Need opinions regarding body work

I damaged a section of the car by the Vin # sticker (the sticker that is visble on the side of the driver side door when you open it). It turns out I need to repaint the whole area. Now, I've got 3 choices:

1) Remove the Vin decal & others and repaint the whole area. The Vin decal cannot replaced so that is gone forever.

2) Mask the Vin decal and the other decals and repaint the whole area. This will not look as clean and there is a high likelihood there will be some paint on the edges of the decals.

or......

3) Leave it alone since the damage is not visible unless u open the door.

I'm leaning on 1. What are ur opinions? (By the way, this is giving me nightmares at night, please help me ease the pain!).

I would rather retain the decals and risk some paint along the edges, than lose them entirely. So I would go for 2 over 1.

But whatever you decide to do, it's not worth losing sleep over.

Just curious...when you have a car repainted, what do you do with these kind of stickers? What about if it is a color change? I don't want to get into anything illegal here, but if it was me, I would take a picture of the original sticker (for records purposes) and then try to recreate it using photoshop or some such program.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by RyRy210:
1) Remove the Vin decal & others and repaint the whole area. The Vin decal cannot replaced so that is gone forever

There's got to be a way to remove the sticker intact and reapply it.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
Just curious...when you have a car repainted, what do you do with these kind of stickers?

You can buy almost all the stickers that come on the car; each one has a part number that gets ordered when you have body work done on the car.

The only exceptions AFAIK are things like the VIN number plaques or the door jamb sticker with the date of manufacture, where the sticker is different for each individual car. I don't know how those are normally handled.

Back