less than 1 Liter. So this mix adds up to around 3 Liters.

If you want to buy cheap MTF, check out coxmotorparts.co.uk . I ordered there recently and got 1 Liter MTF for around 14 Euros (incl shipping). That's a lot cheaper than our local Honda Dealer sells it and you get the 1 Liter bottles.

Bernhard

There are lots of members running this exact mix as am I. Totally sold on it. 15000 miles later still shifts smoothly with no glitch going into 3rd at redline.
I'm sure there are GM dealers in Germany.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ansmission-Fluid-Change?highlight=synchromesh

From what I understand it is mixed like this:

1 QT - GM synchromesh fluid - #89021808

2 QT - GM Friction Modified - #12377916

1 QT is 1/4 of a gallon which is little less than 1 Liter. So this mix adds up to around 3 Liters.

If you want to buy cheap MTF, check out coxmotorparts.co.uk . I ordered there recently and got 1 Liter MTF for around 14 Euros (incl shipping). That's a lot cheaper than our local Honda Dealer sells it and you get the 1 Liter bottles.

Bernhard

Back