• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Navigation question

Hi all

I just did a search to see if this question has already been asked : doesn't appear to have been. I just bought a 2011 Honda CR-Z with Navigation. I love the Nav system in this car (similar to Civic/Fit I guess). It looks to be an exact double-din size & I started wondering if perhaps a used one of these would fit in the NSX? I wouldn't bother with the steering wheel controls nor voice activation, but I do like the 6 CD changer & intuitive Nav functions (when I bought this car I was able to figure out the Navigation completely without even looking at owner's manual. On my BMW 335cxi, I still haven't figured out the iDrive completely after 8 months & many looks at the owner's manual...)

Regardless, has anyone considered or tried doing this swap? I know several of you did very nice swaps of a TL Nav system into their NSX, though I'm not interested in redoing the wiring harness nor cutting up my console (I bought a blank console from Dali & a CF overlay from SoS to make it look nice-nice). There are several of these used Nav systems for sale on eBay that would fit the bill nicely.

Just thought I'd put this out there to see if any of you with alot more stereo skills then myself could chime in.

Thanks

sure we have, we have thought and done it all

Lithumus started all this. I did a 05 TL navi HFL ( handsfree ) bluetooth

post what the radio looks like and we can tell you

heres a link to a few

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1358877

and

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99583

the only real problem is the color of the words and letters on other radios as they would not match the NSX's amber color.
the RDX is amber I think, and I know the 07-08 TL type s is amber color, but other honda's etc I dont know till someone post it.

your whole car would be amber but the the center would be green or blue its wouldnt match really. I dont know

Last edited:
Here is the unit in the CR-Z looks like an easy fit compared to the other swaps I have seen.

Could you post a picture of what buttons look like at night....that is essentially what I would be concerned with is all amber in the car, vs green or blue for the stereo....that being said, I like the overall styling, a closer match than an aftermarket Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine.

I didn't have success in locating one on ebay?....do you have a link...

Thanks very much

now that looks good. I wonder what color the letters are when teh lights are on. I wanna say white. looks that way.

now white can be taken apart and you can paint on a light orange paint thin coat and that would change the color to amber. nice find. I might look into it. good job.

BrooklynZson I like that one to.

but I think the OP was looking to stick with "made by honda" lol

BrooklynZson I like that one to.

but I think the OP was looking to stick with "made by honda" lol

Yaw, I was looking more for Honda product (though I have nothing against Pioneer/Kenwood...). I just put a Clarion into my putt putt (old MX6 that I've had for 22yrs since undergrad that I still drive once in awhile) but didn't find the interface anywhere near as nice as the stock Honda. I also don't think the switchgear is cheap at all : the NSX gear doesn't hold up anywhere near as well some (mine's a '97)

I think my CR-Z Nav glows a whitish color w/slight blue tint at night : I personally don't mind the amber/white/green color scheme as long as it's something that I'd actually use. My opinion was that most of the aftermarket nav systems are unnecessarily complex & don't work as well as OEM (which is why I brought this up). I actually read up on the other TL installs which is what got me thinkin' since I didn't want to go with another aftermarket if not needed

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably order a used one & give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always use it as a paperweight

yeah but what you need to understand is the its not just buy the head unit and plug it in. you will need to run a wire from the speed sensor pulse from the ecu then to the nav unit. then the red+ red -,blue+ blue- Green+ green-, acc, power, remote turn-on, remote Monitor turn on, a total of 3 sources of power for the navi,DVD unit, Display, data link, F-con+ Fcon-, R-con + Rcon- not to mention all the wires from the DVD unit into the Monitor, then you need to jumper all the options your not going to use like HFL, Bluetooth,voice etc. etc, trust me there are more wires that need to be connected then you need to run wires for the GPS antenna, XM radio antenna, if you use this option,

to make the harness for my NSX it took me a week or so. flipping from page to page from an NSX service manual and an 05 TL service manual, comparing wires schmatics and solving issues nessesary to make it work and I consider myself a Pro when it comes to electronics. and solidering everything together, it was a nightmare testing it inside as you need open sky to find Satelites, and if you found one it would lose signal lol the navi will not work inless they have 5-6 satelites locked in.

if I were you I would get the service manual for the Honda your going to do this with and an NSX service manual and compare the wireing to each other and then if you think you can do it go and buy the parts nes for the install.

you will need. the pig tails for ALL the connections. I mean you need to cut the harness yourself from the donor car. so atleast 3-4 inches.
then
DVD unit with Nav CD
display,
GPS antenna,
and if you want the voice ot HFL or XM
you will need the HFL control box with the built in mic.
the HFL controls off the steering wheel.
the Navi voice controls off the steering wheel
the XM antenna,
and tons of extra wire to cut up and make to length for your application

keep us posted and good luck

yeah but what you need to understand is the its not just buy the head unit and plug it in. you will need to run a wire from the speed sensor pulse from the ecu then to the nav unit. then the red+ red -,blue+ blue- Green+ green-, acc, power, remote turn-on, remote Monitor turn on, a total of 3 sources of power for the navi,DVD unit, Display, data link, F-con+ Fcon-, R-con + Rcon- not to mention all the wires from the DVD unit into the Monitor, then you need to jumper all the options your not going to use like HFL, Bluetooth,voice etc. etc, trust me there are more wires that need to be connected then you need to run wires for the GPS antenna, XM radio antenna, if you use this option,

to make the harness for my NSX it took me a week or so. flipping from page to page from an NSX service manual and an 05 TL service manual, comparing wires schmatics and solving issues nessesary to make it work and I consider myself a Pro when it comes to electronics. and solidering everything together, it was a nightmare testing it inside as you need open sky to find Satelites, and if you found one it would lose signal lol the navi will not work inless they have 5-6 satelites locked in.

if I were you I would get the service manual for the Honda your going to do this with and an NSX service manual and compare the wireing to each other and then if you think you can do it go and buy the parts nes for the install.

you will need. the pig tails for ALL the connections. I mean you need to cut the harness yourself from the donor car. so atleast 3-4 inches.
then
DVD unit with Nav CD
display,
GPS antenna,
and if you want the voice ot HFL or XM
you will need the HFL control box with the built in mic.
the HFL controls off the steering wheel.
the Navi voice controls off the steering wheel
the XM antenna,
and tons of extra wire to cut up and make to length for your application

keep us posted and good luck

Thanks Shawn

I'm only looking at units that have the plugs w/a pigtail of wiring present so that isn't a problem. As mentioned, not interested in voice capability nor steering wheel control. Most units have Nav antenna included. I intend on taking the plugs from CR-Z unit & wiring them to the NSX wiring (I'll use aftermarket plugs so I don't have to cut stock wiring) to see. Only part that may be a bear is the speed sensor wire so I'll use my trusty 1997 electrical/wiring manual to try to locate. If I proceed I'll let folks know how it goes

Okay, made the leap & ordered a Civic Navigation unit w/all of the pigtails intact. Hopefully the wiring schemes won't be too different. I'll probably look into having Lynnwood Acura's crew take a crack at it (my old back doesn't hold up to the contortions required to get into the dash in the NSX anymore...). If/when I get it installed & functional I'll try to give an update.

goodluck, but I can tell you that a dealership will just tell you they will look at it. and in the end tell you they cant do it. any custom work is off limits to a dealership, cuz if it doenst work they have to flip the bill.

now if you know a custom shop that might take on the task that would be a better route.

Last edited:
Off topic, sorta. How is the fuel efficiency in that crz. Is it sporty? Stick or auto? I have a civic hybrid and although it's great on gas(moneysaver) I hate how it lags to accelerate

Off topic, sorta. How is the fuel efficiency in that crz. Is it sporty? Stick or auto? I have a civic hybrid and although it's great on gas(moneysaver) I hate how it lags to accelerate

I was pleasantly surprised by the CR-Z. I test drove a CVT - a dog, plain & simple. BUT, the manual isn't half-bad. The electric motor is set up to act like an electric supercharger (a bit) - you are never on full-electric like the Prius (P.O.S. in my opinion) so the mileage is lower. But the mileage is still stellar. After 2 tanks with only 800 miles on car (still not broken in) I am averaging 37mpg mixed with almost all city driving. My best average trip was 44mpg on highway that involves several long hills, my lowest has been 34mpg trip to work in Sport mode where I didn't look at fuel meter at all & drove like a maniac.

Handling is great, very short wheelbase so it turns in nicely. Great stereo, easy to use Nav, a phenomenal shifter (better then my NSX) that you will use often to eke out mpgs & because it is a joy to shift. This engine has a 6500 rpm yet loves to lug around town - the upshift light prompts you into 6th gear at 32mph (!!) w/o lugging. I pulled several long (2 mile) hills in 6th gear last weekend at 65mph w/o losing any speed.

As you can tell I have started to like the "putt putt" as I call it. Since purchasing I have only driven my BMW 1 time (in a month) & have even though of putting it up for sale.

Hope that helps. Only downsides - no sunroof, no homelink on mirror, armrest is dealer installed & not the best design, I don't like stop/start at most traffic lights (doesn't always occur), & ECO mode is too much of a dog (attenuates throttle map SO much that you have to really slip the clutch to get it started - doesn't improve mileage either)

Oh, and the CR-Z does not lag. I've seen a road test that puts the 1/4 mile time for 6spd at 16.4, the Civic hybrid is 18.2 (huge butt-of-pants difference). There is no lag in the CR-Z in Normal/Sport, somewhat in ECO (which I never use except on absolute flat freeway). In fact in Sport, the CR-Z will lay rubber for a block (not that I'd tried :rolleyes:)

goodluck, but I can tell you that a dealership will just tell you they will look at it. and in the end tell you they cant do it. any custom work is off limits to a dealership, cuz if it doenst work they have to flip the bill.

now if you know a custom shop that might take on the task that would be a better route.

That's a pretty general and ignorant statement that does not apply to all dealers service departments including mine. :rolleyes:

so your Stealership is one in a million huh.

so 99% of dealerships will not do any custom work.

now adding headers or a new exhaust that kind of stuff yeah.

but having them custom fab a wire harness from another car into your car is a BIG NO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, my civic has 150k on it so looking to upgrade anyway

That's a pretty general and ignorant statement that does not apply to all dealers service departments including mine. :rolleyes:

I don't know about most dealerships, but Charles at Lynnwood Acura did a great job of coordinating multiple issues on my newly purchased CTSC last summer. It is an occasional driver so I had no problem leaving it with his crew & then flew back to pick it up when the work was done. I was pretty happy with the overall experience & have nothing but nice things to say about their dealership. I'd recommend Lynnwood Acura to anybody (I even drove 300 miles to have my servicing done there)

As for custom wiring harness, not sure how much of that is necessary. My NAV unit that I bought on eBay has the plugs intact with plenty of pigtail. I'll buy the factory system - aftermarket headunit plug & then it should be pretty straightforward except for locating the speedsensor wire (hopefully). I can appreciate Shawn's thoughts as he did a bangup job on integrating a TL NAV into his own car, though I'd never want to go all-out like he did...

Thanks for chiming in Charles & I'll be in touch once Snoqualmie Pass clears up

Back