• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with flasher removal

Hey everyone. Need some help with removing the flasher unit. I already referenced this thread and the pdf, but can't get over the hump.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...th-Hyperflash-and-Brake-Lamp-Failure-Solution

Was able to remove the lower cover and locate the flasher unit. I've looked at pictures of the unit and see the tabs on the top, but it's unclear to me where exactly to stick the screwdriver and what direction. I've tried several times and am making no headway. Can anyone help with more detailed steps?

Incidentally I tried to remove the lower panel as well to gain more access, and unscrewed the two screws, but it won't come off. Still seems attached somewhere up top where it meets the gauge pod.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

If I recall, it is hard to see, but there is a piece of metal that slides in the plastic grooves on the top of the flasher box (the end opposite of the wire harness). You have to slide the top of the box off of the metal tab thing. If you are looking directly at the white writing on the box, put your fingers behind the box and pull it toward your face. The top should slide off the metal frame. Basically apply force in the direction normal to the plane of the writing, no screw driver necessary, but it will take some force.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I did see that thread and am going to go back and try at it again tonight. The main thing is that none of the guides tell you whether you pull the flasher unit out towards you, to the right, or to the left. And none of them post pics of the top of the flasher so you can see where to insert the screwdriver (if necessary). I'm going to rectify that if I manage this successfully tonight. Hoping that Owali's direction to pull backwards towards my face works.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow... this was a royal pain in the arse! Finally got the damn thing off. Here are my tips for whoever else attempts this madness.

The space around the flasher is tight. I ended up removing the lower dash panel, the knee bolster, AND the plate behind the bolster. Once those were removed, I was able to get my left hand into the space by the flasher. Without the left hand in there, it's incredibly difficult to get enough leverage on the unit. As some people noted in a different thread, with the knee bolster, once you have the bolts off, you just have to commit and pull hard straight out. Initially I was scared of breaking something and so I didn't commit. Having read the other comments, I just yanked and it popped off. IMG_5348.jpg

Once you're able to get your hands in there, you are pulling forward, towards you to get the flasher off. I found that it helped to pull forward and down. See pics below of the unit from multiple angles. IMG_5367.jpgIMG_5368.jpgIMG_5369.jpgIMG_5370.jpgIMG_5372.jpgIMG_5373.jpgIMG_5374.jpg

Thankfully, if you ever have to do this, it's probably just the once.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, wear some mechanix gloves or similar. Otherwise you stand a fair chance of doing some damage to yourself. Also, as it looks like the unit is attached through friction, it may help to shimmy it back and forth as you pull forward to break the bond.

Great info. One tip, learned from experience. Wedding rings are great conductors of electricity. Its good to remove all rings, etc when working with wiring.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I did see that thread and am going to go back and try at it again tonight. The main thing is that none of the guides tell you whether you pull the flasher unit out towards you, to the right, or to the left. And none of them post pics of the top of the flasher so you can see where to insert the screwdriver (if necessary). I'm going to rectify that if I manage this successfully tonight. Hoping that Owali's direction to pull backwards towards my face works.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow... this was a royal pain in the arse! Finally got the damn thing off. Here are my tips for whoever else attempts this madness.

The space around the flasher is tight. I ended up removing the lower dash panel, the knee bolster, AND the plate behind the bolster. Once those were removed, I was able to get my left hand into the space by the flasher. Without the left hand in there, it's incredibly difficult to get enough leverage on the unit. As some people noted in a different thread, with the knee bolster, once you have the bolts off, you just have to commit and pull hard straight out. Initially I was scared of breaking something and so I didn't commit. Having read the other comments, I just yanked and it popped off. View attachment 131385

Once you're able to get your hands in there, you are pulling forward, towards you to get the flasher off. I found that it helped to pull forward and down. See pics below of the unit from multiple angles. View attachment 131386View attachment 131387View attachment 131388View attachment 131389View attachment 131390View attachment 131391View attachment 131392

Thankfully, if you ever have to do this, it's probably just the once.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, wear some mechanix gloves or similar. Otherwise you stand a fair chance of doing some damage to yourself. Also, as it looks like the unit is attached through friction, it may help to shimmy it back and forth as you pull forward to break the bond.

Once was enough for me.

Back