• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need new coolant expansion tank - opinions needed

Which tank should I get

• Dali OEM Billet rectangular style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BBSC style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My OEM white tank has developped a hairline crack and needs replacement. I already read the FAQs and did a search, but did not find any comparo between coolant expansion tanks available out there. Please help me decide by writing up about your experience and opinions on these.

Please fill up the poll above and here are the options:
OEM - no link necessary for this one
Dali Billet Cylindrical style
Dali OEM Billet Rectangular style
Science of Speed
BBSC style

TIA
alex

I didn't realize the OEM (ugly) plastic jug had such a following. :eek: Everytime I've opened the hood to show my engine to people, I've always wished that tank would look different...

apapada said:
I didn't realize the OEM (ugly) plastic jug had such a following. :eek: Everytime I've opened the hood to show my engine to people, I've always wished that tank would look different...

It's still an engine compartment no matter how much bling you put in there. I use my money for mods that actually do beneficial things.

Hugh said:
It's still an engine compartment no matter how much bling you put in there. I use my money for mods that actually do beneficial things.

Ditto
My '92 came w/ an aftermarket billet tank when I bought it. Besides the bling effect (not appealing to me) it didn't have baffels inside. On the track it would spill coolant. I bought a new oem tank for around $100. The last guy that wanted a look at the engine said "wow, the engine compartment still looks so modern" - but maybe that was partly due to the red manifold and valve covers. And yes, the red makes my car faster. :tongue:
Reliability is also important for a part like this.

Last edited:
apapada said:
I didn't realize the OEM (ugly) plastic jug had such a following. :eek:
I am a follower of the OEM tank for four (4) reasons:

1) It has the factory reliability built-in (my old tank worked for 15 years, that's enough proof for me).
2) It's a direct bolt-on, no excuses or hassles.
3) It is the factory part, which, at time of resale, provides some visual proof that I didn't dink around with the car. Providing an OEM-stock car means a lot to many buyers in the collector car resale market.
4) It's the least expensive option out there.

Another option is to paint the OEM coolant tank. Mine, after 8 years started to show discoloration even when 90% of the time it is parked in a closed garage - but it does see track time.

Pics are here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=682833&postcount=23

I was at the track last Friday with ambient temps in the low to mid 90F, and the paint held up well. My alternative was Dali's baffled coolant tank with the matching engine cover red color. YMMV.

Mine cracked a few years ago and I replaced it with the OEM tank. I recently bought the OEM black tank cover from SoS to cover it.

wow. great advice and discussion. Might get another OEM afterall, but not completely sold yet. Maybe the reliability of the SOS product makes me reconsider... we'll see when this poll is over. In the mean time I'm not driving my NSX, just don't want this thing to blow up on me. :wink:

I painted mine with black wrinkle paint to match the valve covers and it looks like an OEM part with OEM benefits ....but it is more attractive than the OEM white plastic. It was easy to do and I highly recommend it.

stevenlee said:
I painted mine with black wrinkle paint to match the valve covers and it looks like an OEM part with OEM benefits ....but it is more attractive than the OEM white plastic. It was easy to do and I highly recommend it.

Steven, any pics of the wrinkle look? After I did mine, I found out at one NAPA store that Krylon makes a wrinkle spray in red as well (besides just the black) but can't find it on their website. At the time I called before the project, but Krylon said it came in black only.

Hrant,

I do have some pictures but I don't know how to post them. I'd be happy to post if someone could tell me how to, otherwise, send me a PM with your email and I'll send pics to you.

What I like best about the black wrinkle paint is that it makes the tank look OEM (matches the valve covers) but looks much better than the white plastic.

P.S. The custom floor mats that you made for me are AWESOME!!!!!

See you at NSXPO
Steve

stevenlee said:
attachment.php

looks nice
what kind of paint did u use and where can we get one :biggrin:

The paint I used is Krylon.

I cleaned the tank and did a light sanding. Then I sprayed several coats of Krylon Wrinkle paint. I used a blow drier to heat up the paint and bring up the wrinkle effect. It was quite simple to do and matches the valve covers very well. After the photo was taken and the tank was installed, I decided that I didn't like the white plastic "sight glass" so I painted it in place with a Q-Tip and paint. It took several applications but the patch is invisible.

I think it makes the tank look much better. The white plastic always looked a little "inferior" to me. It's one of the best engine bay dress up options you can do for under $10!

Just wanted to thank everyone who voted, expressed their opinion and shared their experience.

I have decided to go the OEM route, and maybe paint it black with Krylon at least it wont be an eye-sore anymore. This yields my question:

where did you buy your OEM tank and for how much ?

thanks,
Alex

apapada said:
where did you buy your OEM tank and for how much ?
I bought mine (19101-PR7-A02) from Niello Acura one (1) month ago for $79.76 (after NSXCA discount). :wink:

Autophile said:
I bought mine (19101-PR7-A02) from Niello Acura one (1) month ago for $79.76 (after NSXCA discount). :wink:

That's a 25% discount from list which is $106.35. Ciro at Delray Acura might be able to do a 30% discount. Call him at 561-265-0000 Option 3 and tell him Hugh sent you.

You can bid on a Delray Acura $100.00 gift certificate to benefit NSXPO2006 by clicking the link in my signature. (Until 9/23/06)

Hugh said:
That's a 25% discount from list which is $106.35. Ciro at Delray Acura might be able to do a 30% discount. Call him at 561-265-0000 Option 3 and tell him Hugh sent you.

Got the part yesterday. Surprisingly I was charged more than what Ciro told me he would charge me (same deal as yours). I need to call and find out.

I painted the part black and it's already installed. Engine bay now looks MUCH better than in white.

thank you all for helping out with my decision.
alex

I tried doing this over the weekend, and after I ran short of time I put it all back together. Can someone tell me how you are keeping the hoses plugged and air from getting into the system without creating a big pool of coolant on the garage floor while doing this?

I was going to just vise-grip the fat bottom hose, put the cap on and put a plastic vaccum cap from auto zone on the two inlets at the top (figuring if there is no air pressure going in, the bottom won't leak too much til I get it stuffed with something.

Or do I need to drain it? how are you guys doing this neatly?

That wrinkle paint looks really good I am thinking of red wrinkle paint to match my red valve covers now.

I drained the coolant off the tank before removing it. I used 2 funnels (1 short, 1 very long) into each other and a oil pan underneath. I disconnected all clamps before removing the hoses. Except a few drops, all of the fluid come out fine. FYI, the expansion tank has baffles and if you are not carefull, you might end up dropping some that was still left inside. Took me longer to paint the thing than removing and reinstalling it.

what about the fat bottom hose? won't it keep leaking if not connected? how do you plug that?

Back