• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need machine shop for engine block and rotating assembly rebuild

I hope experienced owners can point me to good discussion threads here or elsewhere describing their builds done at a good machine shop.

I'm located in SoCal and prefer a local shop, but I'll appreciate reading discussions about shops anywhere who did a good or bad build.

I already have picked out the shop to do the cylinder heads.

My Zanardi #13 wants to get back on the road.

My plan is to do the motor removal myself, using a two post lift at a shop and an engine cradle so it'll be done quickly and safely. Then send the cylinder head and engine block to two separate shops, and while they're at it, I'll work on the electronics using an aftermarket ECU and my own hand soldered wiring harness. It's just an "engine refresh" type of build. No forced induction and no ITBs. I want to keep the stock DBW throttle.

The main reason I want to use an after market ECU is for easier diagnostics. Thus recommendations on that are welcome. I remember reading that some ECUs can show a plot of the camshaft angle sensor's output when connected to a laptop computer. That's the level of diagnostics I'm looking for. Once it's running well with the aftermarket ECU, I may put the stock ECU back with the stock wiring harness and compare performance.

I'm an electronics engineer by education and employment, so I know this stuff, and still love handling my soldering iron, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, and digital multimeter.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with the engine that you feel it needs a rebuild? I am guessing the car probably doesn't have a lot of miles on it being a Zanardi?

I mean have you seen the high mileage thread? You can get 200k miles out of these motors easy when regular maintenance is performed.

I'll be a little more direct, What is wrong with the engine that you feel it needs a rebuild?

Last edited:
To give a proper reply would rouse up all sorts of interpersonal and professional conflicts, both financial and technically speaking.

That's why, in recent years, I've hung out with the Honda inline four engine build crowd instead of you folks.

every car can be improved upon even a Zanardi, hell if i owned one i would still pull the top end and get it port and polished and lighten up the valve train just because i wanted to!
I have had SOS do work on my engine and have heard really good things from people i have done business with about Nick @Applied Motorsport and Jon Martin, i used Port Flow to redo my heads and was really happy with their work

Only word of advice, pick a shop that has worked on NSX engines, the more experience the better. Since you are in SoCal, I really would consider Autowave, Driving Ambition which is in NoCal or SOS in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Or ... do a J swap, followed by conversion to electric drive, then go back to original engine. Time frame: 2015, 2020, 2025.

Both Autowave and SOS have worked on this car. I don't ever want to take this car back to either of those shops.

Now, having said that, all sorts of alliances will start to form, depending on who you know, who you respect, what you know, and ... the biggie ... heh heh ... what you don't know.

Let's have a Senate panel call KGP to testify.

Last edited:
Back