• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need an opinion: black floor mats with tan interior

p1.jpg

That is ugly. Thankfully it's in a RHD car which means it's not likely to be in the USA.

+1 on the black. I did this with my Caramel interior color M5, it looks really great. Plus, you don't need to worry about every spec of dirt and thus you can have passengers in your car again. Go for the black

I installed the black mats in my ivory interior 91 and I love the look. It's a lot cleaner looking. The tan mats only look good right after they are cleaned and/or vacumed. As soon as you set foot into the car they are back to looking dirty. I did the same thing when I had a tan interior 95. It's too easy of a choice. Go with the black mats and don't look back. Enjoy the car.

I had an NSX in for work a while back that had tan interior, the owner wanted to do away with the carpets and mats so I used special carpet dye and transformed the car from this

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

Into this

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

+1 on the black. I did this with my Caramel interior color M5, it looks really great. Plus, you don't need to worry about every spec of dirt and thus you can have passengers in your car again. Go for the black

I did the exact same thing when I had that color combo. I only used the stock caramel mats for shows. Stick with black mats. Honda switched to doing factory black mats and black floors with their tan/ivory interior CR-V's.

Nope.

Bought my red / tan with black mats from PO. One of the first things that had to be "fixed".

Got matching tan mats from SoS. Best interior mod (after changing the PoS Pep Boys shift knob...)

Last edited:
FWIW, several years ago, I had a pair of custom coco mats made for my tan interior in my red '95. I stored my original tan mats and have no particular desire to put them in versus the coco mats. They fit perfect and have held up extremely well and do indeed look custom. I think they fit the persona of the NSX very well.

Just another option.

I had an NSX in for work a while back that had tan interior, the owner wanted to do away with the carpets and mats so I used special carpet dye and transformed the car to black carpet

That looks a lot better than I though it would... nice combo :smile:

I had an NSX in for work a while back that had tan interior, the owner wanted to do away with the carpets and mats so I used special carpet dye and transformed the car from this
DSC00178.jpg

this looks surprisingly better than the original.

For durability and wear, I like these honeycomb rubber mats (you can get them in different colors too).

Delrin_shifter.jpg

Nope. You may have one more NSX than me :)biggrin:) but I gotta have carpet. I enjoy driving distances without shoes and that honeycomb doesn't look inviting.

I'm Red/Tan and have 2 sets of Hrant mats, one tan with red piping and one black with red piping, I have a fair amount of CF too and the black seems to work well with that for daily use.

Like others, for special occasions the black mats come out and the lush tan mats go in.

I suppose that it depends on your level of commitment to anal retentiveness. Tan is incredible but not so much when it is soiled. All or nothing here.

I don't understand why car makers (mostly Japanese as I noticed) use light color floor mats. It looks nice when it's brand new in the show room, but once you step on it just a few times it starts to look UGLY and it's impossible to keep clean.

Only solution is to take your shoes off when driving, which I tried for a while, but later just decided to change them to black or all weather mats.

I don't understand why car makers (mostly Japanese as I noticed) use light color floor mats. It looks nice when it's brand new in the show room, but once you step on it just a few times it starts to look UGLY and it's impossible to keep clean.

Only solution is to take your shoes off when driving, which I tried for a while, but later just decided to change them to black or all weather mats.

I agree. I guess the Japanese (like most Asian cultures) are accustomed to taking their shoes off inside their homes and on carpets, so maybe that has something to do with it. Even though I do take my shoes off inside my house, I choose to install rubber floor mats in most of my cars because that's just too much hassle (plus there's no convenient place to store the shoes).

I agree. I guess the Japanese (like most Asian cultures) are accustomed to taking their shoes off inside their homes and on carpets, so maybe that has something to do with it. Even though I do take my shoes off inside my house, I choose to install rubber floor mats in most of my cars because that's just too much hassle (plus there's no convenient place to store the shoes).

Good point. However I haven't heard people in Japan or Asia taking their shoes off while driving. When I did that (in both brand new ivory (91) and tan (97) carpeted mats), I used to keep a grocery paper bag on the passenger side floor and basically taking my shoes off and place them inside the bag before I start the car. I know it's kind of funny but I just can't step on those brand new light colored mats.

Good point. However I haven't heard people in Japan or Asia taking their shoes off while driving. When I did that (in both brand new ivory (91) and tan (97) carpeted mats), I used to keep a grocery paper bag on the passenger side floor and basically taking my shoes off and place them inside the bag before I start the car. I know it's kind of funny but I just can't step on those brand new light colored mats.

Too funny! I'm glad to hear you are OCD as me about these things, and you are welcome in my car and home anytime. :D

I too love the look of the lighter color mats in the cars but they are very impractical....
Has anyone ever taken the time to protect their new mats (or properly clean old mats) and then spray them with a Scotchgard type product?

I am sure it wouldn't hurt and possibly might help.

Too funny! I'm glad to hear you are OCD as me about these things, and you are welcome in my car and home anytime. :D

Here's how things got evolved:

- When I bought my new 89 Accord I used to put white bath towels on top of the factory floor mats. But it's really ugly.

- When I bought my new 99 Prelude I learned to put a set of after market mats (from Walmart) on top of the factory mats. Looked better but still...

- When I bought my first NSX in 07 since the floor mats are in Ivory I drove with shoes off.

- When I bought my 07 RL I switched to factory rubber mats. Looked perfectly factory and nice :biggrin:

Here's how things got evolved:

- When I bought my new 89 Accord I used to put white bath towels on top of the factory floor mats. But it's really ugly.

- When I bought my new 99 Prelude I learned to put a set of after market mats (from Walmart) on top of the factory mats. Looked better but still...

- When I bought my first NSX in 07 since the floor mats are in Ivory I drove with shoes off.

- When I bought my 07 RL I switched to factory rubber mats. Looked perfectly factory and nice :biggrin:
Seems logical.
icon14.gif

damn i thought i was anal about my floor mats lol.
Do tell! :)

Back