• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Help! Car won't start after battery change!

I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions....
I had the original battery off of my '91 replaced today with an Optima battery. After the replacement, the car just wouldn't start. All of the lights and windows work as well as the warning lights on the dash, however, the ignition will not turn over. It's almost like trying to start the car without pushing in the clutch. Of note, the stereo and climate control will not turn on as well. Could this mean my computer if fried? Is there a certain fuse I might need to check? The guy that changed the battery claims everything went smooth...supposedly no mishaps.
The car does have an aftermarket alarm system but I put in on "valet" so I don't think to engine cut-off is engaged.
All of your suggestions are appreciated in advance.
Thanks,
Vivek

It should turn over even if the ecu is fried. With the stereo and climate control not working there is a possibility the battery was connected backwards "Bad news"

Looking at my electrical troubleshooting manual the starter solenoid is controlled by the security control unit which is solid state and could/would also be damaged by the battery being connected backwards. I would say is time to have a talk with the manager of the place that changed your battery and get your car to an Acura Dealer $$$$.

Last edited:
What model Optima did you get? Most Optimas have the "normal" polarity configuration & the nsx requires an "R" reverse configuration - the non-R optima will still work but requires to be installed backwards.

Problem solved!

Thanks for all your help!
It turns out that the battery was installed backwards initially which resulted in a blown fuse (120 amp in engine bay). $3 dollars later, I'm up and running again!
I hope this helps if anyone gets caught in a similar situation!

wait a second. how could anyone be so stupid as to install a battery backwards? or is there more to it than I've noticed in 20 years of changing my various vehicles' batteries?

peiserg said:
wait a second. how could anyone be so stupid as to install a battery backwards? or is there more to it than I've noticed in 20 years of changing my various vehicles' batteries?

It also looks like the guy who changed the battery lied about there being no mishaps. Can you imagine taking your running car in to a shop and having the shop return to you a non-running car after a simple battery change. I would have exploded on them after finding out that their mechanic KNEW he made a mistake and did not speak up.

Back