• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Electrical Help

I've got an electrical short that keeps the brake lights on even when the key is off and drains the battery. I understand that a common NSX short is caused by a worn brake wire grommet. Can anyone guide me to the location in hopes of an easy fix. Thx

I've got an electrical short that keeps the brake lights on even when the key is off and drains the battery. I understand that a common NSX short is caused by a worn brake wire grommet. Can anyone guide me to the location in hopes of an easy fix. Thx

take a look at the brake wire near the driver's side trunk strut. I likes to fray around there. not sure if that would cause this exact issue though. I think that wire is actually only for the third brake light.

It would have to be something in the circuit related to the pedal switch right? If you had a short in the wires to the bulbs, it would blow a fuse when you step on the pedal but not maintain the lights at all time.

I had this same issue with my CRX. With that car (and likely the NSX as well) they drill a hole in the brake pedal and fill it with a plastic piece, presumably to quiet things down. When the plastic part breaks, the brake pedal no longer touches the switch even when the brakes aren't on, leaving the brake lights on all the time. I grabbed a nut and bolt and plugged the hole, problem solved.

Like jwmelvin said, a short to body would cause a fuse to blow. For this to happen you'd need a short that would bypass the brake pedal switch.

I vote for crxguy52's solution, or some similar problem with actuation of the switch or a failure in the switch itself causing it to stay in the closed position even when the pedal isn't pressed. The brake switch is on the +12v side of the circuit, so as noted by others, any short to ground would pop the fuse.

Kind of like the missing nub on the clutch interlock switch; but, in this case I think accessible with less #*@%$#@##***!

It sounds like another part that can easily be 3D printed for a few bucks. If Honda doesn't make them anymore, someone can send me their broken/deformed brake light stopper and I'll replicate it in CAD.

Back