• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need computer help-removing a file

While I was gone, someone signed on their AIM screen name and clicked a link that had some kind of virus of sorts on it. Now, every 30 seconds or so, instant messenger will pop up a window showing this away message "OMFG LOOK http://pics99.blogsite.org/friends.scr !!!!! " I've tried to locate the file and think I may have. However, it says it's in use or right protected. I've un-installed AIM in hopes of getting rid of this nuisance but it hasn't worked. Any ideas how I can get rid of this thing? It's extremely annoying and I don't want anyone else to get this on their computer. Thanks and take care.

Conor

ctnsupra1 said:
While I was gone, someone signed on their AIM screen name and clicked a link that had some kind of virus of sorts on it. Now, every 30 seconds or so, instant messenger will pop up a window showing this away message "OMFG LOOK http://pics99.blogsite.org/friends.scr !!!!! " I've tried to locate the file and think I may have. However, it says it's in use or right protected. I've un-installed AIM in hopes of getting rid of this nuisance but it hasn't worked. Any ideas how I can get rid of this thing? It's extremely annoying and I don't want anyone else to get this on their computer. Thanks and take care.

Conor

See if you can re-name it. Then right-click on it and change the properties so that it is not seen as a system or read-only file. Then try to delete it. If that doesn't work try re-booting in safe mode and deleting it.
You may also want to try one (or more) of the online virus scanners such as Trend Micro's Housecall (trendmicro.com) or AVG.
If none of this works post again and we'll try some other stuff.

Edit: take a look at this from Symantec - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/[email protected]

Are you sure it's an instant messenger window. Sounds like spyware that usually hijacks an explorer window. See if you can turn the program off by going to run menu> type msconfig> click start-up tab> then uncheck any foreign programs one at a time. Restart in between.

Also you can try spybot and ad-aware, both excellent spyware removal programs.

good luck

you can't delete the file because it's in use...you need to end the task using windows task manager, then quickly delete the file. You should also see if it's in your Run registry keys to prevent it from activating on startup

Just remember that viruses and stuff are still programs, so you can always get rid of them yourself you just need to know how programs are activated and cut them off at the source :)

Just to add something....

if you using an O/S that has a system restore option...
be sure to un check the system restore check box before trying to remove the file or running an anti virus program..

Click start, then run, then type regedit. This will open up a window and click on the edit tab, then find. Search the file in your registry to remove it, but after you search and delete, hit F3 to make sure it isn't in another place. Spybot and system restore should help too.

Back