• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice on transporting..

I am looking at possibly transporting my NSX from CA to WI. The drive is 2093 miles and I will be TOWING the NSX on a flatbed with my truck. So, a couple of questions...

1. What type of trailer should I use? Can I find one with an enclosed front? or at least maybe a wall/partition to protect the car?

2. What kind of precautions can I take to protect the car from debris? (my truck does not have mud flaps, and with the large tires I am concerned it will kick rocks up at the car)

3. What kind of precautions should I take to protect it from the elements (this will be in Dec. most likely, through HEAVY snow and EXTREME cold)? This car has never seen snow or temps below 50 degrees.

Rocks010.jpg

I don't think the cold will have any affect. When I bought mine in Cali. and had it shipped to Tex. I was mostly worried about Hail. {I've heard bad stories} so inclosed it was. Even a good car cover won't prevent hail damage.

If you must tow the car on a flat trailer, obviously don't use a cover. Just wax the hell out of it, and tape the whole dang front end. Personally, I say buy/borrow/rent (if you can) an enclosed trailer. We picked up a used but really nice 21' enclosed trailer for $4000. You always temporarily modify a flat trailer too, and bolt in a shield.

Oh and buy/steal/pick up off the road, a set of semi truck mud flaps and install them on your truck for the trip. That'll help out alot. Bolt the mud flap to a piece of angle iron at the top, then bolt the angle iron to your stock mud flap brackets. I'd safety wire the angle iron and mud flap to the bracket too, just incase it decides to come off to prevent semi truck mud flap from smacking into your car if it lets go (just extra being anal prevention)

For ALOT less horribly sanded and snowy road, avoid going through the rocky mountains. I've done that drive several times and lived in colorado for a few years. It's just extra rocks and dirt on the road ALL the time, snow or not.

Put some white vinyl automotive transport wrap on it just like the manufacturers use when they deliver new cars to dealerships. It comes off real clean, leaving no residue, resists edgelift at high speeds, etc. You could wrap the whole car if you wanted (I've done it and I know 2 other guys who have done it as well). If you decide to go open transport and need a source for the wrap, let me know and I can get you some.

Assuming you are going to be buying a trailer and don't already have one, why not just buy an enclosed one? You can then sell it when you get out to Wisconsin and you'll only be out the depreciation on the trailer (which should be very minor).

That truck is so sick. Can you rent an enclosed trailer?

I think I would leave it to a professional and have it shipped. That way you don't even have to drive at all.

Bob,
Is this just a one-way transport? Why not just let a transport company take care of it. I just transported a newly purchased NSX from NY to CA on a enclosed trailer and it cost me $1500. It went very smooth. Pm me if you want the info to the company.

Back