• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need guidance on garage floor coatings

I think it's going to depend on what type if finish you're wanting as well. Acid is going to take upon characteristics of your already done floor. Meaning cracks, stains, and other things unless you sand down the floor slightly. It's a real rustic type of thing if you go with lighter colors stain. If you do a darker stain then it'll be more solid and hide imperfections. Almost like staining an old pine floor.

For cracks if you're looking to hide them I'd say the color epoxy or whatever else would be your best bet since it's colored and sinks in.

Typically when you cover something in a shiny gloss it doesn't help imperfections but magnifies them. But again having a rustic looking garage floor I think is a nice touch. You may not even need an epoxy coating. If you have a slight textured floor you can sand down, stain. And it'll look good.

If you're going to mess around with acid I'd test on some type of other concrete surface first though.

I think it's going to depend on what type if finish you're wanting as well. Acid is going to take upon characteristics of your already done floor. Meaning cracks, stains, and other things unless you sand down the floor slightly.

Thanks. Everything I've learned this week is suggesting that this is the route I'll try. Not concerned at all about imperfections & small cracks (character lines). A light sanding, acid etch stain, and some type of sealer may be the route. May test an area with the planned color.

Thanks. Everything I've learned this week is suggesting that this is the route I'll try. Not concerned at all about imperfections & small cracks (character lines). A light sanding, acid etch stain, and some type of sealer may be the route. May test an area with the planned color.

Just remember to try and do an even coat/saturation and you may want to research the type of application tool. I've only done small parts so have used random rags and such, but I know professional floor people in the wood world use different types of sheep wool or something like that for even application on floors. May be something else you'd want to look into.

Also I'm sure you know this but make sure to neutralize the floor after you're finished with the stain, and on a side note, it will appear darker until you neutralize and rinse off in my experience.

Also I'm sure you know this but make sure to neutralize the floor after you're finished with the stain, and on a side note, it will appear darker until you neutralize and rinse off in my experience.

I don't know this - complete noob to this DIY project. Any suggestions here or in PM's or recommended weblinks are very appreciated.

I'm liking the stain idea because I like the idea of adding less "stuff" onto the floor. Prep, stain, some seal, done. May also search on Angie's List or seek local referrals to have it professionally done in case the mere ~700 sq ft might come in at a cost where it's worth it to just let a pro do it correctly and quickly and give me a day to do other things!

Walking around Home Depot. Looked down to see smoothed concrete covered by floor wax. Completely get it. Couldn't make sense of it before in my head in the context of thinking about my garage's rough concrete floor. Now would just have to see if a common garage concrete floor could be similarly smoothed.
y2eqaha8.jpg

Last edited:
i posted the before and after in a sep thread, it's better suited here! Great input by all involved! now for some insulation, drywall, new work station,NSX pictures of course, and heat

Attachments

• garage floor.jpg
    garage floor.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
CJ - looks good. I'm waiting till warm weather before doing anything at my place, but - from this thread I know I will now be doing a simple DIY home depot type epoxy for my mechanical room that's behind the garage - hvac, h20 heater, W/D etc. I'm not sure I would have thought of that if not for this thread.

This seemed interesting too, just to share for Friday. TGIF

yjasy8u3.jpg

Back