• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need new stereo

OK, I’m finally trying to move into the 21st Century when it comes to Audio. I’m currently in the process of ripping my entire CD collection into MP3 files. I’m less than ½ way done and I’m over 8GByte of memory. I guesstimate I will need a 32GByte USB drive to store my audio collection.

What are my options for changing out the Car Stereo in my NSX? I haven’t listened to the stereo in about a year as the Bose amps are crackling again and rather than order new amplifiers to swap out like I did 7 years ago, I figure it might be time to upgrade the whole system.

Anyone have recommendations for what I should get?

I'm with you, I have all oem equipment too and would like to upgrade.

Cheapest route is always to rebuild the amps. BrianK is well known on Prime for doing this. But if you're intent on upgrading to something else, then the next least expensive solution is probably to keep the head unit and just replace the amplifier function.

Most car audio systems have a single, central amp and it's not too difficult to re-wire the system with a single central amp and put it behind the driver seat on the bulkhead. This will require you to open up your door panels and bypass the BOSE amps but you'll be able to keep the factory door wiring and OEM door speakers (or change them out). This will also allow you to continue to use your OEM sub but will need to bypass the BOSE amp for it as well. Of course, amps come in all sizes, power, and price ranges so that is likely the most variable cost in this approach.

I used an Alpine V60 amp (approx $300) and probably could have done with less. I also used the SOS wiring harness to simplify connections to the head unit. I added the SOS ipod adapter at the same time and run music off the newer 1.5" square iPOD while I leave in the car in the ashtray. Other than that, it's typical car stereo wiring stuff. Buy a kit that provides a fuse block and provides gauge 4 wiring. By installing behind the drivers seat, you only need to run the power wire through the bulkhead and it's a short run to the factory fuse block in the engine compartment. You can also use a factory ground point close by. The rest of the wires run through the center console to the head unit area.

I wrote a DIY article for NSX Driver magazine several issues ago so if you're an NSXCA member, you may already have it.

Well if your OEM equipment works LMK and I'll buy your radio and center console :)

I'm not completely against rebuilding the amps again. In fact, an ideal solution if possible, is re-build the amps, keep the head unit as is, but replace the 6-disc changer with something that can play songs from a USB stick or other memory device. So I could select the CD player, and it would play whatever I select from my entire collection or can play it in random order. I don't mind if I have to have a seperate controller to control the playback, but I do want it to do so when I select CD so the smartenna will function as normal and lower the antenna when not listening to the radio (which I will spend the majority of the time listening to my collection).

I have found a driver that seems to so far be working ideally in the Bose enclosures with the amp removed and some acoustical insulation added instead. You would need a seperate amp to drive these speakers, but it keeps all ye factory enclosures and keeps it all pretty OEM only with MUCH better sound. Plus you now are like any other standard system, not having to rely on this goofy amp-built-into-speaker thing. You can use with the OEM radio or aftermarket easily (without any adapters). I'll be posting more on my thread soon.

What are my options for changing out the Car Stereo in my NSX? I haven’t listened to the stereo in about a year as the Bose amps are crackling again and rather than order new amplifiers to swap out like I did 7 years ago
I'm not completely against rebuilding the amps again.
Just in case you're not aware (as it sounds like you're not), the cost for Briank to refurbish each NSX speaker-amp assembly is $80, including return shipping. So you can have both sides done for probably about a tenth of what you have to pay for new amplifiers. You can find more details on his website here, including pricing, removal instructions, etc.

Just in case you're not aware (as it sounds like you're not), the cost for Briank to refurbish each NSX speaker-amp assembly is $80, including return shipping. So you can have both sides done for probably about a tenth of what you have to pay for new amplifiers. You can find more details on his website here, including pricing, removal instructions, etc.
No, I am aware of BrianK as well as WillmansElectronics. That only solves the crackling problem. I'm looking for what are my options to be able to play mp3 files from a mass storage device. If I can do it with the stock head unit, that would be great as I prefer to not mess up the look of the dash, but I do want to update from playing CD's and having to swap them out periodically to having my entire library always available.

No, I am aware of BrianK as well as WillmansElectronics. That only solves the crackling problem. I'm looking for what are my options to be able to play mp3 files from a mass storage device. If I can do it with the stock head unit, that would be great as I prefer to not mess up the look of the dash, but I do want to update from playing CD's and having to swap them out periodically to having my entire library always available.

All you need is a USB adapter from USAspec. It will connect directly to where your CD changer is (replaces CD changer) and you will be able to use your oem sound system. It's plug and play and totally reversible. Look at this thread for more info. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121560

The stock Bose system really isn't that bad (when its working). It'll be about $300 for Briank to fix all amps and fixture $100 max for USAspec USB adapter.

All you need is a USB adapter from USAspec. It will connect directly to where your CD changer is (replaces CD changer) and you will be able to use your oem sound system. It's plug and play and totally reversible. Look at this thread for more info. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121560

+1. Add a Panavise mount & phone holder, and it's a perfect setup for iPhone navigation apps too:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1596303&postcount=6

Here's everything you need (in addition to the iPod adapter, obviously) to duplicate my setup:

Panavise Mount for NSX, 75119-498
Universal Phone Holder (includes the adapter plate needed to go on the Panavise mount)
3.5mm to RCA cable (for listening to non iDevices)

OK, what's the best device for storing 32 GB of music and playing it back.
I'm not interested in all of the extras an ipod offers, but if it is the best device still for storing and playing music, so be it.

Well you could just use a large USB drive, that is about as simple as it gets. The adapter will play the MP3's directly off of that.

OK, what's the best device for storing 32 GB of music and playing it back.
I'm not interested in all of the extras an ipod offers, but if it is the best device still for storing and playing music, so be it.

Well, you could use something like this with a USB drive, or buy a generic mp3 player and use a cassette adapter to play it through the stereo, if you want some cheap options.

But if you want better sound and more flexibility, then I'd go with the USA SPEC PA11-HON (but buy the correct version!) and install that, as mentioned above.

If you go aftermarket for the stereo, you have all sorts of options but the prices go up accordingly as well. There are plenty of threads discussing aftermarket radios if you perform a search.

Last edited:
It's working. Turns out my amps were fine. Daryl at Willmanselectronics was pretty sure his amplifiers he sold me 7+ years ago were still OK and suggested my head unit was likely going out, so I went with his advice, pulled out the head unit and shipped it off to him for repair. I got it back and everything is working fine again. Well, I had already bought a used ipod off ebay, Gen 5 with 30 GB of storage. I also had bought the PA11-Hon from Amazon. So I just plugged it all together in the trunk and it worked like a champ. I now have my original stereo so the dash looks like it should, and access to my entire audio collection of >4300 songs. OK, the ipod is just sitting in the trunk with the PA11-Hon for the moment, this weekend I'll jack up the NSX and figure out how best to run the cable from the trunk into the center console storage bin. Oh, just so you know, the smartenna is still working so when I listen to my ipod, the antenna is down and when I choose the radio, the antenna goes up. I am one very happy music loving NSX owner. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
Well, I hope the PA11-Hon is tougher than iPods. I know the manual said that iPods aren't normally designed for the high heat of a parked car in the sun. Presumably the PA11-Hon is tougher than that, but I wonder if it is tough enough for being mounted in the engine compartment. We will see, cuz that's where it is, tucked up in the corner near the fan that blows outside air into the engine compartment. If it dies, I guess I will have to buy a new one and re-think my installation method. I will say, it sure was nice only having to drill 3 holes in aluminum instead of steel. Especially having to drill one of them 1/2 inch diameter and the other two 3/4 inch diameter.

So the din cable is routed out of the trunk up by the trunk hinge, past the hinge and then into the engine bay. The iPod cable is routed through the bottom of the center console storage bin, through the floor between the shifter cables and the parking brake cables, then under the car it is routed around the gas tank and up into the corner of the engine bay where both cables are connected to the PA11-Hon box. The PA11 and the cables are all taped together with black electrical tape forming what should be a fairly tight water proof seal. both cables are tie-strapped forming the mounting of the unit in it's location.

Last edited:
Back