• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice on tranny

I just purchased a 92 NSX with 53k miles in excellent condition. I then found this website and soon discovered this snapring issue. Sure enough, my trans is in the range #J4AJ-1005110. Dosn't seem to have any problems. Should I spend the $$$ and get a new trans or just hope for the best???

Chad

Hi Chad,

In case you're not aware, Mark Basch is the top NSX mechanic in the country - and fortunately for you, he's right in your neighborhood (602-244-8010).

He has posted his advice about what to do with a snap ring transmission, and it is copied to a topic in NSXprime - click here.

Briefly, this is a summary of his advice:

1. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of an actual failure of the snap ring (the gear shift knob will feel loose, etc).

2. If you experience those symptoms, then don't keep driving on it. Take it in to get fixed, and you will probably only have to replace the snap ring and transmission case, not the whole transmission.

3. If you don't experience those symptoms, you can either (a) have those two parts replaced anyway, for a parts cost around $700 and labor cost around $1000, or (b) wait until you need transmission work anyway (e.g. clutch replacement) and have the parts replaced at that time, so you save the labor cost by not doing it just to do the snap ring fix.

Welcome to NSX Prime, Chad! There are quite a few friendly local NSX owners that hang out here. Do you ever make it out to Scottsdale Pavilions on Saturdays?

Congratulations on the purchase of your car, please post some pics!

smile.gif

I am a new NSX owner and I see that you all get together once and a while at the pavillions. When is the next meet? Is there anyone else here in the Chandler area?
Chad

Yes, there are lots of NSX owners in the east valley. MYNSX, AznSXgirl, Syonara, and Chris W are all in Chandler, and Honda4Life is in Mesa. NSXlent and myself are "westsiders"

P.S., the meetings have been more or less impromto so far. Whoever feels like showing up usually posts a message on here a few days before to inform everyone else. This Thursday I think there's an event at the Firebird raceway.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 04 December 2002).]

Back