• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice on a 1998 NSX - is this price too high ? JH4NA2167WT000164

Need advice on a 1998 NSX - is this price too high ?

Hello everyone, I found this very nice 1998 NSX for sale with around 36k miles (it is a manual) ... the price is around $49k (very firm) While I think condition wise the car looks great and the owner said it has no paintwork I think the price might be too much for the year. Please let me know what you think ? Thank you for any advice you can offer, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Pricing is a very challenging question to answer as it depends not only on the condition of the car, but the mindset of the seller. For the higher volume years, the pricing is often a little easier as there are lots of cars to choose from and sellers have to face the reality that if they want someone to buy their car, they need to put it at a market price. For the lower volume years, and especially ones with relatively low miles (which 36k is), buyers sometimes have to face the reality that if they want THAT car they have to pay THAT price as you may not find another one on the market any time soon.

So you can worry about trying to get a "good deal", or you can just spend the money if you want the car. As long as you resolve the maintenance/mechanical issues - a low mileage, 1997+ NSX is always a "good deal" in terms of what the car will provide you in enjoyment. Could you talk the guy down a few thousand from $49k? Dunno. Do you want to let a few thousand stand between you and the car you want? I don't know the answer to that either - but perhaps you do.

- - - Updated - - -

edit: if you want ballpark numbers, this is a pretty good guide: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

Last edited:
blue_myriddn, Great answer to a very common question.

My experience has been, negotiate what you can, but it may just be as simple as how bad do you want the car and how bad does the seller want to sell the car. Where those two meet is were the deal gets done.

Hagerty has the price at $49,900 for a #2 condition car which I would guess this car would rate at least that high seeing how it is a 36k mile car.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=862397

It comes down to if this is the car you want, are you willing to wait for another one to save a few thousand. If everything checks out it seems like it is at least in the ball park of what it should be worth.

personally i would pay maybe 46k, if it was pristine, but as others have said, where the buyer & seller meet is the value of that car for that transaction.

for reference, a pristine 32k mile 1999 black black just sold for $43k here in pittsburgh, including a brand new timing belt/water pump.

Last edited:
personally i would pay maybe 46k, if it was pristine, but as others have said, where the buyer & seller meet is the value of that car for that transaction.

for reference, a pristine 32k mile 1999 black black just sold for $43k here in pittsburgh, including a brand new timing belt/water pump.

This is very close what I was thinking ... I thought $45k is the right number plus I need to spend another 1600 on the timing belt/water pump ...

Basically between the car and the maintenance I am paying $50k ... Maybe I am wrong but I think I would be able to get a newer model year.

Thank you for all of the other replies as well.

This is very close what I was thinking ... I thought $45k is the right number plus I need to spend another 1600 on the timing belt/water pump ...

Basically between the car and the maintenance I am paying $50k ... Maybe I am wrong but I think I would be able to get a newer model year.

Thank you for all of the other replies as well.

your final price paid should be his asking price minus the cost of the timing belt.

I personally think the asking price is fair. You probably don't want to miss the car over a $3k difference of opinion. Work with the seller.

Every used car is different (condition,maintenance history,title history,OEM paint?, accidents,etc.) so there's no direct comparison in price. Find a example you want and negotiate a fair price and buy it and call it a day. If you fish around for low $ your dream car may slip through your hand. My .02 cents

Every used car is different (condition,maintenance history,title history,OEM paint?, accidents,etc.) so there's no direct comparison in price. Find a example you want and negotiate a fair price and buy it and call it a day. If you fish around for low $ your dream car may slip through your hand. My .02 cents

This is a great advice, that car will not last long

This is a great advice, that car will not last long

What's another few $1,000? If OP really wants the car he should step up to the plate and buy it. If this car has all OEM paint and service up to date, a fair price for dealer and buyer should be somewhere around $46-$47k max. With defer maintenance i think the right buy figure for OP is $44,xxx and if he wants it bad enough- offer dealer $47k.

Back