• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

National Lampoon's Vacation - hope not!

I am planning a family vacation (me, wife, 8 yr son, 11 yr daughter) to fly to Vegas on April 12, rent a van and drive around the southwest (NV, AZ, NM, CO) for 15 days or so...

What is the best route to see the following without too much backtracking? We can probably figure this out logistically on our own, but welcome suggestions.:smile: Should the loop be clockwise or counter clockwise?

What are recommended hikes and places to stay in these locations? Are there any other suggested points of interests in these areas that we should consider?

Sunset Volcano and Painted Desert
Grand Canyon
Grand Staircase
Antelope Canyon
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Capitol Reef
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Devil’s Canyon
Monument Valley
Mesa Verde
Durango
Santa Fe
Petrified Forest

Anyone live on our route and want to meet up?

NSX will be in garage in Atlanta, so will miss good drives.:rolleyes:

Thanks! Bill

Suggest at least a day in Capitol Reef, and a walk through the 'river.' The park is a long way from anywhere and is likely to be uncrowded -- a relief when doing this kind of trip.

Thirty +/- years ago I took a bunch of Aspen Community School kids to Capitol Reef and Lake Powell (they called it Lake Bowel.) They still talk about walking in the river in Capitol Reef.

There is a wonderful campground there (in an orchard) and just outside the park is a restaurant with an award winning wine list!

Have a great trip

Things to look for:

Don't return to LV from UT on a weekend the Las Vegas Speedway is having a big event.
Check the Las Vegas Review-Journal for the Best List for things to do, see and eat.
In AZ and UT watch your speed. CA and NV are normal in speed controls.
Carry extra water while traveling in the desert.
The Las Vegas NSX club may have a meeting while you are here. We would like to have you join us at that time.

Lance

NSXalot, thanks for the reply. I think our dates are fixed now as noted, so will have to check on race timing. I didn't think about the race, but think we will only be in LV on May 12 and 28th. We are not visiting UT or CA, just the states noted in OP. I would love to meet the LV members! Only spend first afternoon in LV -- want to show the kids the kid-sites on the strip...dancing fountains, fire water, ships fighting, Venician city, etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't have any suggestions on a route, but I really enjoyed Meteor Crator in Arizona. I believe it was about an hour from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you were a fan of big a hole made by a falling object...=)

Levi

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I don't have any suggestions on a route, but I really enjoyed Meteor Crator in Arizona. I believe it was about an hour from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you were a fan of big a hole made by a falling object...=)

Levi
Absotively! Good input!

If your son is Papageorgio,
668315409_m.jpg
then, you should expect to drive home a Hummer and a Viper. :cool:

Things to look for:

Don't return to LV from UT on a weekend the Las Vegas Speedway is having a big event.
Check the Las Vegas Review-Journal for the Best List for things to do, see and eat.
In AZ and UT watch your speed. CA and NV are normal in speed controls.
Carry extra water while traveling in the desert.
The Las Vegas NSX club may have a meeting while you are here. We would like to have you join us at that time.

Lance
When is this Las Vegas meet? We'll be in LV on May 12...

Back