• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA2 Head Light or similar?

It might have been covered many times but what exactly do I need to do away with the pop up head lights on my NA1?

I know with NA2 lights I will need the hood and bumper also but is there anything out there that sells just the light units that will fit the NA1?

Thanks so much

There's no such thing as "NA1 headlights" or "NA2 headlights". :rolleyes:

NA1 and NA2 are engine codes. The NA2 engine code refers to the 3.2-liter engine that was included in all manual-transmission NSXs in the 1997-2005 model years. The NA1 engine code refers to the 3.0-liter engine that was included in all manual-transmission NSXs in the 1991-1996 model years, and in all automatic transmission NSXs in all model years, 1991-2005.

There are two versions of the NSX headlights. One version, with pop-up headlight covers, was in all 1991-2001 NSXs, including those with NA1 engines and NA2 engines. The other version was in all 2002-2005 NSXs, including those with NA1 engines and those with NA2 engines.

There's no such thing as "NA1 headlights" or "NA2 headlights". :rolleyes:

NA1 and NA2 are engine codes. The NA2 engine code refers to the 3.2-liter engine that was included in all manual-transmission NSXs in the 1997-2005 model years. The NA1 engine code refers to the 3.0-liter engine that was included in all manual-transmission NSXs in the 1991-1996 model years, and in all automatic transmission NSXs in all model years, 1991-2005.

There are two versions of the NSX headlights. One version, with pop-up headlight covers, was in all 1991-2001 NSXs, including those with NA1 engines and NA2 engines. The other version was in all 2002-2005 NSXs, including those with NA1 engines and those with NA2 engines.

No offense Ken, but its like nails on chalk board everytime I see you write this correction, we all know what the OP means when he refers to NA2 headlights, its a quick and easy shorthand, and is commonly used, even by people who have been around these cars long enough to know the difference.

To the OP, there are several fixed headlight options, however many of them are rare, expensive, out of production, and produce inferior light to the OEM pop ups; here is a thread I created on the subject:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92577&highlight=revolution+headlights

I had the revoultion headlights installed for a while on my 1994 nsx, prior to the 2002 facelift conversion.

If you want to use the OEM fixed headlights, or the GT-Rom headlights, which have the same exterior dimensions as 2002+ headlights, you will need to also change (or extensively modify) your front bumper and hood. There are also brackets which are required to mount the new lights, the two rear brackets, per headlight, are OEM, around $30/ea, the final front bracket is aftermarket, you can fabricate one, or purchase one already fabricated. Internal bracket supports must also be changed, essentially the pricetag for an '02 conversion ranges between $4500 (for a staggering deal, front only), to $10k+ depending on what you want done. I would say $8k, for a well done front end only conversion, is a fair assessment.

Would it be more correct to refer to them differences as Gen 1 and Gen 2? :smile:

As for the original question, Downforce.biz ALL THE WAY! :wink:

No offense Ken, but its like nails on chalk board everytime I see you write this correction
Despite the personal grudge you obviously still have about my posts, it's a FACT that there's no such thing as NA1 headlights or NA2 headlights. There are two kinds of headlights on the NSX: 1991-2001 headlights, and 2002-2005 headlights. It's easy enough to call them that (or the "pop-up headlights" vs the "HID headlights"), rather than using inaccurate and confusing terminology.

Would it be more correct to refer to them differences as Gen 1 and Gen 2? :smile:

Not really. :smile: Technically, the generation would indicate a redesign of the vehicle, which didn't happen w/ the NSX (and no, minor engine changes, facelifts, don't count as redesign). All NSXs through 2005 are Gen 1.

For headlights, it would be appropriate to say "fixed" vs. "flip/pop up" as oppsed to NA1 vs. NA2.

some people said fixed headlights are UGLY. WHY?

i feel they are so beautiful.

but i feel pop up is very UGLY which is on my car now.:frown:

... There are two kinds of headlights on the NSX: 1991-2001 headlights, and 2002-2005 headlights. It's easy enough to call them that (or the "pop-up headlights" vs the "HID headlights"), rather than using inaccurate and confusing terminology.

To make it more accurate and more confusing, don't forget the custom order HID pop-ups!

Attachments

• NSX pop-up HID headlights.jpg
    NSX pop-up HID headlights.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I knew what he meant by the title, and was looking forward to some good information. Instead I got this B.S. :confused:

What information do you want? I'd be glad to help. I have done several 1991-2001 to 2002+ headlamp and body conversions on cars both NA1 and NA2 cars.

Last edited:
I agree right terminology is important.
And FeetFxr, I was also curious about the headlight link you gave, and did thought of holding off my conversion. Glad I did wait too long, even the latest picture had the headlight 'bubble' a bit too high.:frown:

some people said fixed headlights are UGLY. WHY?

i feel they are so beautiful.

but i feel pop up is very UGLY which is on my car now.:frown:

Wouldnt call them ugly, just outdated. IMO the pop ups look better when closed, while the fixed looks better at night.

I cant understand how I was able to buy fixed lights for my rx7 93 for 300.00, but have to pay darn near 4k for NSX....Geewise. Its got to be a company out there that could make some 02 replicas that would fit the 91-2001 design and not break the bank...

Last edited:
On the lighter side. Hows about more pics of that avatar.:biggrin::wink:

SaraKathryne1.jpg

SaraNSX.jpg

Yeah, which one is you?:smile:

I'm the guy taking the pic... LOL :tongue: :biggrin:

Good man!
The seat cover looks a little sloppy but the young lady looks great.

Last edited:
can you confirm that the parts listed in this post are all that is required?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=962048&postcount=4

Looks good except that you will need two controls and ignitors. Most use a aftermarket hid set from their old car which is a bit less expensive.

The Downforce headlamp brackets are very nice and I suggest getting those. I believe SOS makes them as well but their site page for this is on the fritz.

Downforce also make a nice headlamp layover (a bit pricey @ $175) so I usually make them for each car. I have seen many just cut the holes for the adjusters and leave it that way. Looks barbaric to me.

You will also need a couple of additional headlamp mounting brackets. 33173-SL0-A01, 33123-SL0-A01 and two 33124-SL0-A01 and four of these screws 33108-S0A-J01. I want to say you'll need two bolts but believe you can use some from your old lamps.

The SOS link to the 2002+ conversion seems to be having some problems as there are no links to see the components of the packages. They usually are right on the money with this stuff as fussing with a dealer getting all these parts can be a pain. I do it all day so I'm used to it. For most it would seem easier to pay the little extra and let them put together the package correctly so your ready to roll when you start this project.

Last edited:
Back