• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice, S2K or NSX???

rob

Registered Member
I had sold my S2000 a few months ago because I needed some funds to buy another house. I will be in the market for a new car in a couple of months and am considering buying the S2000 again or going with a 91-92 NSX.

This topic may have been covered before but I would like to have any input on people who have made the switch from an S2000 to an NSX and what they like and dislike. Also anyone who owned both or has both please comment.

Your advice is greatly appreciated as I am confused on which route to go as of now.

Rob, good question.
I bought a 94 NSX about 18 months ago and drove it for a few thousand miles and due to additions to the family ended up selling it. I missed it greatly and wanted another 'fun' car. The 2004 S2k was getting great reviews, it had increased performance and some other improvements and it is after all a Honda and very closely related to the NSX so I bought a new 2004. I drove it for a few months and found it to be a great fun roadster with plenty of power and excellent quality throughout. It was however, not a replacement for the exotic NSX. The NSX is a different category of a car. Just looking at it as it stands in your garage or after you park it somewhere and look back at it or approach it from any angle, you feel an elation that is difficult to describe. It is a reliable, powerful, low, handsome everyday EXOTIC built by Honda.

So I sold the S2000 a few months ago and found another 94 NSX and am very happy with the decision. Find a relatively low mileage NSX with a good maintenance record. Remember however, that maintenance on an older NSX for required items and items that finally need changing etc. can be relatively expensive and so figure that into the equation as well.

Good luck hunting :)

I think the only gripe I've had with my NSX is that it has a very stiff ride. Much more so than my sister's C5. I know folks say that this car can be a daily driver, but after driving for 1.5 hours, I find that I really need to get out and stretch. For short trips its not a problem. Personally, I would not recommend this car for daily use unless your on excellent well maintained roads. Even on slightly rough roads, your going to feel every bump.

Thats about it. Its been very reliable and the V6 is very smooth with good low end torque.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Two totally different cars though. I think cost is one huge factor. the cost of the cars themselves might be about the same, but work, maintenance, etc. will be much higher on the NSX. Both communities of owners is 2nd to none if you ask me, but at the same time you will find more s2000 owners to have meets with and stuff like that, but on the other hand smaller owner groups comes with the rarity of the NSX. Seeing 20+ S2000's at the same time is pretty awe-inspiring, but so is a group of 4-5 NSX's!

Check you pocket book. If you can afford the upkeep and modifications (if you plan to) of an NSX, there is no question to what you should get. You don't have an open air option on the 91-92 NSX though.

Good luck in the choice.
Tom

I appreciate the opinions. I definetely loved the option of the S2000 being convertible but found myself not using the option too often. The maintainance issue is fine for me. I just try to justify buying a car 10 years older for the same cost. I know the NSX is an amazing car and that is why it is on my list of the two cars to buy. Do you feel the age of the car?

wctsao said:
I think the only gripe I've had with my NSX is that it has a very stiff ride. Much more so than my sister's C5. I know folks say that this car can be a daily driver, but after driving for 1.5 hours, I find that I really need to get out and stretch. For short trips its not a problem. Personally, I would not recommend this car for daily use unless your on excellent well maintained roads. Even on slightly rough roads, your going to feel every bump.

Thats about it. Its been very reliable and the V6 is very smooth with good low end torque.
A friend that owns a S2000 drove my NSX and said how mucher smoother the NSX rides than his car. To me, they felt the same. However, I found the S2000 interior to be very cramped. I'm 6' tall and do sit pretty far back, but I could not get the seat back far enough in the S2000 to get completely comfortable.

I also use my NSX to commute daily an hour each way and find it very comfortable.

rob said:
Do you feel the age of the car?

My car is 10 years old. It is tight as a drum.

In his book, "S2000", Daniel Carney gives a great deal of interesting information about the S2K and the NSX as well.http://www.100megsfree4.com/corvette/book/honda/S2000.htm
You may want to read it as it talks about the NSX as well. He states in the book that the S2000 is a convertible and as such it cannot compare with the NSX or even the Honda Accord in torsional rigidity (twisting, as in wringing out a wet towel) but to make the chassis as stiff as possible Honda gave the S2K incredible bending rigidity (breaking a pencil into two pieces). That is why the S2k feels very rigid compared to ordinary cars but on rough or broken pavement it does not feel as rigid as the NSX.

I bought mine months ago and never looked back.
Flew in to buy it and in one hour I was on my way back on a 10 hour drive.
No problems with fit or comfort. Its a very good seating position. I am 43 years old, cranky, overweight, 230 lbs, and 5' 11.5"
I drive my car everyday since my concorde is not insured until the real snow falls. I even drove it down the sidewalk at the wild west saloon the other nite to get a good parking spot on the grass.
I have meet two couples who have the s2000. After sitting in my car they wish they spent their money a little wiser.
Two nice cars but one is an exotic and boy did they smile when they sat behind the wheel.
Our roads in Edmonton are terrible. I have a totally stock car with v-rated all seasons up front so the bumps and what not are there but gumpy old me is not complaining. I hate sunroofs, t's and convertibles because im an old sensitive crabie guy.
Just my thoughts at this second.
Each to their own.
Good luck!
Trev

i have driven both, though the NSX I drove was a '97. So my S felt really weak compared to it :) The suspension felt just fine to me, and both cars were dropped.

Buy a car that is 10 years old is something to be weary of. talk to the owner of the car, hopefully they are the only other owner of the car. If you feel they have taken care of it well, then there you go.

I'd say that since you've owned an S2000 before, why not get an NSX? A 10-year old NSX should depreciate at a much slower rate than a new S2000, so if you found the NSX wasn't the right "fit" for you, you could always go back to the S2000 without losing too much.

After owning my S2000 for the last 18 months, I think I'll be looking to get an NSX in the future, not because I'm unsatisfied or disappointed with my S, but because I'd simply like to have something different.

Good luck.

ffffanman,
Did you buy your car in Canada or the states?
I am in Toronto and am considering purchasing a car from the states but am not sure of the complications to transfer the car to Canadian standards.

Just curious because you said you had a 10 hour drive.

I feel I do have more of a pull to go with the NSX because it has been sort of a dream car when I was younger and does have an exotic feel to it. I know every person I have spoken to that owns one loves the car and really has no complaints. Whereas with the S2000, most owners are dissappointed with the power and the lack of space. I being an ex owner of the S2000 did feel the car needed more power down low. The car was very quick but doesn't feel quick when accelerating because of the lack of torque.

I haven't been in an NSX for a couple of years now so maybe a test drive is in order. I also agree with buying the right NSX, meaning it must have a good history so as I am not in a rush I will start my search.

Thank you guys for all the advice.

I drove my friend's S2K and i was amazed how solid and how great the car handled.So I wanted to get a new S2K a few years back when the S2K was first coming out.. The salesmen didn't think I was serious and asked me to put a $1500 CND non refundable deposit on it for a test a drive.

I had a deal pending on a NSX at that time too. Needless to say after my experience with the Honda dealership. I quickly got a certified cheque and flew out to buy the NSX.

I have never looked back since and I don't even consider buying a S2k anymore. But I still have great respect for what the S2K is.

with the S2K you do get warranty, some newer looks and convertible (vs an older NSX) but it's all what you want from a car though..

my whopping $0.02

i have both, and i just love them both!! true, the nsx is way faster, handle great, and awesome looking! but the s2k feels like a go kart to me, which is very fun and additive!! the draw back with the nsx is, i don't feel comfortable driving the car to movie or shopping mall! i will worry too much! :( but i feel good driving the s2k everywhere i go! even my s2k still gets lots of attention!! and everything is cheaper with the s2k!
is a tough call!!

Do you think a 91 NSX with 66000miles is too high if all maintainance is up to date.

I have interest in this, it's black on black. The price is $29500US.

To the orginal poster, I was in the same boat a few years ago. Drive them both, I think that will make up your mind for you. It sure did for me!

Rob, If you need advise on getting an NSX from the US....email me.

I just got my NSX from the US...the selection is WAY better.

Bram

rob said:
ffffanman,
Did you buy your car in Canada or the states?
I am in Toronto and am considering purchasing a car from the states but am not sure of the complications to transfer the car to Canadian standards.

Just curious because you said you had a 10 hour drive.

I feel I do have more of a pull to go with the NSX because it has been sort of a dream car when I was younger and does have an exotic feel to it. I know every person I have spoken to that owns one loves the car and really has no complaints. Whereas with the S2000, most owners are dissappointed with the power and the lack of space. I being an ex owner of the S2000 did feel the car needed more power down low. The car was very quick but doesn't feel quick when accelerating because of the lack of torque.

I haven't been in an NSX for a couple of years now so maybe a test drive is in order. I also agree with buying the right NSX, meaning it must have a good history so as I am not in a rush I will start my search.

Thank you guys for all the advice.

Bram, I emailed you.

It's funny, I read up on the posts in the S2K forum and of course all the S2K owners stick by there cars and wouldn't advise to choose an NSX over the S2K. On this forum it is the opposite. I guess the forums are biased. I will however, test drive the NSX because I don't recall how they drove and I will make my decision based on the test drive.

I have also been receiving a lot of recommendations to go with an 02-up Z06. I was always against purchasing a domestic car due to quality and depreciation issues but after reading up on this car, it is quite impressive.

Any opinions on the Z06? Has anyone driven one for a good comparison?

Thanks.

rob said:
I have also been receiving a lot of recommendations to go with an 02-up Z06. I was always against purchasing a domestic car due to quality and depreciation issues but after reading up on this car, it is quite impressive.

Any opinions on the Z06? Has anyone driven one for a good comparison?

Thanks.

I have a lot of seat time in the Z06 Corvette, as well as the C5 coupe. The Z06 is a real hoot to drive -- excellent power, gobs of torque, good handling (with the proper tires -- !!! ), and smooth looks.

However ~ depreciation IS always a major concern with any GM product. You can pick up a nice, low-miles 02-03 Z06 in the low-$30K range now. It remains to be seen how the birth of the C6 will affect latter-year C5 value in the next 18 months.

The Z06 has the typical C5 Corvette problems -- shoddy interior fit & finish, uncomfortable and quick-to-wear seats (that also rock on occasion), and several mechanical nuances that include failing fuel sending units, column lock troubles, and leaky rear differential seals.

Bang for the buck, it's an excellent car -- but I wouldn't buy one without an extended warranty. And if seeing the car you drive on every streetcorner bothers you, go with the NSX -- they are so much rarer. It seems as if I see about 20 C5s every day here in California, and about 20% are Z06 models.

Good luck -- hope this helps.

I've owned both an S2000 and 2 NSX's. If you're deciding which to buy I can tell you that I had an NSX before the S2k and I still own an NSX but not the S2K. It's a very fun car to drive for up to about 1/2 hour but after that the poor visibility (with top up), loud interior noise and harsh ride get tiresome. If you just want a fun car for an occasional cruise then the S2k is great, but as an everyday driver it gets old fast. I can also say I had more problems with my S2000 than any other car I've ever owned including rattling clutch, window regulator failed 3 times, fuel gauge failed 3 times (the last time the dealer refused to fix it and told me it was normal for it to be innaccurate, sometimes by as much as 1/2 tank), self-loosening rear axle nuts, bad top-latches and others). I also had the worst dealer service and treatment that with any other car I have ever owned. These things may make me a little biased. Just my opinion, no flames from other S2k owners please.

Before I got my NSX I found a good deal on a S2000. I took it for a drive and really liked it a lot. A week later I drove a NSX and within 2 minutes I said out loud "Why would I ever buy a S2000 when I could be driving this!". Bought a NSX 6 months later. Never looked at the S2000 again.

Back