• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need a new clutch and where to do it?

I have a 97 with about 50K miles, clutch is noticably slipping upon hard acceleration. I have researched previous posts and have almost settled on the RPS clutch and flywheel. I have also researched repair facilities and have found a few .... Mainstreet Autoworks in Monroe, Hong's Garage in Seattle, Gregs Japanese Auto in Seattle, Lynwood Acura and Adrenaline Racing in Portland. While I live in the South Puget Sound I don't mind traveling to get the best service. Any advice/oppinions on any of these or any other shops and choice of clutch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MarxNSX said:
I have a 97 with about 50K miles, clutch is noticably slipping upon hard acceleration. I have researched previous posts and have almost settled on the RPS clutch and flywheel. I have also researched repair facilities and have found a few .... Mainstreet Autoworks in Monroe, Hong's Garage in Seattle, Gregs Japanese Auto in Seattle, Lynwood Acura and Adrenaline Racing in Portland. While I live in the South Puget Sound I don't mind traveling to get the best service. Any advice/oppinions on any of these or any other shops and choice of clutch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't have any first hand experience with Greg's or Hongs...

John at Lynnwood Acura and Tony at Mainstreet are both great, Eddie at AR or Morgan down there towards Portland would both do a first rate job. I'm sure Eddie could work in a deal on the clutch too. You might also consider John Z (PM ZahnTech here on prime). Likely their costs are all relatively about in the same range for a labor only clutch install.

Or, if you are really nickle and diming it and want to keep costs down and can make a really compelling argument I'd be happy to assist on a DIY, I've gotten progressively quicker at them- but it's always just a real PITA putting the case back on and usually makes the $500-$600 seem like a good deal by the time your done.

L5-S1NSX said:
Greetings ,

I would take it to Acura of Lynnwood and have John put her in !!
He does outstanding work !!

Happy Motoring

DO NOT let anyone BUT Jon at Acura of Lynnwood touch your AFTERMARKET CLUTCH. The last time I had my ACT clutch installed at A o L, one of the techs there SAID that he had installed numerous clutches... but yet he messed up my clutch (results of clutch failure after 4K miles) and that's after Jon fixed the problem (oh, btw they charged me twice on labor).

John at Zahntech does a fine job especially NSXs.
Just had my headers installed there and he sure went out of his way to please his customers.

I just had my Shocks done by John at Zahntech. Amazing!

A++ work, hes got me bussiness from now on.

~Vu

I have an rps clutch and it is awesome. Just make sure you baby it for 5-600 miles and you will be fine. The clutch is stiff at forst but it eased up after a little while.

Back