• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with PPI advice in the Dallas area

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster on NSX prime. I've read this site for many years and have learned a great deal from the numerous threads.

I've been a fan of the NSX since its introduction, but never could come close to being able to afford one. Well, the chance to be the keeper of one of these legends is getting closer and closer.

The NSX I'm considering is in the Dallas area and the names of: RUF and Autoscope have been supplied as possible 3rd parties to perform a PPI on the car. What do you think? Do you have an Acura dealer with a NSX expert that you would feel more comfortable with that does work on your cars?

This is a HUGE $$$ amount for me and I want to get this right! The wife is none to crazy about spending this much on a used car (you know the drill) so any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster on NSX prime. I've read this site for many years and have learned a great deal from the numerous threads.

I've been a fan of the NSX since its introduction, but never could come close to being able to afford one. Well, the chance to be the keeper of one of these legends is getting closer and closer.

The NSX I'm considering is in the Dallas area and the names of: RUF and Autoscope have been supplied as possible 3rd parties to perform a PPI on the car. What do you think? Do you have an Acura dealer with a NSX expert that you would feel more comfortable with that does work on your cars?

This is a HUGE $$$ amount for me and I want to get this right! The wife is none to crazy about spending this much on a used car (you know the drill) so any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

i'm also a non-owner / prime lurker, and a Dallas native. I have heard there are some NSX pros at acura dealership in Plano on plano pkwy.

gluck

Goodson Acura has a guy thats supposed to be the NSX bomb.
Forgot his name. Starts with "C" I think.
Mike Luongo at RUF is a straight shooter but I dont know his NSX experiance.
Steve at Autoscope can steer you to someone.

I myself would be willing to test the adhesion qualities of the rear tires. Anything to help ;)
Seriously; I will be in Dallas tomorrow and would be willing to kick the tires.
No charge and I've already got one so I'm not going to steal your deal.
David
817-475-6112

Hello Silverwing,

I'm also an NSXPrime lurker for several months since I found this website while recently deployed overseas. I'm in a similar situation to you. I've drooled over the NSX since they came out in 91 and am only recently in a position where owning one might be possible. I live in the Arlington/Mansfield area and would be willing to take a look at the car for you if it wasn't too far away from here (I'm closer to the FW side of DFW). I wouldn't call it a "real PPI", but I am very technically savvy with cars and could at least rule out any relatively obvious issues without costing you anything.

As far as dealers go, I regulary have my TL serviced at Vandergriff in Arlington. I've discussed the issue of NSX service with them. They've basically told me that they see a few in for service occasionally but I didn't get a "warm fuzzy" that they are NSX experts. I bought my car at Goodson, but have no experience with their service capabilities. My service advisor at Vandergriff used to work at Mac Churchill, so I'll ask him the next chance I get about their level of NSX experience.

I don't have my NSX yet, but I wouldn't steal a good one from you. My wife and I are actually currently in the process of selling our house and buying a new one. Throwing a discretionary NSX purchase into the middle of that process would probably run the risk of bodily injury from my spouse. :)

Lightguy/David,
I've been interested in finding a "local" NSX owner in my area that would be willing to let me take a look at one of these older beauties (I'm in the market for a 91-94). I've been telling my youngest son all about them since I got back from Iraq a few weeks ago. He seems to be the only one of my kids that shares my interest in fine automobiles. :)

Patrick

Lightguy/David,
I've been interested in finding a "local" NSX owner in my area that would be willing to let me take a look at one of these older beauties (I'm in the market for a 91-94). I've been telling my youngest son all about them since I got back from Iraq a few weeks ago. He seems to be the only one of my kids that shares my interest in fine automobiles. :)

Patrick

No problem.
Call the above #.
I'm in Arlington on the Mansfield border.
Lets find you a car, a passion of mine.
David

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your input it is most welcomed!!! Texas is Great!!!

I'm probably going to have the car PPI'd this week or next, I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't think it would be really easy to go kick the tires or give it a test spin.

Lightguy you know more about how the car should feel...clutch... and track down the road than I do... If it was easy, I really would mind you giving it a test drive, but I don't think that will work out.

Light guy have you ever driven a stock S2000? And if so, is the clutch pick-up and feel similar in a healthy ( clutch ) NSX?

I think (know ) this car will need a timing belt / water pump change ASAP.
Any ideas on what Acura is currently changing?

Thanks again, I will keep you updated as this all progresses along.

Jeff

I highly recommend you call Goodson Acura on Hwy 183 just east of Texas stadium (the old home of the Cowboys)

Ph: 972-554-8705

Ask for Richard Furcht as a Service Advisor and he will arrange it for Curtis a Master Mechanic who does all the work on the NSX's help you.

RUF is a Porsche tunner and Autoscope is German mostly BMW, I have delt with Goodsen and David McDavid, both have NSX mechanics, I have delt with both. I own a 2004 TL and a 91 NSX, because of the proximity to Goodsen I have had most of my service work preformed there, However on several occasions they have overcharged, and said I needed parts that did not need to be replaced, Brakes, and ECU, I have no time for that kind of business practice and will be using David McDavid from now on.
The Mechanic there is Carl and did all the service on my NSX from day one, he has a great reputation, I would call David Mcdavid for your inspection it is money well spent
If you want to chat call me at 972-579-1551

Good Luck
ED Resh

Carl at David McDavid is NSX certified and Curtis at Goodson is also NSX certified. I have talked to both. They are both knowledgeable but I don't trust the service adviser at both places. I would talk to Carl or Curtis on what service they recommend on NSX. If you have question on NSX please call me at 817-683-4211 or email [email protected]

Sam

THANK YOU, THANK YOU,

Gentlemen of Texas,

Your advice was greatly appreciated... I ended up getting the car PPI'd at McDavid by Carl.

He discovered some minor issues with the car that I would not have found until a later date & time when I would try to finally use them.... so far...

I was driving the car in overcast /rainy conditions on 9-18-09 and when I turned on the marker lights & head lights, the radio & HVAC unit lights dimmed, bit I couldn't see the instrument panel lights. I thought a blown fuse or something, I turned the dimmer for the instrument panel to full ( all the way to the right, volume 10 ) and it was dark. So the first time my wife and pulled over for a potty break, I pulled a blanket over my head and the instrument cluster and it was dark... so I started play with the dimmer and it slowly lit up... I turned it all the way to the left, volume zero and full brightness ( was this thing built in Japan or something? ). I'm sure the by stander in the gas station thought I was NUTS. My already does so it's really nothing new...

Anyhow, we drove the 900+ miles in pouring down rain, misty conditions, sunny with wet roads, sunny dry roads and made it home alive...thank the Lord!! Tennessee's I-40 on a Friday night in the dark, wet roads and nasty truckers made for a long dangerous night, but we made it.

Once again, thanks your for your help, and Carl at McDavid is someone is would recommend to do your PPI if you in the Dallas market. I'm sure the other names mentioned were good too.

According to the CARFAX the car was service at McDavid for many years, so I thought they would remember it and know it.

Looks like you all got yourself a new Texas sized stadium to break-in today! Enjoy!!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Ohio

Lightguy/David,

Patrick

You served. After I served I got zip.
You get a ride. Make that drive. Bring your son and he can ride while dad drives.

Last edited:
You served. After I served I got zip.
You get a ride. Make that drive. Bring your son and he can ride while dad drives.

Sorry. Will do. Between work, school, building a new house, and getting reintegrated with my family after a one year deployment, I've just been a little out of the "NSX loop" for a bit. I'm definitely interested in coming to take a look at your car. What does your schedule look like the rest of the extended weekend?

Patrick

Sorry. Will do. Between work, school, building a new house, and getting reintegrated with my family after a one year deployment, I've just been a little out of the "NSX loop" for a bit. I'm definitely interested in coming to take a look at your car. What does your schedule look like the rest of the extended weekend?

Patrick

DOH !
I was around all Thanksgiving but didnt check here at prime.
This weekend is good LMK.

Back