• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need purchasing advice for JH4NA216XVT000321 - 1997 NSX with 70k miles 6MT

Hello,

I would like to ask for your expert opinion as I'm currently contemplating whether to buy this car or not and what the price should be. It's 1997 NSX, 6MT with 70k miles, black T-Top. The car visually looks very clean, has nice set of aftermarket wheels, exhaust, tein suspension, intake and high-end custom stereo (McIntosh amp, JL sub, Focal speakers, dvd / tv touch screen). Autocheck and Carfax shows clear title with 5 owners. California car all its life. The suspension was rebuilt and new clutch installed last August (still under warranty). Paperwork on this is available and I have seen it.

Local dealership in Calabasas, CA did a PPI inspection 1.5 months ago. Their findings include:
- A/C blows only on Max
- CAM plug is leaking oil
- Possible rear collision (I can visually see a small gap in how the trunk is aligned on the left (drivers) side, and a small crack on the inside of the trunk below the tail light by the hinge (drivers' side).
But, no sign of any frame damage or any other damage according to PPI.

What would be a reasonable price for this car? Is it worth buying or should I pass? It drives great when I took it out a few times.

Thank you - I appreciate any advice and looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 660
Autocheck

Report Run Date 2013-05-01 14:48:09.957 EDT
Vehicle: 1997 Acura NSX (JH4NA216XVT000321)
Event dateLocationOdometer reading Data SourceDetails
12/15/1997 CA 20
Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
01/12/1998 MONTEBELLO, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle)
01/14/1998 TORRANCE, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Leased Vehicle) (Lien Reported)
11/12/1998 PACIFIC SW REGION 19,240
Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
01/14/1999 CA 19,249
State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
02/27/1999 CA 19,307
03/23/1999 TUSTIN, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle)
04/02/1999 BREA, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Leased Vehicle) (Lien Reported)
02/09/2000 COSTA MESA, CA 27,716
02/18/2000 CA 27,722
03/03/2000 LOS ANGELES, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
03/15/2000 LOS ANGELES, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Lien Reported)
01/02/2002 CA 42,557
EMISSION INSPECTION
06/24/2004 CA 45,451
State Agency FAILED EMISSION INSPECTION
03/05/2009 CA 56,720
04/09/2009 CA 57,218
04/28/2009 CA 58,397
06/16/2009 HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA
06/26/2009 HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
09/16/2009 HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA
04/18/2011 CA 68,613
07/03/2012 ENCINO, CA
07/03/2012 CA 69,463
07/18/2012 ENCINO, CA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
02/05/2013 CA 70,112

<tbody>
</tbody>

I find it odd that with only one year under its belt it had 20k miles put on it and was shoved off to auction. makes me think that IF it was involved in an accident it was then. That and whats up with the car and not being able to pass inspection?

Aftermarket headers/cats/exhaust?

I have noticed along with several others that the price of NSXs is going up of late. Suggest you post the dealers asking price, photo of trunk area and then let people comment. When I purchased my NSX, I had been watching the sold cars here on Prime, Autotrader, Cars.com and sold listing on ebay to get an idea of a fair price. The only big ticket item for maintenance that is not mentioned is the timing belt/water pump service.

Last edited:
I have noticed along with several others that the price of NSXs is going up of late. Suggest you post the dealers asking price, photo of trunk area and then let people comment. When I purchased my NSX, I had been watching the sold cars here on Prime, Autotrader, Cars.com and sold listing on ebay to get an idea of a fair price. The only big ticket item for maintenance that is not mentioned is the timing belt/water pump service.

I do not know the timing belt / water pump service, so I am going to assume it would need to be done. The car is not being sold by a dealer, but by a private party who is not very forthcoming to say the least. But he took possession of the car from someone else as collateral on a loan, and has been trying to sell it for a year now. He had it listed on eBay earlier for $40k, but now asking less.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I made a typo above - the *transmission* was rebuilt, not the suspension.

I would pass on this car and keep looking if I were you.

Why would you pass on it? Original CA car, good high end mods, those rims alone should be worth $2k if in good condition. 97 so it has the 6 spd, still low miles imo. If this car was $36k or less, why not?

I agree with rjwong on the price. Most NSX purchases require $3-4000 to bring maintenance up to date and other issues. I believe Niguel Motors can give you a price on the timing belt work and cam plugs can be done at the same time. Climate control issue is a common repair for the NSX, Brian K on this forum can do the repair. As long as you are comfotable that there is no frame damage, buy it and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I agree with rjwong on the price. Most NSX purchases require $3-4000 to bring maintenance up to date and other issues. I believe Niguel Motors can give you a price on the timing belt work and cam plugs can be done at the same time. Climate control issue is a common repair for the NSX, Brian K on this forum can do the repair. As long as you are comfotable that there is no frame damage, buy it and enjoy it.

$3-4k is what I estimated as well. In fact, I called Ramon with Niguel Motors and spoke to him already. He can do the Cam plugs, Timing belt and repair the A/C control. So this car is not worth $40k, but it would be worth around 32-35k? Just trying to get a sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I would pass on this car and keep looking if I were you.

Do you mind elaborating? I'm on the fence right now whether to pull the trigger or not.

$3-4k is what I estimated as well. In fact, I called Ramon with Niguel Motors and spoke to him already. He can do the Cam plugs, Timing belt and repair the A/C control. So this car is not worth $40k, but it would be worth around 32-35k? Just trying to get a sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mind elaborating? I'm on the fence right now whether to pull the trigger or not.
Do not pull the trigger on this one, that is quite a lot for a car that needs a few thousand dollars worth of work in it before it is good for the road. Be patient and another car will come along. It took me 3 months before I found mine.

Do not pull the trigger on this one, that is quite a lot for a car that needs a few thousand dollars worth of work in it before it is good for the road. Be patient and another car will come along. It took me 3 months before I found mine.

I don't get it.. Let's say yes this Nsx is $35k, you put $3k into it to make it up to date on maintenance, I still think that's a good deal considering you would have a 97 Nsx with a brand new timing belt/ WP fluids etc etc for still under $40k... Not to mention the exhaust, suspension, upgraded stereo and rims which would have cost you thousands to do on your own over a stock Nsx... All these mods imo were tastefully done, high end parts i.e. Work rims and Mcintosh Amp/ focal speakers

I don't get it.. Let's say yes this Nsx is $35k, you put $3k into it to make it up to date on maintenance, I still think that's a good deal considering you would have a 97 Nsx with a brand new timing belt/ WP fluids etc etc for still under $40k... Not to mention the exhaust, suspension, upgraded stereo and rims which would have cost you thousands to do on your own over a stock Nsx... All these mods imo were tastefully done, high end parts i.e. Work rims and Mcintosh Amp/ focal speakers

This all makes sense. My concern is the possible rear collision and its impact on the value? I have no proof that it was hit, but the current owner just responds to anything with "it's a great car" refusing to acknowledge any fault. It didn't happen under his ownership, and just because the owner is shady doesn't take away from the car.. but still.

How many stock NSX's do you see out there? Considering that the car is more then a decade old I sure would hope that some updates have been done. I am not saying to buy a stock one unless that is what the OP wants. There are NSX's out there that the OP can purchase with tastefully done mods for similar price. That is just my opinion but the OP is the one ultimately making the decision so if the OP is unsure about it then that is a gut feeling you can't ignore.

If the inspection says no frame damage and both the autocheck and carfax are clear and you have the body panel misalignment fixed should be no worries. My best guess is maybe $1-3k deduct since it sounds like the repair was not done well. Its sounds like you have done your homework and no other surprises are left to discover. Make an offer you can live with and go from there. Walk away if the price is not right.

Last edited:
Looks pretty decent to me. Pop-up NA2s are getting decently hard to find well-sorted at a moderate price.

Last edited:
You're at least looking at 40k for a popup NA2. Even with what's wrong with it, I say that $40k gets it pretty close.

What are they asking?

not reported to car-fake, or auto-nothing someone wrecked it and fixed in their driveway. then sold it at auction. this car needs an NSx mech to take everything apart and inspect everything. panels missaligned isnt a big deal my DD panels are all off a little cuz I took my car apart 3000 times just for fun.

anyway intill its inspected by someone that knows NSX's I would keep looking there are others out there

and I agree prices are slowly creeping upwards. I like it.

not reported to car-fake, or auto-nothing someone wrecked it and fixed in their driveway. then sold it at auction. this car needs an NSx mech to take everything apart and inspect everything. panels missaligned isnt a big deal my DD panels are all off a little cuz I took my car apart 3000 times just for fun.

anyway intill its inspected by someone that knows NSX's I would keep looking there are others out there

and I agree prices are slowly creeping upwards. I like it.

Hi Shawn - the car was inspected by an NSX mech at a local Acura dealership during Pre Purchase Inspection. This is where I got the info above. I know they were thorough as they identified non original parts, such as one of the axles, and I've seen a receipt for it being changed last year when the transmission was rebuilt. Tires have a lot of life left, but are not new and have even wear.

So what's the price?

We (MDK International) bought the car from the previous owner. I also fixed quite a few things on it: 1) rear end panel alignment was addressed - rear bumper resprayed, taillights removed and sheet-metal readjusted. [no frame damage, just a previous fender bender to the left rear corner] 2) coilovers adjusted, suspension raised 1/2 inch, TEIN controller replaced. 3) all the hydroponic trunk and engine compartment supports replaced. 3) center console reupholstered in alcantara 4) seats redyed 5) front bumper spoiler replaced 6) oil leak fixed

Back