• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Help - Timing belt ???

hello everyone,

my 2004 nsx with (15000mile) is due for timing belt because of it age, emailed the dealer for quote. and this is their reply "I have priced this out for you and we would be looking at a total of $1406.44+TX installed. This price included a 10% discount on parts and labour. When we install a new timing belt we also install a new water pump, accessory belt, adjusters and coolant." That does include the tensioner (adjuster) for the timing belt. It does not include the tensioner for the main drive belt.
My QUESTION IS
1. Is timing belt adjusters = timing belt tensioner ?
2, Do i need to replace the tensioner for the main drive belt too?
3. Is there anything else i need to replace while doing the timing belt service?

Thank you guys

3. Is there anything else i need to replace while doing the timing belt service?
I recommend replacing the cooling system hoses - the two big ones at a minimum, if not all 22 of them. There are three reasons for doing so: (1) they can and do fail, and can leave you stranded (or worse, if you keep driving); (2) the interval for replacing the timing belt is suitably long for doing this; and (3) there are savings (in labor and coolant) in doing this at the same time as the water pump.

I'll leave the first two questions to those with more mechanical knowledge...

1400 bucks??? WOW I would JUMP on that.

I paid 2500 for that service, then I learned how to do it myself.

while you have them doing this work HAVE everything replaced

you def want the Timing belt tensioner done to.

timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump,
new valve covers gaskets,
spark plug gaskets,
Cam plugs,
A/C belt
Alternator Belt
the 3 coolant hoses under the expansion tank.

hello everyone,

my 2004 nsx with (15000mile) is due for timing belt because of it age, emailed the dealer for quote. and this is their reply "I have priced this out for you and we would be looking at a total of $1406.44+TX installed. This price included a 10% discount on parts and labour. When we install a new timing belt we also install a new water pump, accessory belt, adjusters and coolant." That does include the tensioner (adjuster) for the timing belt. It does not include the tensioner for the main drive belt.
My QUESTION IS
1. Is timing belt adjusters = timing belt tensioner ?
2, Do i need to replace the tensioner for the main drive belt too?

Thank you guys

1. Is already answered in your reply from the dealer: That does include the tensioner (adjuster) for the timing belt.

2. Tension on the main belt is set by adjusting the alternator, no tensioner there.

3. I would recomend having the crank pulley ( harmonic balancer) replaced as it can fail and really f... up your engine.

Remember guys this is a 15000 mile engine. Age really has no bearing on spark plugs, valve adjustment or the harmonic balancer.

It does not include the tensioner for the main drive belt.

I believe what they are referring to here is the tensioner for the a/c compressor belt. If your car is a 2004, there is no need to replace it yet. Usually what happens is the bearing on the pulley starts squealing and eventually fails. This happened to my car about two months ago but it is a 1991 so it was about time. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember guys this is a 15000 mile engine. Age really has no bearing on spark plugs, valve adjustment or the harmonic balancer.

I'm going to have to disagree with you that age has no bearing on the Harmonic Balancer. The HB breaks because the rubber connecting the 2 pieces of it together breaks down and separates. Both age and mileage affect this part. That said, 15K miles on a 2004 should not be a HB failure concern IMO.

Back