• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with 92 - Cassette trapped in Stock NSX Stereo

Help please,

I have a bluetooth cassette (no actual tape in it) which connects to your phone to play your Spotify thru your nsx stereo. Unfortunately it's stuck in the unit. You can hear the stereo trying to eject it but the spindles and maybe the hear unit are plugged into the tape, it won't come out. Don't want to break it, stereo and speakers are great otherwise.

Question: If I take out the stereo unit is it easy to open her up and pull that tape out? Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks much!

Bear

Its been 4 or 5 years since I took my head unit apart to clean what looked like coke that had been spilled on the inside of the display by the previous owner, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. The faceplate has to come off to gain access to the drive. The controls and the display are connected to the main boards via a couple of ribbon cables which are terminated in swing lock style connectors on the boards. The biggest hassle is disconnecting and then re inserting those ribbon cables into the swing locks without damaging them. I R&Rd the deck and on re install I found that one of the preset buttons did not work. I discovered that a couple of the pins on the swing lock were not inserting into the cable correctly. Repositioning the ribbon and relocking the connector fixed that; but, it is easy to damage the ribbon if you are not careful. Other than that, it just a lot of machine screws to remove.

It might be possible to get the faceplate off far enough to get access to the drive without disconnecting the cables. Like I said, its been a while and the details are a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:
Back