• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help answering a question ca, smog related

Ok so im about to turbo my car and i have an issue although it wont be due for 2 years.
i searched the site and couldnt find the answer. So my question is say my car is turbo'd and tuned and smog season comes around, if i pull out my turbo setup and revert back to stock will the car still pass smog with the tuning for turbo? Or will my a/f mess with my sniffer test? Can someone shed some light on this? Its a dumb question but needs to be answered for me

If your car is tuned for forced induction, you're going to be dumping fuel without the turbocharger; you're going to fail smog unless you also revert back to factory injectors, exhaust, and the stock ECU map.

The use of a modified vehicle not in compliance with CARB regulations on the street is illegal in California, if this bothers you the CTSC will pass smog, and is legal to use.

If your concern is limited to getting your renewal stickers every two years, then realize the cost to grease the wheels of bureaucracy (pay to pass), is lower than the cost to R/R the entire system.

yea thanks for answering that for me thats exactly what i needed to know, i know a few shops in my area that will do the smog for me i just wasnt sure if i can just drop my turbo and still pass. like i dont mind putting stock injectors back on but if the tune will effect it then i guess illegal smog is only way i can go. thanks for the help

Pm me, I'm always looking to get more smog ppls in case one doesn't go through. Btw, do you live near San bernardino? I've seen a silver nsx out there a few times.

Back