• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

na2 front brakes on a na1 car

Not totally messed up but maybe a little bit depending on the pads you mount and where you drive. I don't see a big drawback but going 02+ on the rear would be better.

The NSX-R has a different weight anyway.
NA2 moved the brake a little to the rear but not by much. But the NSX the front ones have a lot to do anyway compared to Porsches and other younger cars. The NSX lacks an electronic distribution control which is standard for todays cars.

Modern ABS systems allow for more rear bias, because the computer has more line pressure to modulate lockup. In many new BMWs and Porsches, removing the ABS with the stock master/calipers = significant rear lockup.

Changing the pads Front to Rear can combat this, or any difference between NA1 vs. NA2 front caliper.

Modern ABS systems allow for more rear bias, because the computer has more line pressure to modulate lockup. In many new BMWs and Porsches, removing the ABS with the stock master/calipers = significant rear lockup.

As the new ABS system was installed on 99+ the 97+ brakes don't improve the NSX F/R ratio significantly. As the year flew by...
I compared the brake temps of the NSX and GT-3 brakes during a drivers course and the NSX brakes in the rear were disturbingly cool compared to the GT-3 ones while the front ones of the NSX were also disturbingly hot and stinking.

Improving NSX brakes is more improving brake distribution than mounting bigger brakes but as the first one involves engineering the second one is the route most have to/will go.

Last edited:
As the new ABS system was installed on 99+ the 97+ brakes don't improve the NSX F/R ratio significantly. As the year flew by...
I compared the brake temps of the NSX and GT-3 brakes during a drivers course and the NSX brakes in the rear were disturbingly cool compared to the GT-3 ones while the front ones of the NSX were also disturbingly hot and stinking.

Improving NSX brakes is more improving brake distribution than mounting bigger brakes but as the first one involves engineering the second one is the route most have to/will go.

Depends on the suspension (springs) you are running and the pads.
When I ran HP+ F/R the rears were much hotter than the fronts. Carbotech XP10 & XP8 rear - they were even.

Depends on the suspension (springs) you are running and the pads.
When I ran HP+ F/R the rears were much hotter than the fronts. Carbotech XP10 & XP8 rear - they were even.

Why the springs?

The car I observed had OEM pads (91). Mine has HP+. I'm astonished you observed hotter rear brakes. Will test it on my car. :wink:
Wait, let me think. Don't you have custom ducting to your brake discs? :)

Last edited:
Newer Porsches squat in the rear under braking while the NSX seems to have more front dive (more front bias). The front brakes still do the majority of the braking, but yes, adding slightly more rear bias to make the rears work a little more would help.

Back